Options

Camp Dutch Oven Cooking

Have you ever wished you had an oven in your T@B?

If not having an oven has hampered your camping culinary talents, you may want to learn more about Camp Dutch Oven (CDO) cooking.

When using a CDO, you can virtually cook anything you’d make at home in your house oven.

How great would it be to make a roast and potatoes for dinner? Or a delicious blueberry cobbler, warm baked bread or even a steaming bowl of stew? You can do it all with a Camp Dutch Oven.

For the last year and a half, a small group of T@bbers has been intensely exploring CDO cooking. We’ve learned a great deal and we think it’s time to invite the T@B, T@G and T@DA community to join in on the fun, food and friendship of CDO cooking.

A new Facebook group has been established specifically for T@B, T@G and T@DA owners.

You’re invited to learn how to CDO cook by joining: Camp Dutch Oven & Skillet Chefs.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1808214279396143/

Comments

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    This is the group I've mentioned a couple times! I promise if you check it out you'll want to try camp Dutch oven cooking!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221

I already joined!  I received 10" and 14" CDOs for Christmas.  I'm excited to get out and try them!

Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    My wife is in this group but I am not.  Just too many groups to keep track of, and she likes looking at the recipes.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Favorite tiny DO - made gluten-free dump cake with fresh cherries from my backyard trees (they bloomed early and confused the birds, so I got cherries for once).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    BillandElaineBillandElaine Member Posts: 19
    edited January 2017
    A Camp Dutch Oven allows you to make ANYTHING you would cook in your home oven while you are camping. CDOs are made of cast iron, so they will be the heaviest pots (15-23 lbs) you're likely to handle. But they are not just pots. They are portable ovens! Heck, my house oven weighs much more than my largest Camp Dutch Oven and I can't take it camping with me. I've been facilitating a small group of CDO Chefs for 20 months. Each chef was a novice when we started out, but now each of them cooks fabulous camp food. We often camp and cook together at mini-rallies (DOGs-Dutch Oven Gatherings) and we have a ball. With this new FB group, I'm expanding the fun to include the entire T@B, T@G and T@DA community. If you love cooking, you'll probably love CDO cooking too. You are most welcome to join us. 
  • Options
    LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    The group has been fun to participate in.  I love to bake and it is the one thing that I never do camping....until this year. :)
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    This may be a silly question, but is it possible to get similar results using a dutch oven on the propane stovetop, such as the one inside a T@b?  I've only ever seen people use them in fire pits where you place coals on top to, I think, get the right all-around temperature.  I'm just wondering if it's possible to bake inside a dutch oven if the only heat source is on the bottom...

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

• Options
    BillandElaineBillandElaine Member Posts: 19
    HR_Taly: If you only use bottom heat, you've essentially got a cast iron skillet or a cooking pot for soup or stews.  Propane would work fine if that's what you desire. But, for a Camp Dutch Oven to work as an oven, you need heat on both the lid and beneath it. The heat of the coals is conducted throughout the cast iron and radiates into the oven providing the baking temperatures you desire.