Options

T@B Outback Details

I have been looking for some info on the T@B Outback.

1) Does anyone know the proper hitch height for a level outback?
2) Is there any sort of tow hook or hitch or other doo-hicky that you could use to attach a come along to the back of the camper in an extraction situation?

Thanks for the help.  This forum rocks.  B)

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have been looking for some info on the T@B Outback.

1) Does anyone know the proper hitch height for a level outback?
    2) Is there any sort of tow hook or hitch or other doo-hicky that you could use to attach a come along to the back of the camper in an extraction situation?

Thanks for the help.  This forum rocks.  B)
    There are no points, other than the frame you could use. Personally, I wouldn't recommend towing an Outback anywhere that require off-road recovery. Rough Forest Service roads are about as off-road as I would take it.  There are no skids to protect tanks.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    It's not really one of those rugged off-road campers. Pretty much a regular T@B with extra clearance.
  • Options
    TrailpixieTrailpixie Member Posts: 161
    My real intention in using a come along is to jockey a trailer around small, rocky, and sloped campsites where trees make it hard to use the tow vehicle. I am mostly intending to use the Outback on rutted fire roads like you mention.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    TrailP - I already answered these questions that you posted under "new outback."
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Thanks @OutbackAZ somehow I missed your response. 
  • Options
    Of course walking into the site first is absolutely necessary. What I am hoping to be able to do is drive into tight sites, disconnect the trailer and spin it around with a come alone so that I can pull it out the other direction. Of course it won't be too hard to attach to the tongue end, but I was hoping they had something like the receiver on the little guy trailers. That would make it easier to pull into a sheltered spot among the trees. 

I guess wih with some planning I can do all my pulling from the tongue end of the trailer. 
  • Options
    Or become an expert backer upper :-)
  • Options
    I had one 3-weeks ago where I wanted to get up on this little knoll - After walking it I determined it was going to be easier to back out of the site than back in because of the undulation of the path. Got in, unhooked and got the Jeep turned around and out past the T@B so I could go explore. When time to go, reversed the process and backed out.
    Sometimes the normal back in just don't get you there - Ya do what ya got to do :-)
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    You may want to invest in a wireless backup camera for the Outback. I find it invaluable when backing into tight spots. Buy a small 12V battery and bungee it to the Yakima rack. No need to drill any holes.  Get a good one. My cheap $109 Costco has lousy resolution. Another note. Make sure you can get out of your spot when leaving. I try to only camp in spots that "T" with the road. This way I can turn either way on the road. BTW, you'll have a blast learning all this stuff (if it doesn't kill you)!
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Of course walking into the site first is absolutely necessary. What I am hoping to be able to do is drive into tight sites, disconnect the trailer and spin it around with a come alone so that I can pull it out the other direction. Of course it won't be too hard to attach to the tongue end, but I was hoping they had something like the receiver on the little guy trailers. That would make it easier to pull into a sheltered spot among the trees. 

I guess wih with some planning I can do all my pulling from the tongue end of the trailer. 
    Spinning the T@b on uneven ground is easier said, than done.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Jenn speaks the truth - or on soft ground.
  • Options
    GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 159
    edited July 2017
    Does anyone know the ground clearance for the Outback? I'm considering taking ours down some Forest Service roads I can take our SUV on if I'm real careful and there is no precipitation. Also, it comes with a pitched axel, but is the axel actually of heavier duty?
    2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road