Options

Solar Panel on T@B Outback rack?

EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
Reading about all the folks who have solar panels for keeping their camper powered without hookups, I bought a Renogy system with the hope of mounting on the Outback style rear rack. I am hoping for advice from others before I buy the rack and start the process of mounting the solar panel. Has anyone mounted a panel on the rack?
Stancil Campbell
2011 T@B
Rockingham, NC

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Estancio, It has been my experience that with solar panels, you'll need to move them around a bit during the day to obtain the best results. ScottG and I have the same Renogy suitcase models, and in a recent post, he spoke of going to longer extension cables. My guess would be to obtain not only better results, but also to be able to move out of more shaded areas and be more versatile. If you mount them on a rack as you're describing, you're limiting the amount of solar charge you'll be able to obtain, unless you park your T@B with the rack facing full sun. With our system, you simply pick the whole thing up, adjust it accordingly, and you're done. Twice a day is usually all I need to move the panels. Just trying to give you some info before you jump in on the rack. Hope this helps.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I agree with ericnliz.  Also check into how fragile the panels are.  Anything secured to the Outback rack will take a beating over rough roads.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I had an 85W glass solar panel (non-flexible) on my LG 5' Reverse Tear sloped front (added panel in 2010). It could handle hail and an amazing amount of beating and abuse. It was attached with permanent brackets.

That said, I made a cover JUST for traveling. Easy to make. 1" pink insulation board shaped to the panel + 4 sides, titebond glue. After creating and letting glue dry, add favorite fabric (chili peppers for me at the time) attached via Titebond glue (rolled on the entire insulation and fabric). This was held on by 2 custom made "belts" with plastic clips while traveling - black snap clips gotten at fabric store. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Agree with the others - I reorient mine three times a day. I also have a 20' extension cable so I can park in the shade and still keep fully charged.
    The advantage of roof mount is it's charging while traveling and so you're good to go when you first arrive at the campsite and that's okey if you're just spending a day or two (depends on your battery bank) but after that you'll need those panels pointing at the sun.