Options

Removing the air conditioner in a Q

Has anyone removed their air conditioner in a T@b Q and turned the opening into a cabinet.  We are kicking the idea around, haven't used the air conditioner in the 2 years we have owned our Q.
Happy Trails,
Phil & Anita - Driftless: 2018 T@B 400/2015 Ford Explorer 

Comments

• Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    This is from our 2017 T@b S with the AC Box made into a cabinet at the factory....just to see what you would be shooting for.

2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I have an '06 with no air conditioner installed.  I'm very happy with the extra cabinet space.  With two cabinets in that area, I can keep all my dishes and cooking utensils in the lower one and 2-3 weeks of food in the upper cabinet.  
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    oops wrong model... my cabinet won't apply...please ignore unhelpful post
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    driftlessdriftless Member Posts: 135
    Thanks for the comments and picture dsatwork.  Mash2 do you have any pictures of your lower cabinet?  Since we have the air conditioner vent on the outside, we are considering replacing that with an exterior access door rather than just sealing it from the inside.
    Happy Trails,

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Here is a picture of my lower cabinet.  I added a slide out drawer that holds everything cooking/dishes related (with collapsable dish rack stored to the right). They are all stored in the box and slide in and out on a modified drawer pull.  I added the "white" cover added a storage shelf above.  I just lift it off and the dishes are stored in front and the pots and pans are in the back half of the box. The top draw has slide in containers (there are 4 13" cloth storage bins with bamboo fronts that hold different classes of foods - bakery, soups, etc) .   Examples are shown in the image attached. 

The lower drawer holds everything cooking and dishes except the silverware which are stored in drawer that I also added by adjusting location of the refrig (shown in second photo).  Just to round out, there is a photo of the area below the sink where I also added pull out drawer for teapot and other things to get to in the morning.  Lower cabinet contains spare stove, cleaning/etc.  

• Options
    Wow, that's a lot of storage!  So jealous of your storage drawers by the door too.
    Happy Trails,

• Options
    edited February 2017
    I look at the current trailers and wonder how everyone fits everything in the t@B.  But you are right.  With the storage described above plus the back bench area and upper cabinets in front and rear cabinets. I never have issues with storage.  (I moved batteries into the T@B and they take up half of the side benches, but haven't had a problems with the new arrangement.

• Options
    Thanks again! We love the storage in the Q and, so far, haven't missed the wet bath during our travels. Once we pull the air conditioner, we may have more questions about your drawers.  
    Happy Trails,

• Options
    Me_and_My_DogMe_and_My_Dog Member Posts: 184
    mash2 said:

Thanks for the lovely pics. Is that a magnetic screen door? Are you happy with it? I'm trying to figure out how to install one and how to attach it to the T@B. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Katt and Miss Cannoli the Zen Dog
    2008 DM T@DA — Towed by 2014 Dodge Durango — Full time since 6/29/17
    "Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    We also haven't used the A/C in our 2015-S in two seasons, and are seriously considering fashioning a cabinet out of the space. Ideally, we'd like to retain the option to reinstall the A/C if and when it's needed, but for now it's just not good use of limited real estate.

There are some good threads here on removing the A/C. If I actually get around to doing it, I'll get back and post my thoughts on the cabinet conversion. In the meantime, keep the ideas coming!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Scott: Search "how to remove the air conditioner" for photos I posted last year.  I too have not used my A/C and am toying with the idea of using that space for storage.  I have a call in to Elsie at NuCamp to see if they have a wood door that would work.  The A/C weights 37 lbs., so that would be a nice weight reduction.  The inside of the A/C cabinet is very rough and some type of surface would need to be added to keep things from getting damaged.  Also, the bottom of my cabinet is simply the plastic drip pan which would not hold any weight whatsoever.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Thanks, OutbackAZ--yours was the thread I was thinking of. My enclosure does have a wooden bottom, which I presume supports the drip pan. Keep us posted if you move ahead with the project or get any more info from NuCamp. I figured I'd have to build a door, but I'm not above buying one, particularly if it can match the rest of the cabinetry. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Just spoke with Elsie at NuCamp.  The wood door is 17 3/4" x 14" and $50.  Not sure if that includes the hinges and/or knob, and will assume the hinges go on the right.  The actual cabinet opening without the wood trim frame is 16 3/4" x 12/3/4."  The wood fascia is 5/8" thick.  There is also the aluminum frame next to the fascia, so the actual thickness is 1 3/8" where the hinges would be attached.  I'll post photos of the door when it arrives.  
  • Options
    Cool--thanks for the update!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Me and my Dog;  Yes it is a magnetic screen.  It is attached with velcr to the t@b using the wooden edges around the door.  I used two kits, and doubled up the placement of magnets, particularly along the bottom of the screen.  I replaced the magnets in the screen with neodymium magnets (stronger), and it works fine. I had to glue the magnet holders closed to compensate for the increased strength, but it holds the screen shut very well at this point.  I added a couple of magnets on the outside edges near the middle on the side to hold it open when not in use. For me, it works extremely well.  I can walk thru without having to move anteing and it generally reseals itself when I'm done, though I do have to occasionally play with the bottom magnets to keep a reasonable seal.   I live in northern california so bugs are not as big an issue  -- though in my last tour of the east/midwest/southwest/south it worked very well so I was happy I had it.  
  • Options
    Me_and_My_DogMe_and_My_Dog Member Posts: 184
    mash2 said:
    Me and my Dog;  Yes it is a magnetic screen.  It is attached with velcr to the t@b using the wooden edges around the door.  I used two kits, and doubled up the placement of magnets, particularly along the bottom of the screen.  I replaced the magnets in the screen with neodymium magnets (stronger), and it works fine. I had to glue the magnet holders closed to compensate for the increased strength, but it holds the screen shut very well at this point.  I added a couple of magnets on the outside edges near the middle on the side to hold it open when not in use. For me, it works extremely well.  I can walk thru without having to move anteing and it generally reseals itself when I'm done, though I do have to occasionally play with the bottom magnets to keep a reasonable seal.   I live in northern california so bugs are not as big an issue  -- though in my last tour of the east/midwest/southwest/south it worked very well so I was happy I had it.  
    Thank you! As I live here in the deep south, keeping bugs out is critical for my continuing happy camper status. I appreciate your explanation. I have an older T@B and will likely need to MacGyver something custom. Ever since I got my used T@B, and having virtually no mechanical aptitude or experience, MacGyver has become my favorite new verb! It's very empowering.
    Katt and Miss Cannoli the Zen Dog
    2008 DM T@DA — Towed by 2014 Dodge Durango — Full time since 6/29/17
    "Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options

