Hitches/Tow Packages - installation question

Did most of you purchase your TV with the hitch (and all required components) installed at the time of purchase? Do you feel you got a good deal going that route - or perhaps you purchased all parts at a place like eTrailer and then paid for labor to have it installed? Being the frugal person I am (but also want it done safely), I wonder how much of a mark-up the car dealers are putting on them. I hesitate to go to a place like U-Haul (not sure they really understand about brake controllers, etc.). Is that thought unwarranted? While doing a quick look at the Toyota site to "build your truck", I added the "towing package" but that came in at about $3,000 which I really don't think it cost that much. Not that I'll order a new truck - just was looking. I know everyone will have paid various prices but wanted your opinion on this subject. Thanks.
Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Michele, the Toyota tow package I saw on a Tacoma included not only the receiver and 7-pun plug, it also included a transmission cooler .... and something else (I forget what the 2nd part was) to keep the engine components cool during heavy towing. Look around Tuscon for a truck/van accessory place that installs the receiver, charging wire, etc. if you choose not to get the towing package on a new tow vehicle.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • IACamperIACamper Member Posts: 109
    When I worked with my local Subaru dealer, they suggested a local hitch company, saying it was better equipment for a little less money. They took it over and had it installed before I picked up the car. At the time, I was T@B-less, so I had no wiring except the standard 4-pin that was already on the Outback, but I'm sure they would have taken care of that also. Instead, I had it done, and redone by UHaul. This morning the hitch company rewired it for me, because it's never been right.
    Kristi Des Moines, IA 2008 T@B L
  • mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
    Verna - thanks for the idea to look into a truck accessory place - although I do want a transmission cooler as well as the 7-pin, etc. Kristi - sounds like in your experience w/U-Haul was what I've heard. I'll look into costs to see if there is any difference using a local hitch company. While looking at TV I've never gotten a clear-cut cost from a dealer. I suppose when I get ready to really buy they'll tell me. I'd like to have a sense of what each component costs so I may look on eTrailer too.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

Allie - That seems more like a reasonable cost (I'd add in a transmission cooler). Thanks for the feedback.

• WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    I had a transmission cooler installed on my Subaru Forester by AAMCO for $235.00. 
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
    I did a search for hitch installation in Tucson and found a few places. One in particular received many outstanding reviews (which I know to not take all reviews to heart). But now I have some business names and will approach them and compare to what the car dealer quotes me (when I make a deal for a TV).

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    When I bought my Jeep, there were two options - factory equiped tow package or dealer installed. The factory option included the transmission cooler and could take a heavier tongue weight and higher tow capacity. I opted for the factory version.
  • OneOleManOneOleMan Member Posts: 10
    When I bought my '14 Outback I went to a fab shop that specializes in building trailers.  They installed a Class III trailer hitch, transmission cooler, the 7-pin and break controller.  Total price, (with sales tax), was just over $1,000.  The Subaru dealer here doesn't do that kind of work and could even tell me what size tranny cooler would fit.
    Pat
    Life is Good
  • davidahrensdavidahrens Member Posts: 5
    My previous TV did not come with a tow package. I installed the hitch, wires, etc. When it came time for a new TV, a tow package was on my list of must haves. Package includes hitch, 4 and 7 wire connector, transmission cooler, heavy duty brakes, large capacity alternator and slightly different gearing. While arguably you don't need all that for a light trIler like the T@B, it's nice to know that the TV will never be the weak link in the chain should I pull something a little heavier.
  • clkellerclkeller Member Posts: 46
    I bought a new van the dealer quoted me 1,500 for the tow package.I then found out that the external transmission cooler on my van is standard. I went with a place called the hitch shop.They did my hitch and 7 prong plug for just under 500.00.Very professional and guaranteed work.
    Thanks everyone - if I were to buy a brand new TV I'd probably get the factory to do it all - but think I'll be getting something 1-2 years old. IF it already has some of the necessary features, that'd be ideal. We might have The Hitch Shop in Tucson (or Phoenix) so I'll give them a call as well as a few others in the vicinity.

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Check to make sure that you do not also need to install a transmission cooler. I did not have a factory tow package. I had the cooler installed shortly after buying my Jeep just because I knew I would need it for mountain driving and for transmission longevity. I installed a hitch that was "plug and play" for my Jeep - meaning I did not have to do any drilling. I had a Uhaul do wiring for lights before I bought my T@b when I hauled a small military utility trailer, and then the dealer wired the charge line for me.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Thanks Jenn - yes, the transmission cooler is on my list of must haves. I've gotten a hold of one hitch shop (and plan on calling a few others) - they do not install the transmission cooler so will see if the dealer or my mechanic can do that (if the vehicle I get doesn't have one already on it).

• mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    In terms of the brake controller, there are two types. 1. Timed 2. Proportional. I recommend spending the few dollars extra to get a good proportional controller. It provides more natural braking and in the event of a quick and hard stop, the proportional controller will apply the trailers brakes sooner and firmer. I did some research and the Tekonsha Prodigy series is the best rated. The top model, P3, has an excellent display and built in diagnostics. Your hitch shop may say it's a bit of overkill for a little trailer like the T@B, but I believe that when it comes to safety, it's money well spent.
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    LadyArtist, I think the Uhaul experience can vary from location to location. I have had them do wiring work and they did a very good job for me.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• TaBFanTaBFan Member Posts: 41
    Mickie, Here is a very good link about Brake Controllers that MAWebb mentioned.
    http://www.etrailer.com/faq-brakecontroller.aspx also info on Manufacturer's vehicle wiring.
    Jerry
    2014 Wrangler Sahara & 99 Jeep 4dr Sport TV. Interests are Photography, fishing & rod building, woodworking, hotrods (73VW rat rod "DasStuka") and Camping. 
    Mawbb - I knew about proportional controllers but did know specific brands. Thanks for passing that along.

Jerry - I'll ck out the link you sent.

Everyone has been so helpful with all the questions I've had. Thank you!

Oops supposed to say I did NOT know abt brands.