Options

Blown Subaru Transmission

Hans111Hans111 Member Posts: 47
We've towed our T@B with a 2012 3.6 Subaru Outback for two years, mostly in the mountainless midwest. I wouldn't call the Outback overpowered for the task but it's been a serviceable TV that didn't seem to strain and never overheated. This week, on our first trip of the season (on flat-as-a-pancake I-29, no less), our transmission went out soon after we started. 
We've been loyal to Subaru for many years and have never had any issue beyond routine maintenance so this surprised us, especially in a car with about 50k miles. Lots of people tow with 3.6 Outbacks--has anyone blown their transmission or is it a fluke?  
And the big question: once the transmission is replaced, do we continue to tow with the Outback or is it prudent to trade for a TV with a little more juice?
Thanks, forum!
Doug
Des Moines Iowa
2016 S Max Sofitel

Comments

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    We traded our 2015 Outback for a 2015 Toyota Highlander v6 because we had read enough on transmissions taking a beating if they tow too much too long. Also the Subaru max tongue weight was 150pounds if I remember correctly(could be wrong, could be 200), so even empty and drained it would be pushing the limits. Since you asked, my vote is to trade up to a v6 and travel safely. Sorry this happened to you!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Doug, there are so many discussions on this forum about the smaller cars towing T@B's. It's not a question of whether they can tow a T@B, but whether it is wise to tow it. Sure you can start towing, but can you stop, are you harming your tow vehicle? Take some time, search for Subaru Outback here on the forum and see what those who know more than I say. 

And, yes, I'm really sorry that your 50,000 mile car had transmission trouble. That is far too soon.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    fiddlefootfiddlefoot Member Posts: 62
    My husband has driven a Subaru for at least 18 years. 2 Outbacks and then 2 Foresters.  We never thought he'd have anything else.  The last Forester was a 2013 with a Boxter engine and a manual transmission.  3 bearings went bad in the cone, there is a lot about this on the web.  Subaru replaces the entire transmission.  We had a local (non-dealer) replace the bearings, which did not require pulling the transmission.  There is a problem with manual transmissions.

We do not tow with this vehicle.  In the meantime we found that the engine was using oil.  The dealer had always changed the oil every 5000 miles, even though the recommendation is 10000.  It is of note that if the dealer always changes the oil and the owner does not check the oil, no one does. There is a documented problem with burning oil as well. At any rate my husband is now driving a Toyota.  We are so disappointed in Subaru service, in particular the service department's lack of expertise, we are not likely to buy another Subaru.
    Denise, Rea and Ruby
    2016 CS S, 2008 Toyota Tacoma
    Somerset, VA

• Options
    Rolltide82Rolltide82 Member Posts: 89
    Did you tow with overdrive off?  External transmission cooler?  Scanguage makes a device that can monitor trans temps....Very import when towing.  Easy to burn trans fluid.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    @Hans111sorry to hear about your woes!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726

We traded our 2015 Outback for a 2015 Toyota Highlander v6 because we had read enough on transmissions taking a beating if they tow too much too long. Also the Subaru max tongue weight was 150pounds if I remember correctly(could be wrong, could be 200), so even empty and drained it would be pushing the limits. Since you asked, my vote is to trade up to a v6 and travel safely. Sorry this happened to you!

Doug's Outback is the 6 cylinder version,  so horsepower is not the issue.  I agree that the Highlander is probably a better tow vehicle though,  higher tongue limit and GVWR, probably a better stronger transmission as well.

I'm curious to see how these heavier car based unibody  SUV's like the Highlander hold up to towing.  I'm not sure the transmissions are beefed up enough and we've seen the pictures of the Ford Escape hitch failure since there was no frame to bolt to.  Very few truck frame SUV's to choose from these days.  Might consider a 4Runner before they disappear.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    NewfisherNewfisher Member Posts: 105

Working in the Automotive industry for 40 years I can say that adding an additional AIR/OIL hayden style trans cooler to the front is MANDATORY if towing. Servicing the transmission and differential fluids every 15k for tow vehicles is recommended by most manufacturers.

Off topic: Brake fluid draws moisture. Companies that bottle it say to replace it in a vehicle every 3-4 years, do we?

• Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 507
    Its not for most folks but a standard transmission runs MUCH cooler & requires no front transmission cooler. My 18 year old Jeep Wrangler has pulled off 18 wheeler trucks to get them started with two 28 foot trailers hooked to them. It was the backup when my big truck was down for repair. When I changed the clutch last year it still had some clutch left! A`Jeep has the only flywheel with a covexed face on it that I know of, not flat like most flywheels. It has towed all kinds of things & now tows the T@B. Your millage may very!   Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    50k miles??? That's a transmission defect.  It would've happened anyway, perhaps at 75k miles if you never towed with it.

