Options

Just trying to help some folks out! - Tekonsha Prodigy?

ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
edited February 2017 in Trailer & Towing
My question is about the wireless Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller. These folks are driving from Spokane, Wa. to Kansas to pick up their brand new 2017 T@B MAX S, towing with a Subaru Outback 3.6L. Thoughts on this controller, pluses and minuses would be helpful, and appreciated. I guess my big question is about the charging capabilities of this controller. Will it, won't it charge the battery while towing, and if not, the fix for this if any. Is this a plug-n-play operation, and how difficult to install is it. Best place to purchase, etc. Any info would be great as they are due to leave Friday, March 3rd. Thanks for any help, advise, and or cautions. Also, any other recommendations would be helpful as well.
2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
Spokane, Wa.
Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

Comments

• Options
    DaveODaveO Member Posts: 5
    Based on my experience it is a good, though expensive, unit.  I have one on my 2017 Outback, though I have only towed it a couple of times. The hitch plug(7wire) on the tow vehicle will require an 8 gauge wire and a 40 amp circuit breaker from the battery to the hot terminal on the hitch plug(vehicle side). this This wire provides power for both the electric trailer brake and the recharge of the trailer battery. Because I had some 4 gauge welding cable laying around, that is what I used, though it is admittedly overkill in this application. I have two tow vehicles and have set them both up to use this system. All you do, after the wiring, is attach the Tab to either vehicle, plug the 7 pin connector in and plug the portable brake controller into the cigarette lighter plug. The toughest part is running the wiring the entire length of the vehicle.  My one tow vehicle had the battery in the trunk, which made that one easy! I hope this helps. The installation manual is available on the internet.
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    If your friends have a 7 pin hook up completed, not much else is necessary. The brakes are powered through this hook up. The charging line is already in place to charge the trailer battery through the 7 pin hook up. The receiver takes 4 self tapping screws into the frame of the trailer. The controller plugs into the cigarette lighter plug in the vehicle. You dial more or less braking power until you feel comfortable about the trailers stopping ability on the controller. Then while you tow, you drive and brake as you need. The controller takes care of the rest.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    TrailpixieTrailpixie Member Posts: 161
    That does look like a flexible brake controller.

Can you operate the wireless controller away from a car power port? 

I have a a smallish, ruggedized battery pack that I use for recharging, and I thought I might be able to connect the wireless controller to that pack and use it handheld for manually engaging the trailer brakes while moving it around. 

Would that work?
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    Yes, @ericnliz this is essentually a plug n play unit. I love the ease of operation. Installed it on our 2017 max s sofitel. Did 6 weeks across the west and southwest. 10,000 miles. Deserts and many many mountains. Perfect operation and handling. Posted in a previous thread that our tv was totalled just days before our scheduled departure, just removed the controller from the tv and plugged it into the replacement tv. Easy. Had made sure the replacement vehicle had a completed 7 pin plug. Wonderful. One less hassle that could have derailed the vacation of a lifetime. Will only do this on any other trailers, if we ever change. @Trailpixie, husband thinks there might be a manual setting, but not sure. Plz check.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone that came to help! Your support is to be commended. They chose to go with the hardwired unit, rather than the wireless set-up. From reading a bunch of posts on the subject, I think this is more of a personal comfort level choice for a lot of folks. One big determining factor for them was the charging capability while driving, which I totally understand. Again, thanks to all that chimed in to help out!
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    TrailpixieTrailpixie Member Posts: 161
    I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I don't think that the Tekonsha Prodigy prevents charging. Am I missing something?
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    No, you're right.  The brake controller or even a trailer with brakes at all is wholly unrelated to charging your T@Bs battery on the go.

I believe the confusion arises from the fact that if you have a wireless brake controller, the charging pin setup is a MUST.  In all other hardwired brake setups, one of the 7 pins on the trailer connector provides the power directly to the brakes FROM the tow vehicle.  In a wireless setup, the trailers battery is expected to provide the braking power, hence the need for the charging pin (another one of the 7 pins on the trailer connector).
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    JoanJoan Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for all the information. We decided to go with the hard wiring for the electric brake controller. We are new to the T@B Trailer world and will feel more comfortable/confident with the hard wiring.
  • Options
    ;) Like I always say, you have to do what's most comfortable for you. Travel safe!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    I love using the Prodigy. The only problem I had was the self tapping screws were very difficult to drill in. The on line video made it look super easy. Not so in my case. 
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @kybob, the easy stuff is always the hardest stuff to do and when things go easily, you panic because you just *know* you did something wrong (no blood, no ER, no cuss words.... ).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)