Tabaz said:

Just spoke with Elsie at NuCamp.  The wood door is 17 3/4" x 14" and $50.  Not sure if that includes the hinges and/or knob, and will assume the hinges go on the right.  The actual cabinet opening without the wood trim frame is 16 3/4" x 12/3/4."  The wood fascia is 5/8" thick.  There is also the aluminum frame next to the fascia, so the actual thickness is 1 3/8" where the hinges would be attached.  I'll post photos of the door when it arrives.  

@Tabaz, did you ever follow through with ordering/installing the door for the A/C cabinet? If so, how'd that turn out?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Scott - Decided to hold off for now with summer approaching.  The door is very well-made and matches the other cabinetry.  Comes with hinges and a brushed nickel knob.  Looks like it perfectly fits the A/C opening.
  • Options
    We also have the door but decided to hold off on removing the a.c..  During a trip to Louisanna in April we used the ac
      Now heading to Nevada and Arizona we decided removimg maybe short sided
    Happy Trails,

• Options
    Yesterday I decided to dive in and tackle the A/C to cabinet conversion. I didn't really have a plan, but assumed I would figure something out once I had a better sense of what I was working on. While my primary objective was to reclaim a little storage space, I also wanted to retain the option of reinstalling the A/C without too much fuss. Ultimately, I decided to  replace the A/C with an identically sized cabinet insert.

The air intake fan and outlet cable were in the way. I removed the fan, disconnected and capped all the wires, and moved them off to the side. A piece of 1/2" plywood (painted black on the outside) was friction fit into the A/C grill to close the opening and hide the unfinished back of the cabinet insert:

I built a box from scrap plywood and installed a flanged frame on the face:

The box slides in in place of the A/C. The frame is secured with two screws, in the same manner as the trim that was originally around the A/C:

Once I was sure everything fit, I attached a simple slab door:

I may spring for the matching door from NuCamp at some point, but this gets me started with a total investment of <$6 (for the hinges and the pull). It's a fairly small cabinet and it doesn't fully utilize the A/C space. I'm not sure exactly what we are going to put in it, so time will tell if it was worth the bother!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Scott - very nice mod!  I too was hoping to use more of the A/C cabinet area.  BTW, the factory door is nice, but not $50 nicer than the one you made.
  • Options
    Thanks, Tabaz. I did toy with ideas for finishing the interior of the existing cabinet with some sort of removable panels, but given the odd shape and the hardware inside, decided doing so was more was more fitting and fussing (compared to just building a box) than I was willing to undertake for the prototype. I may revisit the issue down the road as I determine the utility (and limitations) of the new cabinet. I'm still interested in seeing what you come up with if/when you decide to make the conversion!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    clinckclinck Member Posts: 57
    I live in th southwest...we ain't giving up an air conditioner for no stinkin cabinet for dishes..just kidding.. If you can live without "air".. Good for you.. I don't live in Alaska..
    Chris and Toby, the wonder dog
    2014 320S
    2016 kia Sorrento SXL V6
  • Options
    I hear ya', clinck! Sorry that you don't live in a place where you can breath "real" air.  ;-)
    2015 T@B S