Those Jatco automatics found in older Subarus and still in the 6 cylinder models are TOUGH cookies.  You'll get a dash alarm if the temp gets high enough to cause any damage.

As for manual transmissions, believe me you can overheat them too!  I almost cooked my Jettas when towing it at 65 up a 6% grade for 10 miles.  It has plenty of power to keep the speed, but when the engine reached 230F at the pass summit (just beginning to move the needle past middle, temp reported by ScanGauge) I figured it probably wasn't the smartest thing I ever did.  On the next routine transmission oil change, the oil sample report was cooked oil and a LOT of iron in it.  It survived, but towing duties are since handed over to the SUV.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    The new H6's have the CVT.  Are you saying those are tough wizard1880?  I've been wondering if CVTs are ok for towing.  Since they are in use for fuel savings I've assumed they aren't.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I've hauled 3 Little Guys and now a T@B over the course of nearly 8 years and have replaced a transmission and had the new one start slipping after hauling with a Monte Carlo early on knowing full well that the load capability for the smaller trailers was borderline at best.  

IMHO you are asking for trouble hauling a T@B with vehicles that are borderline (e.g., load rating that includes trailer, gear, vehicle occupants, etc.) as irregardless of the fact you can get the trailer rolling down the highway, things do heat up over time, heat takes a toll on materials and components, oil breaks down and you end up being stranded in remote areas and it costs a lot of money.  This is why I purchased my Silverado as it handles the load easily, it came with a tow package and can handle the mountain grades with ease.  

The T@B units are not aerodynamic and they do create drag, which creates pressure and obviously heat things up while traveling.  I'm not one to roll the dice and believe that anything you tow behind any vehicle should be towed with a unit that meets or exceeds the load being towed.  Just my opinion as I've towed many large loads (e g, poles, transformers, large padmount transformers, large digging/trenching/pole setting units, swamp vehicles, etc.) and equipment having spent 40 years in the utility industry here in Michigan and have seen many events/accidents happen and know that a load will easily push a vehicle down the road too when trying to brake and result in some catastrophic events.   Things change suddenly and accidents/events happen during inclement weather conditions, poor visibility, slippery/wet roads, when people suddenly turn in front of you, when they are texting & driving, when a tire blows, etc. and these trailers must be controlled.  

You get my drift!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Ditto what M_Mike said..plus his Silverado is an awesome looking TV!! I'm glad it's still doing well for you. I remember when you got it!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Absolutely agree with @Michigan_Mike. I've always wondered why folks even want to attempt to tow with a vehicle that is at best "border line" to do so. I would much rather have something that I am confident will handle the load being towed, but will perform well under extenuating circumstances (ie: bad drivers, unexpected animals, steep terrain, and inclement weather). I was taught this by my Grandfather who drove doubles, and back in the day, triples from Washington to California for (then) Standard Oil. He told me it is always better practice to be over cautious, than under cautious.
    @Hans111, I am sorry to hear about your Subaru. I'd have to agree 50,000 miles seems like a warranty issue unless it was absolutely abused on a regular basis. Good luck with your decision for either replacing the trans., or a new tow vehicle. Personally, I'd go with something with a higher tow rating capacity, but that's just my humble opinion. 
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    TrailpixieTrailpixie Member Posts: 161
    I think we have a tendency to overbuild things.  Can a Subaru safely tow a T@B? Yes...if you drive safely and reasonably (this can be said of any TV).

Will your Subaru tow for hundreds of thousands of miles without repair. No! definitely not.  

You can buy a large pickup truck for $5,000 more. Then you can pay the gas and insurance of owning that pickup truck. 
    --or--
    You can use the Subie and after five years you can replace the trans for $1500 or $2500.

With all that said, the OP needing to replace the trans after 50K is a bit too soon. Stuff happens.
  • Options

ericnliz said:

Absolutely agree with @Michigan_Mike. I've always wondered why folks even want to attempt to tow with a vehicle that is at best "border line" to do so. I would much rather have something that I am confident will handle the load being towed, but will perform well under extenuating circumstances (ie: bad drivers, unexpected animals, steep terrain, and inclement weather)........[RK edited to add: possible pranksters putting things like sails on the top of the TV]

:innocent:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    OmahaOmaha Member Posts: 5
    Hi, just traded a 2015 Outback for a 2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E. What a difference. 280 HP and tow package standard. Loved the OB but new TV is outstanding. Gas mileage better as hoped. Old saying... "buy your last TV first" saves a ton of money.
  • Options
    NewfisherNewfisher Member Posts: 105

.....and the old saying " you have to pay to play".

