Options

Visor Pole Channel Fills With Water During Heavy Rains - Anyone Install A Vertical Pole?

AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 452
I live in the PNW and it often rains when I camp. I have the standard (not XL) visor. If the rain is heavy, the visor's pole channel will actually start to fill with water, which weighs down the whole visor over time (like overnight). I then have to lift the visor very high up, one side at a time, to drain the water (it pour out of the holes in the ends of the channel). I am wondering if anyone has this issue, and if they've done anything to support the edge of the visor so that the water can drain out by itself.

2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
Seattle, WA

Comments

• Options
    LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    By "pole channel" are you referring to the outer edge of the visor?    No, I can't answer your question, but was curious. :)
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    Could you be installing your visor upside down? I think there is a topside.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    There is a top and a bottom, the seeming should go on the bottom.  I have never had this issue, but mine is an XL, so there may be some differences.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    LauraRey said:
    By "pole channel" are you referring to the outer edge of the visor?    No, I can't answer your question, but was curious. :)
    Yes, exactly.
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    Maybe you could put a small hole in the pole sleeve fabric at the low spot(s) so the area drains.  A melted hole won't fray (hot nail) or a grommet could be added.

• Options
    @Cyclonic @RollingBnB I doubt it, but will take photos this weekend to illustrate. From my recollection the pole entry slots were on the underside. It is these slots that allow the water to pour out of when I lift the water filled visor to dump it. The water literally collects inside the edgte trim pole channel, fills up and causes the visor to sag. I pour out the water and it is fine. I can't be the only one camping in heavy rain.... can I? 
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    rfuss928 said:
    Maybe you could put a small hole in the pole sleeve fabric at the low spot(s) so the area drains.  A melted hole won't fray (hot nail) or a grommet could be added.
    Great idea! I suppose even adding additional slots that have melted edges could work. Or it is possible the current slots could be enlarged because the ends should be the lowest point, right?
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Looking at photos of mine I would guess the low spots are about two feet out between the guy lines and the trailer.

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357

That's interesting.  Looking at the photo, the black fabric end where the pole enters is on the "top" while the loops for the guide lines are on the "bottom."  On my XL Visor, both are on the bottom.  I can see how water would get into the opening in the black fabric slit.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    @OutbackAZ That is interesting! Mine are on the underside...attaching photo.

@rfuss928 You're totally right, that's where I'd need to locate the drainage slots/holes.

I will pay attention to see if the water collection is more on the side with the pole entrance slit, because if it is, then perhaps where the water is coming in. It seems hard to imagine water is coming in that slot, but every time I camp in the rain, it slowly droops and then I pour at least a few cups of water out in the morning. I do seem to recall that the drooping isn't symmetrical, so perhaps it is entering via the opening, but it still seems hard to imagine that's the path...

If it's symmetrical, then the water is somehow seeping into that pole channel via the fabric/stitching and collecting at the lowest two points.

Seattle, WA
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited March 2017
    OutbackAZ said:

That's interesting.  Looking at the photo, the black fabric end where the pole enters is on the "top" while the loops for the guide lines are on the "bottom."  On my XL Visor, both are on the bottom.  I can see how water would get into the opening in the black fabric slit.

Perhaps there is an old-versus-new issue where originally the pole slots were on top.
    Makes sense to be on the bottom and not exposed to rain directly.
    Can it easily be flipped with guy line loops moved to the other side?
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    OutbackAZ said:

Perhaps there is an old-versus-new issue where originally the pole slots were on top.
    Makes sense to be on the bottom and not exposed to rain directly.
    Can it easily be flipped with guy line loops moved to the other side?
    It could be flipped, except mine has pole slots on the underside/bottom. But the culprit could still be the slots themselves. 

Am camping this weekend in the rain and will take photos and post. Since joining the forum I have discovered the bungee ball shark clamp visor tie down method and was imaining that if it was tight, maybe the water would not accumulate. But haven't tested that theory.
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Perhaps the fabric itself needs to be waterproofed.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    My visor was a very early version.  The slots were on the bottom like AldebaranJill photo.  The black on the top is just reinforcement of the pole pocket.
    I think the seam between the between the pole sleeve and silver fabric probably leaks.
    IIRC the water accumulation happened to me sometime but I switched to an XL very soon and didn't use the regular much after.
    I have never had a problem with water accumulation using the XL visor.

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited March 2017
    AldebaranJill, In the past, I've used a product called Camp Dry. I've used it on not only my old tent trailer, but several outdoor umbrellas as well. What I liked about it was it filled in seams, and made them waterproof as well as waterproofing the fabric. I haven't had to purchase any lately, but pretty sure it was either a Walmart, or Home Depot find. Comes in an aerosol can, so you just spray it on, and let it dry. two coats works best, to ensure good coverage. Two draw-backs are: smells strong before it dries, and pick a non-windy day to use it outside. I hope this will help. :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    Mine does the same.  I push the water toward the end so it can run out, but it's aggravating when you have an all-day rain.  My Visor is almost 4 years old.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    I appreciate all the assistance and ideas! I camped in the rain this weekend, and paid special attention to what happened to the visor over time.

The visor itself is quite waterproof, meaning the water does not penetrate the fabric, but instead seeps into the edging, where it collects, and slowly gets heavier and heavier until it droops down, collecting more and more water. The problem with adding holes to allow drainage, was that the lowest point moves around quite a bit, so I would have to add a bunch of holes and am not at all sure the "pressure" of gravity would overcome the surface tension....so instead, I opted for this modification:

I went to the local Ace Hardware and bought two painters poles. I drilled holes in the plastic ends (that have screw threads), fed in a bungie ball and tied to a shark clamp and fastened the shark clamp to the edge of the visor, grabbing the interior pole.

I used tent stakes on the bottom, again using ball bungies to attach the stakes to the pole (already had a hole).

This did well in about 15 knots and no water accumulated. It also dried out much faster than it used to. I used shark clamps and bungie balls because that's what I had on hand, certainly could do differently.

The painters poles were nice since they collapsed down to 3 feet, were about 6 feet fully extended, which is why I selected them for this mission.

Visor held in four places: bungie used on each end to handles, and two poles.

Close up of foot of painting pole. It came with a hole already, so used stake and ball bungie. Would definitely need better stake for more wind, but this was all I had with me at the time.

Close up of top of pole. Drilled hold through red plastic tip of painting pole then tied onto shark's tale hole, and had shark's mouth clamp onto the fiberglass pole inside channel.

No water collected, stayed nice and firm in winds that would otherwise have blown it around. When it gets wet, it usually gets quite full of water and then because of the weight on the edge, would get floppy and blow down into the side of the trailer (using only rope lines as before). This method prevent water drainage, prevents it from blowing into the side of the trailer when winds cause down draft, and prevents blowing up and over trailer. Will continue to test in stronger winds with improved stakes. The black and white painters poles matched the over color scheme of the trailer as well, no one who stopped to talk to me noticed they were not official visor equipment. :-)
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Very similar to the way my painter pole antenna mask setup is held in place in combination with my alternative visor tie down except poles instead of straps. Aren't bungee balls great. Love those things :-)
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Aren't bungee balls great. Love those things :-)
    I am in LOVE with bungee balls now.
    Seattle, WA