Options

Yellowstone National Park: Madison Campground

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

I stayed at Madison Campground, in Yellowstone National Park in late September of 2013. It was a fantastic experience. Every night I fell asleep to bulging elk and howling coyotes in the distance. It is a short drive from the Madison Junction Visitor Center, about 30 minutes from Old Faithful, and closest to the West Entrance. This is a really nice campground, with no hookups. There are communal bear boxes and I was instructed to also use my vehicle as a bear box. When I inquired further about this I was advised that they had no known instances of bears breaking into vehicles.

What I liked:

Very large campsites

Bathrooms were well kept, and heated.

A washroom for dishes is provided.

Natural surroundings, ambient sounds

Open later than other campgrounds

Can be reserved

Rangers patrol throughout the night

Felt like I had easy access to most parts of the park except the extreme south and extreme east.

What could have been better:

I can't really think of anything.  

Price: $21.50

Elevation: 6,800'

Other: No hookups, flush toilets, washroom, showers available for modest fee at Old Faithful Lodge or Mammoth. Generators OK 8 am-8pm

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I have stayed at Madison too and agree, clean campground and they do emphasize proper food storage and handling techniques and not even to spit toothpaste on the ground as a bear has a keen sense of smell and can smell for miles.  They will issue out fines too if you are caught violating the above rules and do so for good reason.  I really do like having the steel storage boxes as it is a nice feature and simplifies camping.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