Options

Dogs and Screen doors.

My wife and I will soon be receiving our T@B Outback and are really looking forward to getting on the road with our VERY rambunctious, 50 pound Standard Poodle ( See avatar).  It has occurred to me that the screen door may not be able to be used until this guy settles down in a year or two (he is only 9 months). I suspect the very active, jumpy dog will have this screen destroyed in the first week.  Has anyone designed anything creative that will keep dogs away from the fragile screens.  I can only think of some ugly barricade of wood half way up the door or putting him on such a short leash that he cannot reach the door.  What have you come up with?   Perhaps plexiglass?
2017 White with Black T@B Outb@ck, Max S ( rec'd on May 2nd, 2017)
TV is a 2017 White Honda Ridgeline, Detroit Auto Show North American Truck of the Year  Love it. 

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I've thought of this often as a dog owner and since you are limited in a T@B space wise you are going to be challenged.  You might be right, the screen door might need to be removed if your dog is full of p & vinegar.  Something that comes to mind though are the mesh style screen that come together with magnets as a means of providing a little ventilation and protection from bugs, mosquitoes, etc.  At least the dog could go through it and I believe that these were used prior to the factory using the screen doors. 

I'm not sure a doggie gate would work but adapting something like that might be an alternative.  And as noted, since the T@B has limited space I think you are going to have your hands full.  You might need to take your animal out for long walks and get him tired or make time to practice obedience with him in the trailer so that he gets the idea that its home and that he must behave when inside with his masters.  

Good luck!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited April 2017
    Don't forget that your windows are also points of vulnerability for a dog.

Having recently introduced a little dog (Shih Tzu) to the T2b within the last 2 years, I think one of the biggest mistakes you can make is introducing a dog to the T@b too quickly and without enough boundaries.

I agree with Mike. Here are a few suggestions:

1. Introduce the dog slowly to the T@b - let the poodle go in by him/herself and reward them for each little step towards going inside - lure them with treats and give them lots of praise. Start by putting a treat on the step and work your way inside. When he or she goes inside, even for a second, heap praise on him or her. Build up length of time gradually. If the dog becomes overwhelmed, go back to the last place you were successful and build slowly.

2. Spend time in the T@b where you play tug of war or give them special treats, like a Kong filled with treats or treats to connect the T@b with positive experiences. My dog expects extra walks when we camp, so he is excited to go. The T@b is a comforting place when we travel. I have a hard time getting him to eat or drink outdoors but he does great when we stop for lunch inside of the T@b.

3. Don't leave your dog unattended or uncrated in the T@b until you are confident that they will not bark incessantly while you are gone or destroy the T@b from separation anxiety. An excessively barking dog is inconsiderate to those around you. Do trails where you drive away from your site and park and then walk close enough to listen to see if your dog is quiet.

4. There is no room in the T@b to exercise - get your dog out to exercise often and on a schedule to help him or her settle.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I have seen some people use the aluminum screen door protectors that you can buy at hardware storms. According to a search on FB, there is a plastic screen door protector, but I would think a child gate like I'm using for a foster dog would work well in a T@B.   (It wouldn't stop this little 6 lb monster--she climbs over them!). You could also use lattice to make a home made protector. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Bill_CochraneBill_Cochrane Member Posts: 103
    Thanks Mike,  The mesh/magnet is a good idea and the well wish of, "Good Luck" is welcomed.  This is our third Standard and he is indeed full of P&V.  :)
    2017 White with Black T@B Outb@ck, Max S ( rec'd on May 2nd, 2017)
    TV is a 2017 White Honda Ridgeline, Detroit Auto Show North American Truck of the Year  Love it.