Options

Water draining from tank overflow when hooked to city water?

sometimes but not always water pours out of my drainage tube that is the overflow to my tank when I am hooked to city water. Anyone know why this happens?

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited April 2017
    First question would be: Are you using a pressure regulator? Second question: are all your valves for your water system in camping mode, rather than winterize mode? Just curious as those are the only things I can think of that might cause that to happen. Anyone else? Is the water coming out of the overflow for the fresh water tank? I'm referring to the small hole at the top of the fill. 
    I wasn't aware that the two were integrated in any way.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,472
    Are you referring to this?

2015 T@B S

• Options
    Thanks ScottG, that was my question as well.Thanks for the photo for clarification.
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    The water tank fill has another overflow that's routed down below only.  At least my 2014 w/onboard tank does.

The only valve that I can see leaking under city water pressure is the spring loaded main release valve that has the lever, draining when it is sticking up straight only.  Sorry I don't know the exact name of that valve.

If it really is leaking from there, first make sure you're using a 45 PSI water pressure regulator on the water inlet, like Eric mentioned.  I think that spring loaded valve releases pressure if it gets too high.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    That overflow vent hole isn't usually connected on the gravity flows in T@Bs. The overflow for fresh water is usually a tube running underneath. Traditionally, the vent hole is exactly where you pointed it. You can confirm this is the way your camper is configured by opening the access panel in the potty cassette and (with flashlight) look to where the flex hose comes off the gravity flow. If you don't use a pressure regulator on your city water, the water usually squirts out of the safety valve for the Alde (big yellow lever on it next to the Alde under the seat).

Usually if you are on city water and water is coming out of the fresh water tank gravity flow, that means the check valve is not working or stuck that prevents back flow when hooked up to city water. I'm not sure where that would be on your 16 MaxS. It's usually near the pump, in the pump filter screen area or inside the city water connection. 

If no one else knows where the check valve is, it might be best to call Ed K. I'm not sure your dealer would know either. Each camper on a dealer's lot is different. I just know the check valve exists and sometimes gets stuck with sand or debris, especially if you don't use a seasonal water filter, but sometimes pvc shavings can get it stuck. You might be able to try and blow out the debris with compressed air (under 50 psi).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,472
    Hopefully the OP will reply with information about what model/year they have, and where exactly the water is coming from. With so many variables, it's a hard question to answer specifically.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited April 2017
    ScottG, Makes 'ya wonder if they're plugging the leak with their finger like the Little Dutch Boy. :s   :o Would be nice to get the particulars so we could help them out though.  ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    MegaMega Member Posts: 69
    I noticed water coming out bottom of trailer when on city connection before using regulator. Once I put regulator on so pressure was lowerered no more overflow.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited August 2017
    Mega said:
    I noticed water coming out bottom of trailer when on city connection before using regulator. Once I put regulator on so pressure was lowerered no more overflow.
    I experienced a similar event and the trailer valve is just doing it's job of releasing excess pressure to the system.  Once the pressure reducing valve is installed at the water source this does eliminate the issue as noted.  Am glad things worked out for you!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