• Options
    edited April 2017
    A Subaru with the H6 is more than adequate for the job and is nowhere near borderline, sorry I don't agree.

Every company produces a bad apple from time to time, even Lexus and Toyota.

Last I heard was Subaru kept the geared transmission for the H6 exclusively and equipped all other models with the CVTs.  Perhaps that's changed now?
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options

A Subaru with the H6 is more than adequate for the job and is nowhere near borderline, sorry I don't agree.

Every company produces a bad apple from time to time, even Lexus and Toyota.

Last I heard was Subaru kept the geared transmission for the H6 exclusively and equipped all other models with the CVTs.  Perhaps that's changed now?

Agree the H6 isn't borderline,  but you do have to expect accelerated wear compared to towing with a truck.  I think they went to the CVT in the H6 with the current generation.  Haven't been paying too close of attention as our 2001 Outback only has 210,000 miles and everything works as new,  so no new car in the plans right now.  It still has the coldest AC I've ever had in a car, and it's never been recharged. :)

• Options
    TrailpixieTrailpixie Member Posts: 161
    I was talking to a service guy at Subaru and he told me that Subaru was going to stop selling the H6 and replace it with a turbo instead. That is too bad. an H6 is probably a better towing choice than a turbo 4.  With that said, I have towed with my forester turbo with no problems.
  • Options
    I was excited when Subaru was planning to sell their diesel in America, in fact they created a website boxerdiesel.com to promote it.  Unfortunately it went the way of Mazda, Honda and Toyota, all who promised diesel in America then abandoned the idea later.  We now know why of course, with VW cheating on their emissions tests and nobody could get them to pass certification.

Anyway, I'm also glad Subaru postponed their plans, because the first couple years models sold in Europe and Australia had problems with the crankshaft cracking and splitting at low mileages.  I think they've since fixed this now, and with the CAFE standards coming quickly, you'll be seeing a lot more diesels on the road.

Mazda is releasing their diesel CX5 later this year, for one. 
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    Hans111Hans111 Member Posts: 47
    An update on our 2012 Subaru Outback 3.6 with a blown transmission...
    The Subaru dealer has had the car going on four weeks and still can't get it to work after two new transmissions. Their technicians are troubleshooting with Subaru engineers but no luck yet.
    The transmission trouble may be a fluke--longtime Subaru fans here--but we've already traded for a TV with more power. I'll miss the Outback, though.

Doug
    Des Moines Iowa
    2016 S Max Sofitel
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    @Hans111 we had two Outbacks, traded one for a 6cyl Highlander, so we can still enjoy the Subaru. Sorry you are having so much trouble!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    ruralgoddessruralgoddess Member Posts: 8

I have a v6 4runner....it is rated for 5000# and has a cpmplete towing package. Also it's built on a truck chassis ... I considered the Highlander but decided the 4runner
  • Options
    Wow! Not working after 2 other transmissions put in?? I bet it's ticking off the engineers. I wonder if they'll ever get an answer?
  • Options
    TTTabTTTab Member Posts: 100
    @wizard, I turned in my 2010 VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI in March because of the recall.  They were offering so much for it I had to take advantage of that.  However I loved that car more than anything else I have ever driven.  It was fun to drive and comfortable and I hardly ever had to stop for fuel!  Never towed with it but would buy another one in a heartbeat if I could trust them!

2015 T@B M@x S silver and white
    tv 2010 Lexus RX350 Matador red  
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,676
    They will have to take my Touareg TDI out of my cold, dead hands.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    pthomas745 no one is taking anything, it's up to you to give it back, but if you keep it you may not like it anymore after the emission "fix"
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,676
    I understand, Weber3.  I've read all the stuff on the fixes, and on the 2014 Touareg TDI the fix seems to be just a change on the engine programming.  The settlement says they need to do it on time, without affecting the car’s fuel economy,
    horsepower or torque. Owners who have had the "fix" don't seem to have many complaints.

http://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-tdi-owners-seem-mostly-happy-about-their-die-1791432942

So, I'm hoping things will work out. 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Yep, if you have the 3.0 TDI CNRB engine (2013+) with 240hp / 406 Torque, all that's needed is a flash.  It's the older CATA engines (2008-2012, 215 HP), they're not going to fix.

The fix isn't ready for us (V6 TDI) yet.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA