Anyone else had this happen?

Yesterday after replacing my upper door hinges above the sink/stove area ( yep, no more smashed knuckles, or head skids, they stay open now! ), I turned around, and noticed the trim around the porthole window on the inside was loose. Seems it is attached by rivets going in through the trim to the door skin, and two of them have pulled loose from the skin itself. Any one else? Taking it in next week for another warranty issue, and will have it checked out/repaired at the same time. Will report back with results.
2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
Spokane, Wa.
Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    That's a new one on me, Eric. Tell us what you find, please. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Will do @Verna. Been in & out of the door several times in the last few days, and just noticed it. Must have just happened yesterday.
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I have have a rivet gun. You might have to carefully drill out the current rivets and put bigger ones in. Best call nuCamp to verify that's a viable fix!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    Dealer first because Eric is under warranty. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Ditto what V said!!! Dealer first. THEN Ohio, then DIY.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    edited April 2017
    That's why we love 'ya @Ratkity! ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

@Verna , and our most helpful @Ratkity , After a little further investigation of the trim on the window, I noticed there was already more than one empty rivet hole under the trim ( in the two visible spots) where it may have come loose before, or during installation.....hmmm...me thinks the trim should probably come all the way off & re-positioned to a spot for some fresh rivet holes! I'll let 'ya know what the warranty guy at the dealer has to say. I'm hoping for a permanent fix, that's for sure.
    Spokane, Wa.

When all else fails... GORILLA GLUE! Or Epoxy or something that can hold an airliner to a construction hat you're wearing.. you know... when in doubt duct tape or glue. :lol:

@Ratkity, took me two days to get a piece of trim off my finger with my last go- round of Gorilla Glue. I'm stickin' ( pun intended ) to leavin' this one to the professionals! 
    Spokane, Wa.

• DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409

ericnliz said:

Yesterday after replacing my upper door hinges above the sink/stove area ( yep, no more smashed knuckles, or head skids, they stay open now! ), I turned around, and noticed the trim around the porthole window on the inside was loose. Seems it is attached by rivets going in through the trim to the door skin, and two of them have pulled loose from the skin itself. Any one else? Taking it in next week for another warranty issue, and will have it checked out/repaired at the same time. Will report back with results.

While you are out at RnR allow an extra hour and stop by. I will do the dump valve mod for you. I have all the parts on hand. Just give me a day and time.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • SubismSubism Member Posts: 38
    Yes, happened to me. Mine is held on with plastic pieces that push through the door panel and hold it in place. I had some nylon screws and was able to fix it that way, as the panel is thick enough that I could get a couple of threads in it. Christmas tree bolts would be a better option, but the ones I had were large and dark colored. I expect they can be found in white to match the door panel and trim ring.
    Marc and Angie in Burlington, NC. 2018 Ford F150 FX4 3.5L Ecoboost, 2016 320 S Max
    Christmas tree bolts?
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • SubismSubism Member Posts: 38
    They are used primarilly in automotive to hold trim together.  Lots of different types, but many can be found a Lowes/Home Depot. One example below:

https://www.belmetric.com/common-christmas-tree-retainers-c-12_178/a141-plastic-retainer-p-785.html?zenid=gbi8k049grhqu7freu7jap06s6

Marc and Angie in Burlington, NC. 2018 Ford F150 FX4 3.5L Ecoboost, 2016 320 S Max
    edited April 2017

Subism said:

They are used primarilly in automotive to hold trim together.  Lots of different types, but many can be found a Lowes/Home Depot. One example below:

https://www.belmetric.com/common-christmas-tree-retainers-c-12_178/a141-plastic-retainer-p-785.html?zenid=gbi8k049grhqu7freu7jap06s6

Learn something everyday. Now I understand the reference to Christmas tree
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378

OK. I learned something today. Can I go home? :)

I never knew what those things were called.

Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
    Ok, The window trim issue was too short of rivets being used to totally penetrate both the trim inside, and the trailer door skin. All four were replaced by the dealer, and I now have a happy porthole window again! :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Eric, was that window on the door or in the bathroom?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    The door entering the trailer porthole window. Unless you prefer to crawl through the bathroom window, that's the main entrance!  =) ( that I gotta see!)  :o
    Spokane, Wa.

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861

ericnliz said:

The door entering the trailer porthole window. Unless you prefer to crawl through the bathroom window, that's the main entrance!  =) ( that I gotta see!)  :o

If I'm not mistaken we did have a trailer owner who was locked inside his trailer, couldn't get out and had to use his cellphone to message the forum for tips as to how he could get out without destroying his trailer.  That'd be my luck!  smilie
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
    @Michigan_Mike, worse would be your iPhone in the picnic table outside playing music on the Bluetooth speaker, with you stuck inside ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    That wouldn't be a pretty sight, me "trying" to climb out the side window!   :o
    @Michigan_Mike, =) Would be free entertainment though! =)
    Which brings up a point I shared with @Homebodyatheart, and @Dalehelman when we were sharing mods ( Dale won hands down BTW ). Check the screws on both the door, and trailer side of the door latch, I tightened mine the other day about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn each. If they work their way out, it causes the door to not be able to open.  ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

Good point and I've done that.  It was amazing how loose the screws were and how much I was able to tighten them up.  I've got them tightened down well now and it's a good idea to check them from time to time.  
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    Hey @ericnliz! I thought my table top mod was pretty darn nice! @Dalehelman just has a bazillion more mods than the rest of us put together. And he's really good at them!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    @Homebodyatheart, I'm really not trying to take away from your cool tabletop at all. I loved it. Besides, I think @Dalehelman has had just a LITTLE more time to accomplish all his mods than ALL of us put together. The good part is that it gives the rest of us pretty darn good "food for thought" don't 'ya think? ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @ericnliz agreed! He has a two year jump on me, one on you, and he's so good at it all! I love how each of us has gifts and talents we bring to the group, to this forum, too. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    @Homebodyatheart, The sharing part makes it all the better!!!!! :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• greggillgreggill Member Posts: 45
    Did have this happen to me. Grabbed the port hole to pull the door shut and broke a couple of the rivets loose. Had the trailer at the factory for another warranty repair and they​ fixed it for me no charge.
    @greggill, it's SuperT@BM@N! About to pop rivets in a T@B door with one pull... who knows what he'll pull off next? (could be more camping.. stories for the campfire... you know, what is said around the campfire, stays around the campfire!)
  • JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    Just wanted to throw out a caution flag - all this talk about loose screws had me tightening all the screws that hold my trim on.  Today was a particularly warm day.  I was hearing a lot crackling and popping.  After living so many years in the desert, I should have known better.  That plastic needs flexibility (heat and cold) and if tightened too tight, it will eventually crack.  So out I went to loosen all those screws back up and noticed that hot plastic giving way from the side of the trailer as if to sigh a sigh of relief!  The hard plastic pieces (fresh water fill port, cable cover, etc.) can be tightened snugly, but the plastic trim is relatively thin and needs room to flex.

I am assuming the factory must know this, because all the screws that were supposed to be snug were, in fact, tightened down snug.  The screws holding the trim on all had some "play."

One other thing to mention; I saw somewhere in one of these posts that some people were having some problems with their plastic cracking.  I use a product called Aerospace 303; spray it on all plastic pieces a couple times a year and wipe off.  It will help prevent fading, yellowing, cracking, etc.  It has some very good UV protectors built into the product.  It's expensive, but it works really well.  It was developed by Boeing engineers to help in maintaining their aircraft.

Here's a link that gives a better explanation, but you can get this on Amazon, auto parts stores, etc.

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/303-aerospace-protectant
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed