Options

Thoughts Over Coffee: Installing Fans

LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
Hi folks,
As I sat in the T@B for the last couple of days, I realized that a huge amount of heat was getting trapped behind or under the rear seat (depending on the position of the upright cushion).  Then, I noticed that the storage area underneath the long hinged lid was very warm, as was the back wall.  I've been thinking the following and would like some feedback from those of you who are more experienced.  
1. Install struts to hold hinged lid open.
2. Drill 2 -4 small holes in bottom of storage area box.
3. Install 2-4 small 12 V computer fans under holes to pull heat out and circulate it a bit more
4. I would chain the fans together and then add a switch next to the reading light.  It would be wired in at that location.

I haven't had a chance to see if I can even get to the bottom-side of that storage box to mount the fans, so that might make this impossible right off the bat.  I've seen that others drilled holes in the lid itself.  I also saw someone ran some pipe up to increase air circulation.    Here is a cross-section of what I'm envisioning.  Thoughts?

Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Do a search on "vent holes" to see what others have done help the warm air disperse. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    LauraRey, After looking at your diagram, and pondering [yep, over a nice cup of coffee as well], my thought would be this: Why not place the fan(s) somewhere on the hinged lid installed so the air is forced upward [Toward the back side where the hinge is located would seem to be best], with enough excess wire to accommodate the lifting of the lid, and perhaps one at each end to help circulate the air better. The wires could be covered with either tape, or automotive plastic wire wrap to help protect them.The switch you are mentioning would be attached where you suggested it would be. In my experience with the heater, it gets pretty darn warm in that little trailer with just the vents as they are, but I do agree there is a lot of trapped air in that area that could be better distributed as you suggest. What do 'ya think? Please bear in mind I'm still on the first cup! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Verna said:
    Do a search on "vent holes" to see what others have done help the warm air disperse. 
    I did.  Sorry, I thought I mentioned I had looked at what others had done.
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    Verna, If you are ever in this neck of the woods, please stop by, as I have seen you cool scroll work on your lid. I have a scroll saw, and a roto zip saw, just not a steady enough hand to make a pattern not look like a three year old attempted the work.  =)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    LauraRey, you did, she's still warming up her magic wand! :o
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    ericnliz said:
    Why not place the fan(s) somewhere on the hinged lid installed so the air is forced upward [Toward the back side where the hinge is located would seem to be best], with enough excess wire to accommodate the lifting of the lid, and perhaps one at each end to help circulate the air better. 
    So, looking down on it, something like this: (fans attached to underside of shelf behind holes)
  • Options
    You got it! Some kind of cover over the fans would be handy on the top side, like a speaker type cover to alleviate things falling into the fans. Of course if it's a holiday...confetti & a free party favor! =)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    ericnliz said:
    You got it! Some kind of cover over the fans would be handy on the top side, like a speaker type cover to alleviate things falling into the fans. Of course if it's a holiday...confetti & a free party favor! =)
    Yeah, with a seven-year old, covers would be important.  I'm just not sure I want the vents showing from an aesthetic point of view.  But, confetti is good. :)  I may have to go sit in the camper and think about it some more.  
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588

Could you provide a photo of the long hinged lid you are referring to?
    What model/year T@B do you have? 

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    TabberJohn, I'll help. On the newer T@B MaxS (2017), the lid on yours that hides the Alde reservoir with the two screws is now hinged at the back for easier access.
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    edited December 2016

Ah hah. Thanks!

For those interested you can add this type of info to your signature by clicking on your forum name in upper right corner, then Edit Profile button, then Signature Settings at bottom of list.
    That way when you post something we'll know what model you have. You can also indicate your TV (tow vehicle).

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    To maximize radiator flow for 4 season usage, it would be nice if they offered the option of a lattice wood shelf.
    The convection flow should be plenty without any fan action required.
    The shelf could include solid sections either side of the lattice so no worry about small things falling through.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    LauraRey, I've pondered on the same problem often...

However I wanted to keep the system 'passive', as designed. If you search online, you might find the Alde page where they show a diagram of their design theory. It's supposed to draw cool air from the floor, under the cabinets, through the heat-exchanger fins, and out the upper vent slots.

The cabinets, and stuff stored in there, can easily block that circulation. I think that's one of the weakest links in the Tab implementation of the Alde system. Cold floor.

So I was trying to come up with some kind of channelling system that would guarantee the air circulation. Something that would create that needed space for the air channel.

Just thinking out loud here, as I haven't gotten any further with it than that. Stuck on how to do the 'channels'.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    @ChanW I was just in the trailer pondering that exact idea, then came in and pulled the diagram. The heat exchanger is on the passenger side underneath the seat.  For me, the problem is that there is a lot of heat in the back that is getting trapped.  Upon further reflection and much conversation with my spouse, we think that for a first test, we'll add some stylish grates (one on each side) on the wall next to the shelf.  That way, we keep it passive as much as possible and hopefully provide another way for the heat to flow out.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @LauraRey, sorry I missed that ..... thank you for using the search function!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    LauraRey said:
    The heat exchanger is on the passenger side underneath the seat.

You sure about that?
    We've got a main radiator in back under the shelf which circulates from the floor vent slots under the back couch, then a passenger bench radiator with in vent slot on the floor and heat out the top slot.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    On ours, there are three exchangers... The two that TabberJohn mentions, plus the one under the driver's side bench.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I was thinking that some kind of channels would even help the side-bench ones, as they become kind of useless when the bed is down, ie: circulating only under the bed. But I suppose if the rear one were circulating better, it would compensate for the bed being down.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    edited December 2016
    Hmm, I don't have a heat exchanger under the drivers side bench.  There is a slot located at floor level under the tan outlets box, but nothing else.

Moderator note: Image resized - Everyone, please read the thread on photo sizes, the forum just can't handle the original sizes new phones and cameras produce. You must resize if you want to post images.
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Using the LauraRey pic of the panel with three holes, how about putting something similar to this in them...

Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Smullis7 - Ya, there's nothing on the drivers side - it's on the passenger side.
  • Options
    TerryV6 - I recall someone used something similar. Pics somewhere on the forum.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    You know what would be really awesome? Routing some of that heat into the bathroom. 

The Alde kept us cozy on the one trip we took in the fall, but the bathroom stayed cold. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    I did find quite a few varients of vent cap ideas, such as the multiple small black ones, or the pvc pipe idea.  Not sure if 6 small ones would disperse more heat than 3 larger ones... 
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    I think the more you have spaced along that radiator the better - That was my theory for mine, a series of 3/4" holes the whole length.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    Search "heat vents for the rear deck."
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    Interesting. LG changed from 3 heat exchangers to 2 between the early 2014 model and PXL's 2015.
    No wonder you need those pink flamingos PXL. Gotta get warm somehow=)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW, I'll bet those flamingos go pretty darn fast in the cold! Actually though, through our experience, the small space of the T@B heats up really well with just the two exchangers [2016 MAX S].
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    OutbackAZ said:
    Search "heat vents for the rear deck."
    Thanks..  It all depends on your search words, thats for sure...  I might go with the PXLated method...  First off, I have a hole cutter that size, then, more heat distribution...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    My vents no longer are a factor, I stay ahead of the cold. Nothing below 40 (preferably 50) no matter how far I have to drive :-)