Options

cabinet lid

drpprmtdrpprmt Member Posts: 117
Any suggestions on how to keep the cabinet lid from slamming shut on your knuckles while trying to put stuff in or out of that long cabinet in the back of the max S.  If I can't figure it out I will have to name our new unit "blueknuckle".  Also, we have been trying to stick baskets, etc. to the wall using those sticky hooks.  It makes a lot of noise when the fall off.  I hate using screws, especially in the bath but it looks like that is the permanent solution.???

Comments

• Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 452

Not sure of your setup, but I found really nice struts that hold up all my under seat storage lids (that I've added hinges to). If this would work, let me know and I'll find the link. I got four of them for under $20 via Amazon. Superb quality.

I know that Command makes specific strips for wet environments (bathrooms) and they also make a picture hanging strip that's extra large that is spec'd at 16 lbs if you use four of them.
    2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    Also, if you could post a photo of the actual baskets you're trying to hang, I might be able to come up with more alternatives once I see the size/surface material.
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    drpprmtdrpprmt Member Posts: 117
    I like the struts.  Looking on amazon now  thanks
  • Options
    drpprmt said:
    I like the struts.  Looking on amazon now  thanks
    Apexstone 100N/22.5lb Gas Struts,Gas Springs,Gas Strut,Lift Support,Gas Shocks,Lid Stay,Lid Support,Set of 4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KCR704U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_b1rUybCY0MQ68
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    drpprmt said:
    If I can't figure it out I will have to name our new unit "blueknuckle". 
    I'd say that is a winner for best name!

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,442
    Quit whining--those of us with older T@Bs don't even get that back cabinet!  :-)

Actually, this got me thinking. Has anybody modified (or thought about modifying) the back shelf in a 2015 or older in order to gain a little storage from that otherwise dead space underneath?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    ScottG said:
    Quit whining--those of us with older T@Bs don't even get that back cabinet!  :-)

Actually, this got me thinking. Has anybody modified (or thought about modifying) the back shelf in a 2015 or older in order to gain a little storage from that otherwise dead space underneath?
    Yes, but I'm still tweaking it. I put two layers of Reflectex on the bottom to shield it from the heat from the fins, but it still needs more insulation. It's nice to put extra flashlights and cords in them. I did make two boxes to help with the weight of me installing the boxes. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Verna said:
    ScottG said:

Yes, but I'm still tweaking it. I put two layers of Reflectex on the bottom to shield it from the heat from the fins, but it still needs more insulation. It's nice to put extra flashlights and cords in them. I did make two boxes to help with the weight of me installing the boxes. 
    Did you put a piano hinge on the lid? I don't know how deep the space is (T@b is at the factory) but have wondered if you could stick those under the shelf drawers on the bottom of the plywood cover.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    Verna said:
    ScottG said:

Did you put a piano hinge on the lid? I don't know how deep the space is (T@b is at the factory) but have wondered if you could stick those under the shelf drawers on the bottom of the plywood cover.

Jenn, it is far too hot under there for exposed plastic. I was amazed at how hot it got inside my box made of 1/2" birch plywood. 

And, yes, I did use piano hinges and I left a space at the rear for the heat to escape. As I recall, the exterior measurement was 6" deep. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna said:
    jkjenn said:
    Verna said:
    ScottG said:

Jenn, it is far too hot under there for exposed plastic. I was amazed at how hot it got inside my box made of 1/2" birch plywood. 

And, yes, I did use piano hinges and I left a space at the rear for the heat to escape. As I recall, the exterior measurement was 6" deep. 

Thanks, @Verna . I wonder if that plywood could or should be replaced with some type of grate?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited March 2017
    @jkjenn, I'm still thinking of possibilities. A grate wouldn't allow me to store any cables, flashlights or lanterns due to the heat from the fin deteriorating the plastics. I'll check out my favorite hardware stores for possibilities. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    gbellgbell Member Posts: 88
    I just ordered 2 small piston hinge closures for the front, 2 upper cabinets from Elsie at PV $1.05 plus shipping. No more having to use my head to hold open.
  • Options
    Verna said:
    @jkjenn, I'm still thinking of possibilities. A grate wouldn't allow me to store any cables, flashlights or lanterns due to the heat from the fun deteriorating the plastics. I'll check out my favorite hardware stores for possibilities. 

Does the area under the driver send bench get hot, as well, or not as much because it can vent. I am also thinking of these containers under there for storing extra cords. I have an over-abundance of cords.

• Options
    gbellgbell Member Posts: 88
    I guess you'd call the struts.

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    Verna said:
    @jkjenn, I'm still thinking of possibilities. A grate wouldn't allow me to store any cables, flashlights or lanterns due to the heat from the fun deteriorating the plastics. I'll check out my favorite hardware stores for possibilities. 

Does the area under the driver send bench get hot, as well, or not as much because it can vent. I am also thinking of these containers under there for storing extra cords. I have an over-abundance of cords.
    Driver's end bench? If you mean with the Alde, yes, that gets hot and the storage boxes would be in the way of winterizing, plus in the way of any maintenance. The bench behind the bathroom with the converter and electrical wiring--I store nothing there, plus I have my "pantry" on top of that bench seat. No heat, but storage would be in the way of water pipes and electrical. I use the passenger seat area for electronics storage. 

Yes, as I recall, your T@B is configured just a bit differently than mine. 

Ed at the factory told me they use 1/2" foil faced insulation on the bottom of the boxes. I was unable to find any smaller than a 4'x8' sheet. I'll kerp looking
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna said:
    jkjenn said:
    Verna said:

Driver's end bench? If you mean with the Alde, yes, that gets hot and the storage boxes would be in the way of winterizing, plus in the way of any maintenance. The bench behind the bathroom with the converter and electrical wiring--I store nothing there, plus I have my "pantry" on top of that bench seat. No heat, but storage would be in the way of water pipes and electrical. I use the passenger seat area for electronics storage. 

Yes, as I recall, your T@B is configured just a bit differently than mine. 

Ed at the factory told me they use 1/2" foil faced insulation on the bottom of the boxes. I was unable to find any smaller than a 4'x8' sheet. I'll kerp looking
    I meant where the converter is. I was thinking if I put mounted these to the bottom to he bench, it would work. Yeah, I have an Alde radiator in there, but it is partitioned, off, some.

HD has the 1/2" foam and you could probably wrap in foil. (http://www.homedepot.com/p/R-Matte-Rmax-Plus-3-1-2-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-R-3-2-Polyisocyanurate-Rigid-Foam-Insulation-Board-754404/100572981)

• Options
    Thanks
    Verna, Columbus, IN