Options

"Highway Thru Hell" TV Show

TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
edited December 2016 in Camping & Travel
Well, with winter set in with us and our camper safely stored away... sigh... we have done other things.  Late at night, when we settle back to read a good book or "attempt" to knit ( she is just learning but doing great,) we turn on the tube and watch what we call trash television.  One title my wife likes is the "Highway thru Hell" show, involving a heavy truck firm that works in BC and is based mostly on the Coquihalla Highway.. They remove wrecks, there are a lot of accidents in the winter for sure.. This is some beautiful country.  Has anyone traveled this section of the continent?  
Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
T@bbey  Road   
Appleton,  WI

Comments

• Options
    TommyTommy Member Posts: 175
    I have not traveled up that way but I do love that show :) 
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,676
    I drove the Alaska Highway last June from Southern California. From Hope, I took CA 1 and Hwy 97 north to Dawson Creek to pick up the Highway.  That route is just west of the "Highway Thru Hell."  (I didn't own my T@B yet...).  I was surprised to find that, even in the Canadian Rockies, the highest pass to cross is only about 4000 feet.  I've never seen the show, but the incredible remoteness must challenge all their skill, on top of snow, etc.  The further north you go from BC through the Yukon the country becomes more spectacular than I ever imagined.  And even more remote!  I've seen most of the western US, but I've never seen wide open spaces such as I saw on this drive.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    I took the train across Canada from Montreal to Vancouver once, and it is an amazing country! Other than camping in BC as a kid and a Vancouver trip before we got married way back when, no travel recently.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Boy, that looks like a 'fun' drive...

We drove "The Tail of the Dragon", in NC with our Tab this fall, and that was a treat. Although, as driver, I didn't get a chance to look at the scenery!

This looks like a 'must see'. On my list...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
      I was surprised to find that, even in the Canadian Rockies, the highest pass to cross is only about 4000 feet. 

There are many passes on major highways in the Canadian Rockies well over 6000 feet.  I have bicycle toured in the area extensively  and recall the passes quite well.  We also T@B toured there for 3 weeks in 2013.  I would estimate about 50% of the Icefields Parkway is above 4000 feet.  Then there are the Continental Divide crossings on the east-west routes!

Image result for icefields parkway elevation

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,676
    edited December 2016
    Should have been more specific:  the highest point I crossed going north from Hope to Anchorage was Pine Pass.....I'm sure the east to west routes were much higher!  The T@B must be a great support vehicle!  I'll use mine for the Lighthouse Century next year.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    edited December 2016
    ChanW said:
    Boy, that looks like a 'fun' drive...

We drove "The Tail of the Dragon", in NC with our Tab this fall, and that was a treat. Although, as driver, I didn't get a chance to look at the scenery!

This looks like a 'must see'. On my list...
    I was chosing between "Tail of the Dragon" and the Cherohala Skyway and chose the later this past November.  I was not disappointed (click on the full screen button to really see this one well).

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    pthomas745  All of our bicycle touring was fully self contained and unsupported.  Many of our T@B trips have been revisiting areas where we have traveled with our tandem bicycle in the past.  I'm pretty sure our bicycle touring background is why we find it so easy to fit everything we need for very comfortable travel in our T@B with room to spare.
    We still ride quite regularly but have not have not yet figured out how to include a tandem bicycle in our T@B travels. 

• Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    rfuss928 said:
    We still ride quite regularly but have not have not yet figured out how to include a tandem bicycle in our T@B travels. 
    This might do it: http://sandsmachine.com
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited December 2016
    Wow, nice photo Cyclonic!

Like I said, I was too busy driving (and dodging dumb bikers - actually only one dumb one), to even get a picture. And my DW was too busy gritting her teeth and cussing (although there was really no need to be nervous, I told her again and again...  ;) it might have been that she was the one sitting next to the giant cliff...)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    ChanW, I can relate to your wife's experience.  A few years ago we visited Switzerland.  Our rental car turned out to be a little Mercedes, which my husband loved driving - fast -  through the Alps hair pin switchbacks without guard rails.  And I was not happy either!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    edited December 2016
    ChanW said:
    Wow, nice photo Cyclonic!

Like I said, I was too busy driving (and dodging dumb bikers - actually only one dumb one), to even get a picture. And my DW was too busy gritting her teeth and cussing (although there was really no need to be nervous, I told her again and again...  ;) it might have been that she was the one sitting next to the giant cliff...)
    Oh yes, would have been a lot of fun to do.

Part of my decision was due to the bikes, I figured I would let them have their fun there as I would probably be the annoying one.

There was almost no one on the Cherohala, aside from the forest fire vehicles working the fire that was then in the Joyce Kilmore Wilderness Area.  Only as I was coming to the end did I even run into anyone in any of the overlooks.  A great drive, and very comparable to the Blue Ridge Parkway, which I had just finished driving the day before.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    I have driven that exact route many times in my travels to Edmonton, and once in mid-december even.  It just happens to be a road where the weather can turn very ugly fast in the wintertime, but otherwise it's your typical Rocky mountains pass.  Scenery is gorgeous of course, just like most of BC.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    SnapDogSnapDog Member Posts: 53
    Ah, "the Coke" , yes we've driven that road often in all types of weather and usually do so every year in either December or January to visit family for the holidays. But have never towed anything over it. I have been wondering how our little 4 cyl Tacoma will manage. 
    Sn@pDog, 2017 Outback, Silver w/black trim