Options

Water pump not working?

We ran out of water before we got to the campground. when we got in we hooked up to water and put some water in the tank. Now we are traveling again and the water pump makes noise but is not pumping water. What should I check? Does it need to be primed?
2017 Tab Max S (Silver/Black) 2013 Ford Edge 

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Been a couple threads on this happening - Try a search and you might find them. In general, the problem seems to be...
    If you don't put enough water in the fresh tank it won't pump - Seems to be somewhat hit/miss so you could try filling it. There has been also mention of having to prime the pump after running the fresh tank dry.
    I just drained my fresh and refilled. It seemed to take the pump quite some time before it had the pressure built and automatically shut off. At first it sounded like it was pumping nothing but air, could hardly hear it running. I didn't try the water faucet until the pump quit.
  • Options
    VegascacherVegascacher Member Posts: 27
    It has 94% in there now but i was afraid to let it keep pumping dry. I'll try searching again to see if I can find more information.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    From what I understand, it won't hurt it to run it dry.
  • Options
    Thanks. I'll try again in the am.
  • Options
    VermonsterVermonster Member Posts: 80
    If the tank is full, I would check connections between the tank and pump.  If there is a loose connection it would have trouble picking up prime
  • Options
    j_ntabownersj_ntabowners Member Posts: 133

I once had that happen on ours.  I think I used the advise from this thread to resolve the issue 

http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/37482/#Comment_37482

Jim & Nadine 2015 T@b Max S pulled by 2016 KIA Sorento - East Wenatchee, Wa

States Visited Map

• Options
    Thanks. I'm going to try that right now. I'm no mechanic and I've had this baby for less than a month so all help is appreciated. I'll let you know what happens. 
  • Options
    Nothing seems to be working for me. :-(  I don't know how you guys work in there with your "man hands" it's hard enough with my lady fingers. :-). I tried the move with the filter and loosening the output line and got nothing but a couple of drops. So I guess I need to call Surflo to help with the trouble shooting. Unfortunately my dealer is over 300 miles away and wouldn't be cost effective.
  • Options
    I would still check the connections on the suction side of the pump.  Even if they appear tight but there's a slight air leak, any pump will have trouble picking up the water.  Worst case scenario the sur flow pump isn't too expensive and available on amazon
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited December 2016
    Be sure to leave all faucets closed (and be sure any drain valves are closed!) and let the pump run for a minute or two. Running dry is no problem for it.

Then open and close the sink faucet quickly every so often, while the pump is running, and let the pump run for maybe a half minute longer.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    I checked all the connections I could reach and I let the pump run for maybe 10 minutes nothing. This was our first trip so this is a little frustrating. 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,472
    Did you check the little filter screen on the upstream side of the pump? I vaguely recall someone else reporting theirs had gotten plugged up with plastic shavings presumably left over from construction.

If you don't already know, the filter is under the clear plastic cap on the line heading into the pump. It's a little metal screen that lifts out of two slots that hold it in place. Be careful not to drop it down in the bowels behind the wall!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    I gave it another try this morning following the advice of  leaving it run for a few minutes and then opening the faucet quickly every so often and I was as to get a trickle but was not able to bring  the pump up to pressure. I had to leave for work but I'll give it another try when I get home. Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    Something else to check is the freshwater tank vent line. If it is filled with water or kinked, it could impede priming of the pump. For more info, see my June 9 comment in the thread j_ntabowners mentioned above:

http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/37482/#Comment_37482

I would also try running the pump with the faucets open, giving the pump the opportunity to push out the air in the downstream lines. I can understand why keeping them closed and "blipping" the faucets might help pull a prime, but if that isn't working you might as well try the opposite approach!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    We ran out of water before we got to the campground. when we got in we hooked up to water and put some water in the tank.
    Did you have a full fresh water tank (11 gallons) when you left then it appeared you ran out of water because the pump won't prime?
    If you open the fresh water tank drain valve (underneath to left of the door) does your level gauge start dropping from the 94% you mentioned?
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    No I had the 30% or so the dealer put in and we were spending one night boondocking before arriving at the campground where we would have full hookups. We washed a couple of dishes and used the toilet a few times and it ran out or appeared to? The gauge still said 15% but if we weren't exactly level? I'll have to ch e k the drain valve when I get home. It didn't seem like it could have taken in 10 gallons but it was overflowing.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    When you fill the fresh water tank, you'll hear gurgling and then the water gushes out of the spout. This is just an air bubble. Listen as you fill the tank and if you hear the water gurgling, stop, let it settle down, start it again until the water overflows rather than gushes out. Those air bubbles get you every time because you think the tank is full, you don't want to keep going inside to check the gauge and you want to get done. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    It didn't seem like it could have taken in 10 gallons but it was overflowing.
    I've found that the gurgling and gushing Verna described is exacerbated by the plugged vent line I mentioned above. It can be really hard to know when the tank is full, but eventually you will be able to discern a burp from a true overflow. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    I blew out the vent line and emptied several gallons of water taking it from 94% down to 65% so there is water in the tank. I think I'm ready to take it to the dealer and let them figure it out just have to wait until after the holidays.
  • Options
    Vegascatcher, here would be an easy test to determine if it's a plumbing problem or a bad pump.  Disconnect the inlet side of the pump, put on a short piece of tubing and stick the other end of the tubing in a small container of water.  If the pump is working it should easily pull water out of the container.  Just a suggestion
  • Options
    I called Shurflo they want me to take apart the head assembly. I am awaiting written directions from them.
  • Options
    RonRon Member Posts: 137
    I had the same problem.  Service man at Tom's said to try air pressure at the fill hole to force water up to the pump.  I had visions of the tank going boom!  I took a different approach with the fill hose on instead.
    Wrap a small towel around the fill hose with the water flow about 1/2 on to be safe.  Boom again.  Open sink faucet and outside shower valve.  Hold hose with towel wrapped around it in the fill pipe so that the vent hole is covered and the hose is sort of sealed to the fill hole.  Boom prevention again.  I got some air and water splashing back as the tank became pressurized.  With the shower head unscrewed and the hose on the ground the water began to flow.  Stopped filling and closed the sink faucet and the outside shower and everything was back to normal.  
    If you do not have a pressure hose available,  blocking the vent hole and a short vinyl tube that is higher than the pump might accomplish the same thing. Just need to find a vinyl hose that fits the fill hole tightly.
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2018 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.