Options

Composting Toilet

I've read on this forum and a few Facebook groups for T@Bs that a few people have been interested in removing the standard flush toilet in the wet bath of their T@B, but I've yet to find someone who has done it and written about it. I've heard rumors and tales that someone out there has done this. I'd love to hear from anyone who has successfully or unsuccessfully attempted it. I have personally researched both the Nature's Head and C-Head compost toilet, and am leaning towards the C-Head due to the fact it is more affordable, they claim to not require venting, and they sell different sizes of the unit. Also, the unit itself seems smaller than a Nature's Head but I could be mistaken as I've not seen either in person. I would love to hear from anyone out there and better yet....SEE PICTURES of your modification if you've done this. Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Can't help you with if anyone has converted the one in a T@B, but here is a really good video review on them, even though it sounds like you have been researching them already:

https://youtu.be/vM71d8wMuUU

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    From what I understand, composting toilets are a wee (pun) higher than the cassette potty. Given the curve of the T@B bath, you best not be very tall. There's also the matter of the black tank. Are you going to leave it in? Will it impede the installation of the composting potty? Most vents for potties go out the roof, but (I recently learned) the T@B's vent out the side and is tied in with the gray water tank vent. Does the composting potty need a vent? I think the composting potty generates heat, will there be enough shielding to the sides and back of the bath?

Just some thoughts. You've probably already researched all of this.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    edited April 2017
    After watching the video you could not pay me to have a composting toilet, and I didn't even watch the whole thing. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Gone with the Wynns did a pretty informative video on these. I'm with Dale on this one.  =)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    alchemistalchemist Member Posts: 39
    The C-Head has a mod where you can divert the urine to the black water tank. It will take a lot longer to fill, obviously. Or, I've read where you can connect the black water and gray water tanks, thus doubling your gray water capacity.

The C-Head also has 2 heights, which is why i'm mostly attracted to their design.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Video #2 - shows why I like it over the Nature's Head...it's cheaper too!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjxV_079CVc
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited April 2017
    After watching the video you could not pay me to have a composting toilet, and I didn't even watch the whole thing. 

It is worth watching the entire FitRV video for the educational value alone. I had no idea all the issues a composting toilet entails. Now I know better. ;)
    If anything you can watch the video and start counting strikes. I bet most of us reach "Strike 3!!!" well before the video ends.
    One major hurdle is the fact you don't want a composting toilet installed in a wet bath. That defeats moisture management plus the seat and ventilation are not designed for that environment.
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    You may be right TabberJohn, but just an FYI, I've researched both the C-Head and Nature's Head and both claim they are capable of going into a wetbath with minor modifications. 
  • Options
    What exactly would be the benefit?
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Someone with tremendous gag reflex not having to dump the blackwater tank. That's about it. This may not be a big deal to some people. But I personally am what is known as a "super taster" which means I have very strong sense of smell...I smell things others cannot or hours/days before others can. This is great for being an awesome cook...not so great for crazy gross smells. I have an uncontrollable gag reflex. I'm trying to circumvent that.
  • Options
    Does the waste in a CP toilet just disappear?
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @alchemist - you'd be a great beer judge! And wine judge of course. If you indulge that is.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Mods required for a wetbath location are likely 1) replace or seal the seat cover so water/moisture cannot intrude when shower is used, plus 2) route ventilation intake from outside the wetbath (perhaps from the floor) with output to the black tank vent.
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    The CP toilets I've seen are all pretty tall. Will that be a problem?
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    edited April 2017

@alchemist -- Not sure about the cost difference but have you considered the Laveo option? http://www.dry-flush.com/
    Has the same seat cover issue (not designed as shower bench with extended cover), but it should completely resolve the odor issue you describe. Waste is sealed after every use and you are not exposed when emptying.
    Downsides are it's not biodegradable, requires occasional battery charging, and height may be a problem (18"H x 20"D x 16"W).
    However, you won't have to deal with any of the pitfalls of compost toilet operation and procedures. No venting is required either.

Most reviewers like it but some are very unhappy:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Laveo-Dry-Flush-Chemical-Free-Odorless-Portable-Lightweight-Electric-Waterless-Toilet-DF1045/205205828

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,500
    edited April 2017
    @alchemist my boss has a Composting toilet in their lake cabin. Its a little place with no water or sewer service. They haul water from home each time they visit. Works for them.

2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    For me it doesn't get much easier than placing a hose in a drain and pulling a handle. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    OK, the original poster has given their reasons for wanting the composting toilet. It is a valid reason for them. I'll continue to remove comments that make fun of the reason they need to have a composting toilet or those that make fun of their idea. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna thanks for keeping us on message.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @HR_Taly, Couldn't have said it better! Different strokes for different folks, and be respectful, and mindful of the fact that their needs, or wants won't always coincide with yours. :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    @HR_Taly, like I said, you've probably researched the heck out of this... those were just questions I thought would be neat to know the answers for if someone did it.  I didn't even know what they were until I saw one being repaired on one of the boats seen on "Deadliest Catch". My information is limited and just would like more (a cat curiosity thing! :) ) Looking forward to your posts on this! 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    @Ratkity no problem at all! I just wanted to say I hadn't gone into the details because the original poster wanted to know from people who had actually install one in a T@B which I haven't (yet!) although all the measurements, specs and details are ironed out.. I guess we hijacked their post plenty already and I was feeling guilty!  =)

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

• Options
    Oh shoot! Sorry @alchemist, what @HR_Taly said. D'oh.. I thought I scrolled up enough to see the OP's nick. Apologies! :heart:
  • Options
    The C-Head composting toilet wouldn't fit height-wise with the "shelf" or whatever that is that the toilet sits on. The toilet seat would be too high. I am DIY compromised so removing that shelf/ledge the toilet sits on and putting a flat floor in the shower area so the composting toilet could sit there and be used without issue for a short person like me...is not possible. So, unfortunately I am having to stick with the black tank. Yuck. I haven't camped yet. This weekend will be my first time out. Not looking forward to dealing with aspect of it. But I guess I got no choice. ;)
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    alchemist said:
    So, unfortunately I am having to stick with the black tank. Yuck. I haven't camped yet. This weekend will be my first time out. Not looking forward to dealing with aspect of it. But I guess I got no choice. ;)
    Alchemist, you do not have to use the toilet for #2. We never have and never will. We use the campground facilities, and keep a double doodie bag in the T@B bathroom "just in case." If you use the T@B toilet only for liquids and put a deodorizing product in there, dumping isn't bad at all. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    100% fully agree with Photomom!
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    True. But I know I'll need to buck up and do it sometimes. I'm going out for 3+ months and hope to boondock or at least go out to places without many amenities. I need to just learn how to do this without freaking out so bad. But I keep running across the horror stories (exploding lines in the face at the dump, etc. :o  ) and all I can see is me in a full-on hazmat suit and gas mask. LOL

• Options
    Ratkity said:
    Oh shoot! Sorry @alchemist, what @HR_Taly said. D'oh.. I thought I scrolled up enough to see the OP's nick. Apologies! :heart:
    No problems at all. But please come back here and post links to your airhead setup when you get it installed. I am very curious. Maybe one day if I get a new T@B, I'll have them modify the bathroom and not even put the toilet (or ledge) in so I can install a composting toilet. A girl can dream. Right? LOL