Options

Window - Awning covers /shades

Does anyone have the Webb site so my wife can make / sew some window covers that go on the outside of the T@B windows? 

Comments

• Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    The instructions are listed on both the Yahoo owners forum, as well as the T@B Facebook page.  

Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    I will try to attach them here, but am not sure that will work....
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    forklift_guy59forklift_guy59 Member Posts: 16
    Thank you! The PDF file worked great
  • Options
    I'll warn you.  It can be a tad addictive. lol  I don't really sew...don't own a machine...yet I've made four pair:  Summer, Christmas, Packers, and funky.  

• Options
    JimboJimbo Member Posts: 118
    Thanks for posting this pdf, I intended to go looking for this again since using a towel attached with close pins on my last trip to shade the street side window. I probably won't be quit as addicted as you TABaker but certainly a good solution. Thanks again. 
    Jim, Kelseyville CA, 2013 T@B "Q", T@BCASA, Silver W/Yellow trim, TV: 2006 Honda Ridgeline 
  • Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    I'm commenting to bring this thread up to the top. Someone was asking me about my polka dot window awnings and I want her to find the pattern link above
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272

2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    Norbert1223Norbert1223 Member Posts: 82
    Love these!  Thanks for the instructions.
    Debbie
    Debbie and the Bulldogs; 2016 T@B Max S; 2016 Toyota 4 Runner
  • Options
    jschemeljschemel Member Posts: 79
    TABaker aka Crystal and Daisy
    I see in your awning photos you have one with a visor and one with a small (maybe 5x5) awning. Do you use them both? do you have a preference?
    Jaynie and Larry - Palo Alto, CA - 2015 T@B CS-S - Expedition EL - Nights spent in "T@b Spirit of Holly" 97
    (9/22/19/
  • Options
    jschemel said:
    TABaker aka Crystal and Daisy
    I see in your awning photos you have one with a visor and one with a small (maybe 5x5) awning. Do you use them both? do you have a preference?
    So sorry.  I'm not on this forum much.  I no longer have the "overnighter" by Marti's Awnings, the small stripe. I sold it when Paha Que came out with the Visor.

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited November 2019
    Have been intending to make some of these window awning/sunshades, but considering using a bit different attachment method.  Instead of the two horizontal straps across the back, has anyone tried just putting short elastic straps across the four corners?  See the locations I marked here in red (image is from the pdf instructions)...

I'm thinking this method might be easier to put on/take off, and perhaps equally secure.  Probably going to try making these, but I might have to get a sewing machine lesson.  I did find a 5x7' water resistant tablecloth that I think looks good with our white T@B with silver trim..

This is just the tablecloth folded to one quarter of its size & clamped on.  Probably not going to bother with a lining or fancy edge.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @BrianZ, your idea is workable, but let me just point out that you may have to remove them in very breezy or windy weather. The advantage of having the straps completely across the back is the additional security of not having them blow off easily. Fabric in breezy conditions becomes sail area. If moving air gets underneath the fabric, it may lift in the center, pulling the corners and popping them loose. Just something to consider. P.S. I sew and fly kites, and have a pretty good idea about what can happen. If you are only looking to use your window awnings/curtains in still weather, what you have proposed is doable.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 414
    BrianZ said:
    Have been intending to make some of these window awning/sunshades, but considering using a bit different attachment method.  Instead of the two horizontal straps across the back, has anyone tried just putting short elastic straps across the four corners?  See the locations I marked here in red (image is from the pdf instructions)...

I'm thinking this method might be easier to put on/take off, and perhaps equally secure.  Probably going to try making these, but I might have to get a sewing machine lesson.  I did find a 5x7' water resistant tablecloth that I think looks good with our white T@B with silver trim..

This is just the tablecloth folded to one quarter of its size & clamped on.  Probably not going to bother with a lining or fancy edge.
    I was thinking the same thing. I am going to modify and make the front strap all the way across but the two back ones, only on the corner. I think it will work. I’ve seen them made all 4 corners before on Pinterest.
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    Custom Colors & Custom Interior
    We've slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Options
    larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    I have actually done said mod but with only the top of the shade. The shades would slide down so I took some elastic and a couple of safety pins to keep the elastic in place. Safety pins just to try the idea and have not removed them since.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    That's what I was concerned about with the pdf plans - that there was no provision to prevent it from sliding downward.  Maybe the corner straps at top, with full width strap across bottom might be best. 
    With enough material, another idea might be to create a 2-inch pocket at the bottom by folding the material underneath & stitched on sides so that it would slip over the bottom of the window, then diagonal elastic straps across the top corners.  It could be a 5-inch fold that is stitched across about 3 inches from the bottom fold to allow a 3-inch flap to hang down over the edge, with pocket above it.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Another idea I plan to try is using clips at the edges to help hold the material in place & help prevent it from being picked up by the wind.  I tested a clip made from a piece of leftover 1/4 inch polyethylene tubing, like you might use for a water supply line for a refrigerator icemaker, with a scrap of the waterproof polyester tablecloth I plan to use ..

I cut a 1-inch piece of tubing with a box cutter type blade, slit it lengthwise, & trimmed the end at an angle and with a notch to allow the end to be easily slipped over the edge of the window.  Seems to work best if the material is wrapped around the edge of the window & is surprisingly strong, even for this 1-inch test piece.  Very easy to get on & off.  Could do each side.

The plastic is stiff but relatively soft & holds well at room temp, but I'm not sure how well it would perform at high temps.
    I'm not sure how strong it needs to be, but my main goal with these clips would be to just prevent the wind from getting under it, so that shouldn't require much strength.  Thanks, @dragonsdofly for that warning about wind.  If it's windy enough to fly a kite, we probably wouldn't be putting them up.  We don't get a lot of high winds here in VA, not like out west, usually only during storms.

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @BrianZ, that does sound like an idea, indeed.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    BrianZ said:

I woke up in the night, sat up and said HEM TAPE! And my husband was like “what the heck!” Hahahaha hem tape is something you iron on instead of sewing, if you don’t see, I bet hem tape and permanent fabric glue would work just fine in making one of these and not having to sew. I crack me up, can you tell I am ready to order our first T@B?! 

https://www.joann.com/search?q=Hem+Tape

my favorite fabric glue... dries clear but is a bit shiny at first.
    https://www.joann.com/liquid-stitch-4oz/9102294.html#q=Permanent%2Bfabric%2Bglue&start=1

• Options
    That is funny, @ColleenD2 !  Surprised you don't even have a T@B, but it sounds like you need one!

I was just saying to my wife, "I wonder if I could just glue the fabric", because she wasn't excited about the idea of a sewing project after having just painted the guestroom.  But she said she would do the stitching if I get it all cut, folded, the seams pinned for her to do on her sewing machine.
    She is happy about having that 1/4 of the 5x7' silver tablecloth leftover to actually use on the table inside the T@B.

• Options
    I’ve had my eye on one since the mid 2000s and the stars are finally aligning for it to happen.

• Options
    So are the windows on the clamshell and non-clamshell the same size?

• Options
    Don't know about clamshell, @ColleenD2, but here are our measurements:
    Front window:  22"h x 38"w
    Side windows:  21.25"h x 38.5"w

• Options
    Thanks. I bet they are the same. It would be pretty expensive to stock different windows I’d think. I am excited! JoAnn fabric has outdoor fabric on sale 65% off thru tomorrow. I picked up a couple things today.

• Options
    RachaelRachael Member Posts: 1
    Awesome!  Looks like I have a project to do today.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    I found a way to store the window awnings - a pool noodle!  I used one already cut to the length of the window to prevent head trauma, but I would cut one a bit longer. 

Slice it down the side and place the top of your layered window awnings in the slit.

Then roll it outside in and place the elastic and Velcro on the outside of the roll.  Secure with something wide to prevent wrinkling.  It rides nicely on the rear shelf.  Dual purpose pool noodle!

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    I just fold mine, and they live in a train case under the bench seat.  I don't buy expensive fabric, however.