Outback platform storage containers

For those of you who have the Outback front platform, what brand/style of storage containers do you use that will fit on the platform? Do most of you use bungee cords or cargo straps to hold the containers down? Photos would help if you have them. 

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

Comments

• Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Attached is a photo of the Tupperware 6 gallon Action Packer.  Mine is bolted to the bottom of the platform with extra wide washers so as not to drill into the aluminum platform.  Be careful when sizing any container for this area - the round T@B handles will get in the way of many lids.  Also, the Action Packers have a strange handle.  Attached is a photo of how I lock both handles.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We use 8 gallon Rubbermaid Action Packers. I would not trust bungie cords on the road. Mine are securely bolted to the platform. I have them attached in back and underneath with mending plates (one plate outside and one inside) with a bolt through. The plastic is too thin and soft to bolt on without reinforcement. 

You need to pay attention to how they are placed on the platform - leave room between the bin and the propane cover or you'll never get the lid unlatched.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I used the same 8 gallon action packer. My attachment solution was 3 heavy duty zip ties.  One on the back of the bin and 2 on the bottom.  Used the holes already in the platform and put a little shoe goo to seal them.  I just carry the plastic level blocks, jack wheel and wheel chocks and that fills it up. No wear on the zip ties after a few thousand miles.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Zip ties will break down with UV exposure so if yours are exposed to the sun you might want to replace them periodically.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Yep, they are inside the container and under the trailer, so pretty safe from UV.   They'll probably outlast the Action packer
    . ☺
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra