Options

Heading South. Anyone been to Big Bend?

sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
edited March 2017 in Camping & Travel
We've had enough winter and are planning on heading south to Big Bend National Park soon. Has anyone been there? If so, do you have any advice on where to camp or what to do? 
Only item on our to do list is to cross the Rio Grande to visit Boquillas, Mexico.

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    We will be headed there in June, and yes, I expect it will be hot.

I plan to spend a couple of nights at Maverick Ranch RV Park, which sits between the National Park and the State Park, in Lajitas, TX.  There is a NPS campground, dry camping, near the boarder crossing at Boquillas, as well as a NP concession operated RV park with FHU, but that place just looks like a parking lot, more so then most.

We have not yet decided if we want to get a passport to cross the boarder.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    We're leaving the last week in March, hopefully to avoid the spring break crowds.
    A little concerned about high winds that time of year. Heat sounds pretty good.
  • Options
    jasinjasin Member Posts: 8
    I just got back from 5 days in Big Bend NP. I stayed in Cottonwood Campground - no hookups, no generators allowed, there is potable water & pit toilets. The campground was full every day, usually by 4-5 PM. I drove through the Chisos campground - very tight, small sites, no privacy at all.

It was very hot so I did more off-roading than anticipated. The Old Ore Road was challenging at times but the views were worthwhile. I'd like to go back and camp at one of the sites near the southern end (this part of the trail is easily passable).
    2016 Outback MAX S, 2014 Ford F-150 FX4

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    Planning our adventures for 2022.  How long should we plan to stay in Big Bend?  I know it is big and it takes a long time to travel to various places within the park.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 271
    I would plan for at least a week. Whatever you do, do not go there in the summer. Too blessed hot, especially down near the river. I reserve my visits for November through February. Rio Grande Village down near Boquillas has a decent RV section. It’s also not far from the  hot springs that are on the river. Call 432-477-2293 well ahead of time for reservations. If you want to visit Boquillas, at least legally, take your passport. There are a lot of trails in the park. My favorites are those on the desert floor. If you are an experienced hiker, you can also have fun off-trail exploring the dry washes that are plentiful in the desert. Just be sure to stay oriented and carry a good amount of water with you. BB may appear bleak and desolate at first, but the more time you spend there the more its Chihuahuan Desert beauty comes out. Have fun!
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    @Binghi - we are looking at March.  Hope to avoid most of the heat and see some of the wild flowers, too.  Have you stayed in the park?  We are considering Chisos Basin.  Higher elevation, so hopefully cooler nights.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited July 2021
    Mornin Sharon, you need to check the length requirements at Chisos Basin as that is a cramped area and with a lot of changing elevation.  I’ve been through there several times and there isn’t a lot of room and it’s pretty compact.  I would recommend Rio Grande Village personally as the campsites are spread out more.  I always liked camping in the sites on the outer perimeter more towards the mountain area as they were more private.  And do some research as there is a generator area there and you’ll want to steer clear of those sites as it gets noisy.  I’m guessing 3-4 days maximum and you can easily see everything you want.  Panther Junction is the hub area of the park for gas, souvenirs, etc. but there are services and a laundry, gas, store, text. area at Rio Grande.  Some magnificent scenery down in that corner and vistas that will blow you away.  As noted, take your passports and you can cross over and hit the small Mexican town of Boquilla Flats just across the River.  This is a safe, remote town and well away from any major population area of Mexico that cater to Americans on a small scale.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 271
    Sharon, I’ve stayed throughout the park over the past 30 years. Not so much trailering, but backpacking and truck camping. As noted above, the Chisos Basin is cramped and crowded. I would stay at Rio Grande Village and drive your hopefully high-clearance vehicle to places in the park. March is a good time to see the flowers; just be ready for possible highs in the 90’s. It cools off well at night. Ocotillo blossoms are awesome! Be sure to check out the Rio Grande River canyons: Boquillas, Santa Elena, and if you’re an intrepid hiker, Mariscal.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    Thanks @Michigan_Mike and @Binghi!  More decisions in our future!