• Options
    Me_and_My_DogMe_and_My_Dog Member Posts: 184
    Very handsome truck!
    Katt and Miss Cannoli the Zen Dog
    2008 DM T@DA — Towed by 2014 Dodge Durango — Full time since 6/29/17
    "Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Great new truck...but do not let Ford off the hook with the Escape. Reading through, it looks like everything was done correctly and the TV failed. Appears to an outsider that Ford is responsible. If it were me, I'd never drop it.
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    TorzanneTorzanne Member Posts: 31
    Geo said:
    Nathan said:
    "Well, after talking to a few different people and doing some research, in the end really I am at fault on this.  While the V6 engine of the Escape was more then capable of towing the T@B, due to the unibody construction, unless it had an integrated hitch, this was bound to happen.  Expensive mistake that could have ended very, very badly, so I hope others learn from it and don't make the same mistake."

So all unibody vehicles with after market hitches are suspect ?
    So only integrated hitches from the factory are really safe ?

Please share some of this research you refer to.

Im with Geo, any additional info from your research that you can provide would be helpful. Our TV is a 2012 Escape with after market hitch so now I'm wondering how worried we should be about the same thing happening. Wondering if I should take TV to dealer and have them inspect the hitch? Do you think it's something that you would have caught with regular inspection? Also wondering how often this happens and maybe we just don't hear about it?
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Geo said:
    So all unibody vehicles with after market hitches are suspect ?
    So only integrated hitches from the factory are really safe ?

Please share some of this research you refer to.
    I think a lot of it is going to depend on the hitch set-up.  The Escape itself has the power to tow 3500, but the caveat I missed several years ago was that that is with a factory installed tow package.  I finally found, more recently, a tow guide from Ford that has that information.  It was my mistake for missing this when I first went about setting up to tow.

The aftermarket hitch I had is by Valley (which in turn is made by Thule).  It was a class III hitch rated at 400/4000.  It was installed correctly, and I even found a short installation video on eTrailer.  This is installation on an '09 Escape, but the frame has not changed.

It seems that the Valley hitch is a bit different then other hitches made by other manufacturers, and that could have also contributed to the failure.  Below is what the Valley hitch looks like:

And here is a DrawTie hitch for the Escape (Curt's is similar to this as well):

All connections are made to pre-drilled holes that are already in the frame.  The difference between the two are what holes they actually connect to.  The Valley hitch is entirely bottom mounted, so all of the force exerted is pulling on a very thin sheet of metal.  The DrawTie hitch has forward connections that would go into the side of the frame, where there is much more steel between the connection and the downward force.  The failure happened at those forward connections.

The photos below show first the driver's side and then the passenger's side failure points:

If you look closely you can just see the very thin metal between the hitch that was below and the mounting spacer that was above.  That is the part of the frame that was actually holding the hitch.  Over time, the dynamic forces weakened this point, ultimately causing the failure.

So overall, it really depends on a lot of things in the setup of your vehicle and hitch.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Nathan, Thanks for the update. A good heads-up for the folks in a similar situation!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Torzanne said:
    Im with Geo, any additional info from your research that you can provide would be helpful. Our TV is a 2012 Escape with after market hitch so now I'm wondering how worried we should be about the same thing happening. Wondering if I should take TV to dealer and have them inspect the hitch? Do you think it's something that you would have caught with regular inspection? Also wondering how often this happens and maybe we just don't hear about it?
    I am not sure it would have been caught unless I was looking for it.  I would inspect it semi-often but was always looking for rust on the hitch or bolts and to make sure all was good and tight.  Never would I have thought to look for cracks in the frame, nor had I ever seen any.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    This might be an engineering problem involving math and sheer forces that are beyond me, but the side pre-drilled hole I see doesn't seem to be made of any sturdier metal than the bottom metal (might be wrong area I'm looking at too). I'm still very happy about your new TV and that no one was injured (except the Escape) in the mishap.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    I agree, the math is beyond me as well, and I am no engineer, just seems that if you were to put more steel below the hitch attachment points, it could prevent this sort of failure.  Maybe not, or maybe a different type of failure would occur instead, don't really know.

And yes, very happy about the new TV, and hoping it will serve us well in the years to come.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Glad you all were safe and minus the catastrophic event that could easily have occurred!  WOWZA!!!!  :o
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Now I'm even more happy that I traded my 2012 Escape before I purchased my T@B. It, too, had a factory installed 1 1/4" receiver and I had a 2" receiver installed below it. Now we all know that was not a good thing. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    Thanks Nathan . . .

The vertical side plates (on the lower picture) would increase the strength and stability of that hitch.

The Honda Odyssey I have only has the flat horizontal pieces with six bolts (3 on each side).  All the hitches I have looked up that are made for the Odyssey, even the OEM Honda one, only have the flat horizontal pieces. Some are much shorter with only 4 bolts.

I suppose I am fortunate that mine is longer with 6 bolts, extending further forward. I will have to inspect more often and keep a close eye on it.

Thanks to all who have chimed in here for the info. and support.

We don't call this an adventure for nothing ! ! ! 
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • Options
    GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    OHH !  -  and Nathan nice choice on the F-150  -  definitely add the pinstripe, matching and complimenting our "rigs" is part of the "glamping" experience . . .  
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100