Long. trips

clkellerclkeller Member Posts: 46
I plan on traveling 10 thousand klms with my t@b next summer .I have never taken my trailer on a trip this far.Has any one else and how was it to haul that far any problems or concerns

Comments

• mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I traveled 10K miles this summer with my T@B.  Biggest problem I had was actually with tow car (kept forgetting to close doors and lights inside car draining the car battery).  I eventually picked up 20 foot jumper cables that came in handy, making it possible to link the T@B and car battery directly.  (I finally wised up and turned off the interior lights).  

The T@B had no problems throughout the trip...I had no issues the entire two months.  Grease the joints before you leave and check your spare (didn't need  the spare on this trip but did have a flat on the T@B another time).  I added a second battery (and solar) a while ago and with 200 amps of storage I never ran into battery capacity problems the entire trip (boon docked for about half the time).  One fuse blew so make sure you have a full set of fuses.

The tow vehicle was a bit small (Forester), so would have benefited from a mountain tuneup, but I wasn't in any hurry to get places so it worked out fine.    Sandstorms in Utah wrought hell on the visor, but once I worked out a new tiedown system for the visor, it performed fine.  

I did bring along an additional portable stove that I used frequently....it increased the area that I could use for living and this came in handy to expand my footprint of space while camping.  Also brought basic tools (screwdrivers, wrenches, commander strips, cabinet screws  and duck tape)  that came in handy a couple of times.   But the T@B (an '06) performed great.

Plan your stops to avoid long individual segments and everything should be fine.   I thoroughly enjoyed the trip.   
  • clkellerclkeller Member Posts: 46
    Thank you for the information it will help me alot
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389

I drove 5,000+ miles with my T@b this summer I had electrical issues with the T@b, but it was not related to the trip - it was a defect from the factory. My TV got warmish (radiator) towing and driving for long days on the 100+ degree (F) days in the summer in plains, but I simply had to turn off the A/C for a few minutes to give it a chance to cool down.

I also brought a toolbox and extra fuses. I didn't need them, but had them in case I did.

Mash2 - when you say grease the joints - to which ones are you referring?

One last thing, the T@b owner manual recommends packing the bearings and inspecting every 6,000 miles. If you are not comfortable doing that yourself, you could schedule it at a nearby Camping World or RV dealer ahead of time.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    If you know of a utility/cargo dealer, sometimes their rates are less expensive for packing the wheel bearings. I was quoted 1/2 of what the local RV dealership charges. This trailer company is the one who replaced my bent axle (due to my near miss accident returning from Tearstock).
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Verna, you are correct, and often you can get in quicker. I paid about half of CW charges to have my bearings packed and inspected on my kittle military utility trailer in 2013.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014