Options

Indoor Vs. Outdoor kitchen and Shower Vs. No shower

2»

Comments

• Options
    KeltdubhKeltdubh Member Posts: 54
    Much like Tabulated, we wanted the extra space so we went with a Q Model.  For those nightly runs or when we are boondocking, we have a dry flush system that we put in our awning (awning has doors).  The draw back is that we always have to put up the awning.  However, being former tent campers, it doesn't bother us much to have to put up an awning.  The dry flush is the last thing that goes inside the trailer, just inside the door.  It can and has been utilized for quick roadside stops.  

Dry Flush

Ed & Tea
    Linden, VA
    2016 T@B Q Max Outback Package - 2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Shenandoah Valley T@BBERS
  • Options
    TomStephens1TomStephens1 Member Posts: 88
    I highly recommend the indoor bathroom/shower.  Both work very well!
    As far as the kitchen goes, the wife and I enjoy it being outdoors.  We live in California, so we can usually count on good weather.  Outdoors cooking is a lot of fun. However, I can certainly see the benefit of having one inside on a not-so-good day.
    Towing wise, our little Subaru Outback has done a tremendous job of towing our t@b in extreme heat and relatively cold weather.  It doesn't take much to tow a tabby.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    IrishCamper74, Have to agree with your statement about whatever YOUR needs, or wants are for that matter. There really isn't a right, or wrong answer, just what suits the individual in their own situation. That's why they build different models to suit different folks.  ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Me_and_My_DogMe_and_My_Dog Member Posts: 184
    We purchased a t@b CS, to be picked up late next month. We opted for the outdoor kitchen; part of camping is cooking outdoors, we feel. We plan on buying an outdoor shelter/tent so if it's raining, we can use our portable propane grill to cook under shelter. We didn't really like the idea of our living space smelling like our breakfast/dinner. My husband is a big guy & didn't feel comfortable, crammed inside the shower/bathroom. I also don't want to have to deal with dumping/cleaning/maintaining the black tank. We tend to camp at full facility campgrounds so we feel this choice suits us the best. I know there are options for 'portable toilets" that some folks use.
    I cannot speak for towing with a Subaru as we have a Honda Ridgeline as our tow vehicle. 

Go with whatever you feel your needs are; there is no right or wrong answer. 
    ~Happy Camping!~
    :smiley:  :smiley:
    So many configurations for so many personal preferences! Viva la difference! 
    Katt and Miss Cannoli the Zen Dog
    2008 DM T@DA — Towed by 2014 Dodge Durango — Full time since 6/29/17
    "Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options
    Lil_LucyLil_Lucy Member Posts: 82
    ericnliz said:
    IrishCamper74, Have to agree with your statement about whatever YOUR needs, or wants are for that matter. There really isn't a right, or wrong answer, just what suits the individual in their own situation. That's why they build different models to suit different folks.  ;)
    You're absolutely right. "Different strokes for different folks".
    2016 T@b 320 Max-S (Silver/Red Trim) / TV: 2019 Ford Flex
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,481
    Whatever configuration you choose, your habits will likely evolve. As reformed tent campers, we still cook outside. However certain tasks such as morning coffee and dish washing have migrated over time to the indoor galley. Adapting to your new digs is all part of the fun.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    marilyncpmarilyncp Member Posts: 117
    Question, then on U Max Model... I thought it had a porta potty?  I'm looking at a slightly used 2015 T@B U model it says it has a porta potty, which I thought it is stored in one of the lower cabinets under the sink.  It's in California and it looks like it has Sofitel cushions (in the pictures).  The price is $14800 at an RV dealer, which I know is higher than some of you who bought in 2012, but I also know the units have gone up in price. 

So two questions - porta potty in the cabinet? and is the price is okay?  Thoughts anyone?
    M@rilyn
    Previous 2017 T@B S owner... c'est l@ vie
    But still passionate about the brand!

• Options
    TaBulatedTaBulated Member Posts: 24
    Our 2017 T@B Max U did come with a Porta-potty. It came in a box and was in the cabinet that is left of the sink in the U model. We chose not to use it and sold it on Craigs list. We did not unbox it to see if it would fit in the smaller cabinet under the sink. I don't think it would fit there b/c the drain pipe for the sink takes up some space in that cabinet (but I can store smaller things like a stack of paper plates, bowls and some other things in that cabinet). It certainly would fit in the larger cabinet (the one left of the sink) but I'm using that to store other items in plastic boxes that I stack in the cabinet.  Hope this helps some.

We bought new so I'm not up to date on used prices.
    2017 T@B Max U
    TV: 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
    David & Barb - Edmond, OK
  • Options
    marilyncpmarilyncp Member Posts: 117
    Thanks... after reviewing a few things, I'm sticking to the S model... but always appreciate the input from this forum!

M@rilyn
    Previous 2017 T@B S owner... c'est l@ vie
    But still passionate about the brand!

• Options
    misselaineousmisselaineous Member Posts: 10
    We purchased a t@b CS, to be picked up late next month. We opted for the outdoor kitchen; part of camping is cooking outdoors, we feel. We plan on buying an outdoor shelter/tent so if it's raining, we can use our portable propane grill to cook under shelter. We didn't really like the idea of our living space smelling like our breakfast/dinner. My husband is a big guy & didn't feel comfortable, crammed inside the shower/bathroom. I also don't want to have to deal with dumping/cleaning/maintaining the black tank. We tend to camp at full facility campgrounds so we feel this choice suits us the best. I know there are options for 'portable toilets" that some folks use.
    I cannot speak for towing with a Subaru as we have a Honda Ridgeline as our tow vehicle. 

Go with whatever you feel your needs are; there is no right or wrong answer. 
    ~Happy Camping!~
    :smiley:  :smiley:
    We hemmed and hawed about this dilemma too and ultimately had all the same points as @IrishCamper74.

We've been tenters our whole lives and love cooking outdoors and are used to using the campground washrooms/outhouses (we don't even have a coffee can in the tent! LOL), so the T@B 320 CS seemed to be the most logical transition for us. Besides, both my lovie and I are tall (he's 6' and I'm 5'10"), and we found that standing inside at the kitchen we were hunched over and the upper cabinet was in our face which only forced us to hunch over more to see what we would be cooking. It was very uncomfortable. Also whoever is cooking dinner would be isolated inside the camper all alone. And we didn't see any point in hauling a camp stove around to cook outside if we have an indoor kitchen. We figure that in a few years we can always trade up to the 400 if we really feel the indoor kitchen and washroom would be more convenient, but for now we're willing to wait for the extra room in the 400. 

Ours does come with the porta-potty that we will keep for emergencies, but I highly doubt it will get much use. Although, I may look into buying a portable single burner induction cooktop, as someone here mentioned, to use inside in the direst of conditions, but to us outdoor cooking is one of the greatest parts of camping. If it's raining, we'll hang a tarp. If it's REALLY bad, we'll use our electric kettle inside and drink cup-a-soup or eat ramen for dinner! LOL

Life takes us unexpected places. Love brings us home.

2018 T@B 320 CS (white w. black) | 2015 Santa Fe XL (white w. black) | near Toronto, ON
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    edited March 2017
    I know I'm late to this, but I have an older Dutchmen Clamshell. When Dutchmen made the clamshell models, they configured the front bench to have a permanent spot for the portapotty. The tops lifts up and there is a door to open to "flush" the portapotty. I love this setup. I have the front closet, a permanent accessible spot for the portapotty, and great showers in the campgrounds I visit. That is one thing where I think Pleasant Valley went the wrong direction on their changes (the front bench of the clamshell). As far as cooking outside, that is actually not a huge part of my camping. I added an instant hot water to my T@B, and most of my camp cooking is using the instant hot water. (Yes, I'm the one that brings dessert and a vegetable tray from Publix for the potluck dinners, or corn on the cob in the crockpot). The outside kitchen is more of a "bar" for when the gang gathers for the ballgame.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL