Options

Lug Nuts on 2015 T@B

OmahaOmaha Member Posts: 5
Had a flat tire. Yikes!!! The Lug Nuts on the wheels fit my wrench. Great... this shouldn't take long. Alas.. the nuts  holding the spare are a different size. Of course, I didn't have that size in my tool box. "#%€##!!" Who would have thunk? A easy 1/2 hour job took at least 4 and a call to a friend to bring me the right socket and breaker bar. check yours... just in case. Better yet... move your spare to the front. 

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    You didn't read every single post on this forum did you? :-)
    Seriously though - OUCH :-(
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    That's why I carry the foldable four-way in both trucks & the T@B. Not just for myself, can think of at least two folks who had the same predicament on their cars/trucks when they bought new wheels with new lug nuts that the original lug wrench didn't fit. Both were VERY glad I stopped. Sorry I wasn't handy to help you out. :s Glad you got it fixed though. :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,354
    I'm the lug nut guy on the forum. I remind all newbies to make sure their TV lug wrench fits the TAB nuts. This should be a DEALER item covered during the purchase walk through. So sorry to hear about your experience. Please contact your dealer to relate your experience.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    OutbackAZ, Good point, and I'm kinda curious why they have to use a different size to begin with. :o
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I was fortunate to read about the kit Verna had purchased that has 4 types of lugs (2 SAE and 2 metric) that has served her well. My trusty old 4 way-bar lug remover wasn't going to even fit under the T@B where the spare was (originally). I was also fortunate that I was at home when I removed the spare and the lugs were not only loose, they were loose enough for me to not have to use a wrench to get them off. After having to hold up 40# of tire to undo 2 lugs in the heat of summer, I swore I'd never get under there again to take that tire off if I ever had a flat and the the lugs were the least of my concerns. Needless to say, the tire got moved. It was also getting minor scrapes when going up steepish driveways into gas stations. Double win to moving it from underneath.

I'm so sorry you had a problem!!! Glad you found someone to help you. I hope it didn't ruin an otherwise nice camping trip.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,417
    ericnliz said:
    OutbackAZ, Good point, and I'm kinda curious why they have to use a different size to begin with. :o
    I suspect it's less about what they had to do and more about what was convenient and available to build the original mount for the spare.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    ericnliz said:
    The under mount for the spare tire is made by a different manufacturer than the typical lugs for the tires. Why? I dunno ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 451
    @Verna - Could you please post link to the kit you use? Thanks!
    2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
  • Options

Dorman 711-900 AutoGrade Lug Wrench

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SEXO3E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think that was V that suggested it. She'll correct me if it was someone else. Better memory than me!! It's been invaluable and more versatile than my set that came with my truck or the old cross bar that I've had for a century (great for stepping on when a breaker bar is not available on the road). That old thing might be nearing its retirement.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity is correct again!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Thanks @Ratkity @Verna :-)
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    I actually keep mine next to the passenger seat so I know where it is. Note: a deep well socket is invaluable for the lug nuts on the tire. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna said:
    I actually keep mine next to the passenger seat so I know where it is. Note: a deep well socket is invaluable for the lug nuts on the tire. 
    Does it come with the sockets that fit both spare and wheel, or do I need to purchase additional?
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    If I already have a breaker bar, then I just need to get the right sockets - what are they for the spare tire and wheels?
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    If I already have a breaker bar, then I just need to get the right sockets - what are they for the spare tire and wheels?
    11/16" for the spare, 3/4" for the tires
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna said:
    Note: a deep well socket is invaluable for the lug nuts on the tire. 
    So you're saying that if you buy the Dorman, you still purchased an additional 19mm - 3/4" deep socket?

Seattle, WA
  • Options
    Verna said:
    So you're saying that if you buy the Dorman, you still purchased an additional 19mm - 3/4" deep socket?

I did because the fancy lug nuts on the tires are easier to remove with the deep well socket. As I recall, the deep well fit down into the "well" around the lug nut and didn't scratch the wheel. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna said:
    Verna said:

I did because the fancy lug nuts on the tires are easier to remove with the deep well socket. As I recall, the deep well fit down into the "well" around the lug nut and didn't scratch the wheel. 
    But to remove the spare, you can use the standard sockets, no deep needed?
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    Verna said:
    Verna said:

But to remove the spare, you can use the standard sockets, no deep needed?
    Correct
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Thank you @Verna ! Just ordered two sockets for my breaker bar. =)
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    edited March 2017
    I'm will be on the lookout for a ratcheting breaker bar for lug nut work.  I'm wondering if with a correct bit for the stabilizer screw and maybe some extensions could that be a workable substitute for the stabilizer crank handle? ( I don't want to carry a drill, thanks.) 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    The set that Verna and I have have 2 sides to the sockets, one is 17 and 19mm and the other is the SAE that V mentioned. I did just order a breaker bar (non ratcheting), but did get extensions. Some times it's not just the deep sockets you need to clear the bolt ends, but the tool needs to clear the tire depending how deep the rim is. The bottom line? I like tools like V likes saws! :)
  • Options
    dundonsdundons Member Posts: 36
    Be advised you folks with a 2016 CS like mine: the spare tire mount takes a 13/16th socket, and you'll need an extension to clear the tire.
     2016 T@B CS/ 2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser