Options

Making a T@B Impermiable to bugs, particular Mosquitoes

TrailpixieTrailpixie Member Posts: 161
I have read a few threads describing bugs being able to get in through the window screens.  This is a problem for us because my wife is a mosquito magnet and swells up like a banshee.  Her bug bites continue to itch for at least a week after she gets them.  So dealing with mosquitoes is a critical issue.

I found these skeeter beeater screens that magnetically attach to vehicles to allow the windows to be open and keep mosquitoes from entering. I am thinking I may need something like these to fully insulate the forthcoming T@B from the vicious little buggers. The only problem is that the screens attach with magnets.  I am guessing that the window frames are aluminum which means that the skeeter beater wouldn't work.  What recommendations do people have for a way to make sure a T@B is completely sealed from bugs (and please don't tell me to turn off the lights, they will smell my wife and come in anyway).

http://theskeeterbeater.com/ 

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited February 2017
    I haven't had a problem with mosquitos getting thru the screens that I can recall but have had smaller little knats and such get thru. Maybe I just travel in areas with bigger mosquitos, don't know.
    I do have a ThermoCell that I use to keep them away when outside - Works pretty well.

And you're right, everything is aluminum.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I think @Photomom could start a little cottage industry. :bee:

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Just FYI, don't smush bugs by the main light. You'll have little black dots on the ceiling. It'll look like a bunch of spiders had a party with a sharpie and didn't clean up.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    scaupscaup Member Posts: 81
    We're headed to northern BC and the Yukon the end of this summer. We're anticipating a lot of insects particularly mosquitoes.

We saw on the internet a screened attachment to our T@B 320 but it didn't have a floor and also didn't seal off the area below the T@B. Seems kind of useless for keeping insects out. Does anyone have experience with this?

We were thinking that a separate enclosure with a floor would be better.

Does the Thermocell work and does it repel all insects such as the noseeums? What's the general thoughts on the best insect repellent?

Thanks

Gene
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    @scaup - the PaHaQue tent has a floor.  We get few bugs in the tent - mostly from opening the screen to enter.  The PaHaQue awning does not come with a floor.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    edited February 2023
    @scaup the Thermocells do work for mosquitos. Never used them for noseeums. They work best with calm air, and must not be used in enclosed places. They have been successful for us. We use them under our visor or canopy near the t@b door and we've been happy and relieved as the repellent is pretty effective in keeping flying critters from getting into the t@b while we go in and out on busy days. I tend to be very sensitive to chemicals and don't immediately deploy them, however, there comes a point where it is mandatory for my sanity and survival because as far as bugs are concerned, I am the "other white meat".

There is a diy adaptation to make noseeum screening covers for the windows of the t@b 320, but the same technique will work for the 400, simply changing the screening measurements to fit. This adaptation has weaknesses, as it does not have noseeum protection designed for the fan screen or screen door, but does get the mental gears turning. Good luck, and let us know how the adventure goes.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,011
    It's still frustrating to me that NuCamp, and others, would build a trailer with bug screens that don't work.  I'd rather have an old school rv screen door that works rather than a fancy disappearing one that does not work.  They really need to partner with Arctic Tern and use their acrylic double pane windows.  As I've mentioned before I have one in my truck topper and it's a better window.  No bugs can get through it. 

On a side note has anyone looked into changing out the blue ceiling light in the 400 with an amber light?  The blue light is one of the most attractive colors for bugs.  With the faulty screens it'd be nice to at least be able to have some sort of interior light on that won't attract so many bugs.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    Looking at the video from the company, it appears that the screen has multiple magnets attached to the screen.  I haven't actually seen one of these in person but I wonder if bugs could get through the spaces between the magnets.  However, to attach the screen in a TAB you could buy small magnets at almost any hardware store and glue them to the plastic TAB window frame.  Use a silicon glue such as Amazing Goop.  Goop can be rather easily peeled off if you decide to remove the magnets but will hold the magnets securely for as long as you want it to.  
    Place the magnets in accordance with the magnets on the screen so you dont have any large gaps.  probably not the most aesthetic solution but it will allow you to attach the screen in the TAB.  You could also try a roll of magnetic tape but in my experience the glue on the tape doesn't hold very well and quite soon peels off.
  • Options
    AndreOAndreO Member Posts: 69
    Hi Folks, Actually the issue is with the Horex mesh/shade design and install. I have a tab 400 and discovered the bugs are, for the most part, NOT coming in thru the mesh but rather just going around it.

I posted a comment with, among other mods, what I did to find and fix the issues.
    see the link below.

