Options

Towing with a 2017 ford escape

We are purchasing a tab max S within the next couple of months and would like to purchase a 2017 ford escape 2.0L ecoboost (3500 lb towing capacity).  Does anyone know if this vehicle is capable of towing easily through the mountains?  Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I have a 2013 escape 2.0 and it works fine in the mountains.
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    Our 2014 Escape 2.0L Ecoboost (turbo) is rated at 240hp/270torque.
    The 2017 model is 245/279 with an improved engine design (carbon deposit issue resolved).
    There are a plenty of T@B owners pulling with a lot less power than that.
    AWD is your best option (not technically 4WD).
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    tfire328tfire328 Member Posts: 22
    We pull ours with a 2016 Escape with the 2.0L and AWD. It handles the trailer great. The fuel economy hit is not too bad for towing a trailer. Very satisfied with the combo.
    Ted & Donna. Bay City, Michigan. Ford Escape, 2016 Tab Max-S

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    edited December 2016
    AWD is your best option (not technically 4WD).
    Yes, this.  For some reason I kept thinking 4WD, but they dropped it when they changed the body style after the 2012 model year.  They also dropped the V6 in favor of the new ecoboost engines, a good choice on Ford's part.  I just don't like the new body style :tongue:

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Lil_LucyLil_Lucy Member Posts: 82
    We tow our 2016 T@B Max S with a 2016 Ford Escape (2.0 Ecoboost, 3500 lb towing capacity, 4WD). Our daughter lives in Oregon and there is no way to get there from Michigan without crossing a mountain of some type. We've made the trip twice now and plan on doing it again this spring. No problems so far.
    2016 T@b 320 Max-S (Silver/Red Trim) / TV: 2019 Ford Flex
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
  • Options
    NewtabberNewtabber Member Posts: 5
    Thanks guys for all your comments. Makes the decision a lot easier
  • Options
    NewtabberNewtabber Member Posts: 5
    One last question. Do you all feel there's enough storage space in the escape to do an extended trip (10 days to 2 weeks)?
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    I have done several two plus week trips with two of us with no problem, plenty of space.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    sbhtennissbhtennis Member Posts: 67
    Any of you folks with a Ford Escape have some kind of back up camera system. My 2013 Ford Escape did  not come with one?
  • Options
    I have a '13 and mine came with one.  Makes hooking up really easy.  
  • Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    Nope, my 2013 didn't come with one either. I think it was only included in the parking package. A backup camera would be nice. I might take a look at a Garmin GPS w/wireless backup camera.

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    I am pretty sure a backup camera is standard on all new 2017 Escapes. The high end models definitely have them. I test drove a few new escapes and I really liked them.
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • Options
    They are standard on all escapes in 2017
  • Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    3500 pounds to capacity is fine.  You may need to get the vehicle with a factory tow package to get this capacity.  I started towing with a Ford Explorer with a 210 hp motor and thought it was usable but slightly under powered.  You should be good with 240 hp.   The explorer had a hitch rated to 3500 lbs but I found out the vehicle itself was only rated to 3200 lbs capacity.  That is why I would recommend a factory tow package and confirming with the dealer what the actual tow capaicty is for the vehicle you order.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    bryce0lynchbryce0lynch Member Posts: 5
    Yes, you need to ensure you get the tow package from the factory with the Escape to get the 3500 tow capacity, otherwise you are at 2000 pounds.

For the 2013-2016 Ford Escape there was nearly no mechanical difference between the tow package and those without. Just the wiring, the hitch, and electronic sway control. A certain percentage of the internet thinks that you can add the wiring/hitch after you buy and still tow 3500.

On the 2017 Escape the actual radiator fan/cooling is different when you get the tow package. This would indicate that, unless it comes from the factory with the tow option, you won't be able to reach 3500 by just adding a hitch/wiring.

[Insert 800 caveats and 6432 Internet flame wars about how much you can safely tow under what conditions.]
  • Options
    KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    The only thing I don't like about the escape tow package is that it does not offer a built in trailer brake controller and only comes with a 4 pin harness. So you still have to go aftermarket for some of the stuff you need. Compared to most of the other small SUV's, the escape offers the highest towing capacity.
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • Options
    bryce0lynchbryce0lynch Member Posts: 5
    The baseline Jeep Cherokee, with v6 & tow package, comes in at around the same price as the 3500#-tow escape ... and it tows 4500# and comes with a 7-pin connector. Only about 2" longer than the Escape, I think. 

They are both pretty interesting & inexpensive for the small trailer cohort. 
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    I have the Jeep Cherokee (Latitude Model) with the 3.2L engine and factory tow package and couldn't be happier with its power and performance pulling the T@B.  I was considering the Escape but the Cherokee had more interior room as well.  
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    seichedseiched Member Posts: 2
    I am about to purchase a T@b.  I am baffled by towing even after all the research I have done. 

I have a 2014 Ford Escape Ecoboost -- I believe it is a 2.0 engine with FWD.

A. Do you think this car  can handle the T@B
    B.  Do I need to get a brake controller?

• Options
    Z_GZ_G Member Posts: 38
    Not without factory tow package...
  • Options
    With factory tow..u need a brake controller and wire run from brake and charge wire from alternator to a connector for tab... Believe factory tow for smaller ford suvs have only wiring for trailer lights
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,501
    seiched said:
    I am about to purchase a T@b.  I am baffled by towing even after all the research I have done. 

I have a 2014 Ford Escape Ecoboost -- I believe it is a 2.0 engine with FWD.

A. Do you think this car  can handle the T@B
    B.  Do I need to get a brake controller?

Pre-2014 T@Bs had surge brakes, so a controller isn't needed. Later T@Bs have electronic brakes and require a controller. One option is to get a wireless brake controller. Since it isn't hard wired into the vehicle it can easily be transferred to a different tow vehicle. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @seiched, you need to know your engine.  It will determine your tow capacity.  Link should help.  Do you understand GCWR?

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/14prelimflrv&tt_escape_may13.pdf
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    seichedseiched Member Posts: 2
    I found the towing capacity of my Escape and it can handle it.
    Thanks to all!
    So I ordered a hitch today and I asked installer for 7 pin wiring 
    He mentioned something about 7 Blade -- is this the same thing?

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,591
    seiched said:
    . . . ordered a hitch today and I asked installer for 7 pin wiring 
    He mentioned something about 7 Blade -- is this the same thing?

Yes, for North America the 7-Blade is the standard 7-Pin.  T@B's have a 7-Blade
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    In additional to the 7 blade/pin, make sure they wire a charge line to charge your Tab battery while you tow.  Ask them to use 10 gauge wire for the charge line and ground.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    The escape can handle if factory tow package which I believe includes a trans cooler ... Believe the hitch is weight distributed as well... I wouldn't tow with an escape unless the escape came from the factory that way... Factory tow is 3500 lbs where the aftermarketctow capacity is 2000 lbs