Options

WOWSER!

ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
Just kind of a "heads-up" for the upcoming season, and for those of you out and about now. Yesterday I took our 2006 Chevy Avalanche in for an oil change service, and general check-up. As I don't usually drive this vehicle on a constant basis, my wife does, every day. Every other oil change, I have a good check-up done just to stay up with, or plan for future repairs. As I was taking the rig in for service, I noticed a noise that I was unfamiliar with. Our roads here have been horrible recently due to ice, snow, and many potholes and ruts, and the noise got my attention. I dropped the rig off, and told my mechanic about the strange noise, and to give everything a good look. About 45 minutes later, I received a phone call with the news that the left front hub-bearing assembly was extremely loose, and needed replacement. I told him to proceed with the repairs as my mechanic is one I have used for years, and is not only trust-worthy, but very fair on his parts and labor. Upon completion of the job, I went back and picked up the rig, and had a chat with my mechanic about the severity of the repair. His comment was "eventually, without repair, it would have left you stranded, and/or possibly caused additional damage to other related parts as well". As I had the rig checked out in the middle of last spring, it just shows you how quickly a part can fail. I know we all are very conscientious about the upkeep of our trailers, but with the wear and tear and rough road conditions, we should all take stock, and be aware of our tow vehicles as well. My hopes for this post are that it will help someone else with a strange, new noise to avoid not only a break-down, but more costly repairs. As always, be safe out there, we would miss you! :)  
2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
Spokane, Wa.
Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

Comments

• Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    Thank you so much for the reminder. It sure doesn't take long for a broken TV to ruin a great T@b trip.

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    edited February 2017
    dmerzbac, No problem, just trying  to help out my fellow T@Bbers any way I can. If it only helps one, it was worth the effort! ;)  
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    Wheel bearings are a known weak spot for GM trucks. I had to have my water pump replaced today on a 2015 GM with 24K miles. Things used to last a lot longer.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    Wow Eric! Glad you got it caught and fixed! The side streets are such a mess right now! Rattles the bones, and everything else!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Wow @RollingBnB!! I have a 2015 GM Canyon with 9000ish miles. It's been in warranty repairs for one reason or another. I'll keep an eye on the water pump and bearings (it's a 4x4).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    RollingBnB, Water pump was done year before last, but mine has 150k miles on it. On the other hand, you're right. My '72 has just shy of 500k miles, and very seldom do I have to do anything other than routine maintenance.
    Spokane, Wa.