Hope this helps

AndreO
    Ontario, Canada
    2018 Tab 400
    Ford F150 2.7 Lariat
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,449
    I agree with @AndreO. The biggest avenue for bug ingress are gaps between the screens and the window/door frames, as well as between the frames and the camper walls (particularly with the curved front window). My 2015 had neither bug brush in the frames, nor weatherstripping under the frames, and the resulting spaces created a veritable insect superhighway to my living quarters. Installing "hairnets" over the screen frames helped, but the number of bugs getting in was still unacceptable.
    Retrofitting the windows with bug brush and weatherstripping (provided by nuCamp) mostly fixed the problem, though some gaps still remain at the edges of the screens. I think that is just a drawback of the accordion design. I haven't retrofitted the screen door frame--I mostly just close the main door once I'm inside for the night with the lights on--but I think AndreO's mod is a great idea and may implement it at some point.
    As far as the outside is concerned, I have a PahaQue awning with a homemade front screen panel and a skirt that closes off the underside of the trailer. While there is no floor--and still some gaps--combined with a Thermacell (and a bug-zapper racket) this arrangement makes a very passable screen room when the skeeters get really bad. Although this is more advanced DIY project, it's worth considering for those who don't want the hassle or expense of a full tent enclosure.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    XenanMeXenanMe Member Posts: 74
    The best thing for deterring mosquitoes in the trailer is adjusting the ceiling fan to draw air into the trailer.  This creates negative air pressure to forces mosquitoes away from the outside of the window screens. The Thermocell also works really well.  However, there are some places (Yukon for example) where the only real solution in heavy duty mosquito repellent.
  • Options
    Best thing to keep bugs out of a camper are screens that work.  Sorry I keep complaining about this but I've had $50 tents and $4500 popup campers that completely keep them out.   I love our camper and at this point would not trade it for another brand and it's great to see people are coming up with ways to combat this bug issue.   But the fact is we should not have to.  It's not a feat of window/door screen engineering to keep bugs out and for the cost of these trailers NuCamp should do that for us.  Just use window and door screens that work.  They already exist so put them in the trailers.  Ok I'm now putting my rant on this issue to sleep forever.  Now back to the glycol corrosion issue. 
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Doing some more research on the Yukon, it seems that mosquitoes diminish late in August only to be replaced by black flys. Black flys seem to be worse than mosquitoes. Anyone have any experience with black flys and how to repel them?
  • Options
    XenanMeXenanMe Member Posts: 74
    Black flies are the worst.  They are tiny and like to bite behind your ears and your ankles.  Bug repellent and a strong breeze is the only real answer to those.  
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    I haven't had a much of a problem with bugs inside but this got me to thinking and I went and checked my 2021 320S. I have a fiber strip on the sides of each window so there's no gaps in the frame and the screen. I can't see any gaps around the door/screen so I don't think they're getting in unless I open something.

When they do get in a small USB rechargeable hand held vacuum should work to grab them as they like to land on the ceiling. I'm thinking it will beat smashing them on it and making a mess to clean up. 
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    We've got the fuzz strips on our windows and doors too.  We've not had a problem with mosquitos or other bugs that large getting it but have had terrible issues with smaller gnats etc. getting in.  They seem to get in through the holes in the screens that the strings thread through.
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Flybone89Flybone89 Member Posts: 59
    I sprayed my screens with this product, Sawyer Products SP657 Premium Permethrin Insect Repellent for Clothing, Gear & Tents, and it actually worked fairly well - though it did leave a bit of a bug graveyard around the screens :-). You do have to reapply it from time to time and I know some may be concerned using a chemical solution. But sharing in case.

Kevin
  • Options
     I may have to try that.  Does it have much of an odor to it?
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    The window frame screens are well sealed on our TaB400, but the door screen frame has a big enough gap behind the frame to set small bugs in.  The solution is to stuff some small caulking rope bead in between the frame and door opening.  The top is worst, but the sides do have an aluminum flange the screen door fits to, and you could remove this flange and caulk it back in, to close up the slight gap behind it.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Anyone tried insect repellent clothing?
  • Options
    Flybone89Flybone89 Member Posts: 59
    bergger said:
     I may have to try that.  Does it have much of an odor to it?
    If I recall it doesn't have much odor - or it certainly doesn't last after it dries. The tricky part is spraying it without getting it on other things. I sprayed from the inside out on a calm day with no wind and made sure there wasn't any thing out on the kitchen counters.

Kevin
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,449
    Regarding the screen door... Having dismantled mine twice (for restringing) I've noticed the upper track in which the screen runs has a pretty big gap between the top of the screen and the inside of the frame. (This was similar to the problem with the windows in earlier models.) I was able to install a bit of bug fuzz in that area which I expect helps a bit, but I still rely mostly on closing the main door once I'm inside with the lights on.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Dame_plumeDame_plume Member Posts: 75
    My very first little mod.  My husband is allergic to mosquito bites.  I put the white soft side of industrial strength Velcro on the windows (narrower would be easier to lift) and the other side is a black industrial strength Velcro sewn on black screen. There is a rigid metal strip at the bottom to lift/remove it easy.  Perfect for the side windows, but it also sits very well on the curved front window of my 320S.  It is inconvenient if you open and close windows often but I keep them either open or locked in the first position.  I only have to lift the screen to lock them completely when we leave.
    Sylvie and Mike, Ontario, Canada / 2020 Tab 320S (Charlie) / 2021 Chevrolet Colorado LT (V6) Enhanced Towing Package
    "The only place where you start at the top is when you dig a hole"
  • Options
    GregChrisGregChris Member Posts: 189
    Just got back to Ohio from 2 weeks in Ga/SC. Had more bugs inside than out. I assumed they came in with us going in and out, but it was a lot of bugs. Looking at all of these solutions.
    Will post some pics when I get organized from unpacking.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Has anyone tried one of those small rechargeable bug light/zappers?  I wonder if setting one of those up on the other side of camp would help keep them away from the trailer? I'm definitely going to try the permethrin spray on the screens.  I'm also going to try to replace the exterior step light with an amber light.  Having a blue light on the step is a calling card for bugs.  
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 355
    We have switched to red lights outside and don't use lights any more than we have to inside. That has completely eliminated the mosquitoes. No black flys in Texas.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    Mickerly said:
    We have switched to red lights outside and don't use lights any more than we have to inside. That has completely eliminated the mosquitoes. No black flys in Texas.
    Did you switch out the exterior step light?  The fixture on ours has a blue lens so it looks like the entire light needs to be swapped out and not just the bulb.  If you did what light did you use?
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    bergger said:
    Did you switch out the exterior step light?  The fixture on ours has a blue lens so it looks like the entire light needs to be swapped out and not just the bulb.  If you did what light did you use?
    I disconnected ours. There's a plug under the steps.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 355
    We don't have the step light; however, a trip to the auto parts store will provide "tail light repair tape". Use the tape to cover the light. If someone wants the light blue again, they can peal the tape off.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"