Options

Clamshell or regular model that is the question

I am interested in buying a T@B trailer but am not sure if I should get the clamshell model or a regular model. I like the clamshell model but am hesitant because I would like the kitchen area to have a cover with screens and be somehow accessable to the side screened in area. Any comments or feedback would be great, thanks

Comments

• Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    There are pros and cons for both options and I think it becomes a matter of personal taste.  I originally favored the side galley, but my wife was strongly in favor of the clamshell's outside galley.  We have the clamshell (surprise!) and are more than happy with it.  My concern was weather impacting the effort to cook outside, her concern was smells and cooking vapors on the inside surfaces.  She argued that we spent 30 years tent camping without indoor cooking.  I do like the outside galley and wouldn't want to change now. I've thought about enclosures for inclement weather as an option to just eating cold cuts or driving to someplace for food if necessary, but it's a rather low priority concern so far. Good luck with your decision (I think you will probably be happy with either option).

Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    scottdickiescottdickie Member Posts: 29
    Wow, similar conversation in my house. What do you mean by side galley? Do you set this up yourself? thanks for your thoughtful input. by the way did you buy the side tent that fits the trailer?
  • Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    That was a typo.  I meant inside galley.  Sorry about that. We haven't found the need for tents, etc. and are still too new to jump on anything until we judge our needs better.  .
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    We were originally going clamshell... ...but once I sat in an S, I was done. The interior seating area/bed6 seemed to be more usable than the front bench in the CS. We can still cook outside to avoid smells (my concern about, say, frying inside) through the use of a portzble grill hooked directly to the front propane tank. The upside for us is the ability to wake up, have eggs and toast, and never have to walk outside. I also wanted a 3 way fridge, for boondocking.

That said, I could enjoy either, truly.

LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    ...and we had the same discussions. Our dealer received 3 new T@G's and about 1 block from their business we pulled off the road to have yet another discussion regarding galley location. We had talked about those issues of odors and heat from cooking indoors. Our adult daughter tends to influence my husband, particularly thinking this Little Guy may someday be theirs. LOL Our decision was based simply on this: we love grilling and sitting outside. I am saving my $ for the nice screened tent to protect me from mosquitos and overflow for guests. Therefore, inside galley for us. Good luck with your decision and thankfully there is no right or wrong answer. My problem is where to set my coffee pot. LOL
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    It is great to get this much feedback and so many good ideas. I have always cooked outside and enjoy it. I like some of the modification or hybrid ideas put forth. There are some good ideas on how to modify trailers including an idea about accessing your coffee pot on YouTube that judymac may find interesting. I to do not see the back bench as a very good use of space. I think a small table would be a good idea, I have seen this in some European models.
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Truly, it's a personal choice.  I have a T@b S Maxx with cooking facilities inside.  I still cook outside a lot.  For me, it is more of an issue of opening up and closing of the clamshell tail. I didn't want to hassle with that.  I also am NOT a morning person.  I want to have my coffee and "wake up" without having to go outside, open the clamshell, and be visible to all camping neighbors.  Again, it's a personal choice.  As someone said, there is no right or wrong.  I am just happy that LG makes a variety of models to fit all of our personalities, and I am happy with my choice.    :x
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    radrenradren Member Posts: 229
    The clamshell model comes with the 2 way fridge and that one doesn't seem to have nearly the problems of the 3 way fridge. 
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    For what it's worth, if you are cooking inside and runt he exhaust fan, there is not really a problem with smells. I have browned ground beef a couple of times with the screen door open and the exhaust fan on and it took the aroma right outside. I probably would not do this in serious bear country, however. On longer trips, I take my Coleman stove/grill combo along as well.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Great responses and I want my T@B now! Getting excited. ScottDickie, do,you have time to be more specific on the coffee issue? We use a Keurig @home as we seldom drink more than 3 cups total. I don't know how many amps a little single serve would pull. I don't think I could use the old campfire pot and make coffee drinkable. Ideas would be appreciated. Perhaps I need to post on another forum.
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Coffee - I just use a teapot and a French Press as I need the caffeine.
  • Options
    taboutabou Member Posts: 28
    We 've been traveling with a Clamshell along the east coast for 30 days .we did love the kitchen outside for the space But we took our meals under the canopy on the door side of the trailer .with 8 x13 " we did have a grand diningroom For the rainy mornings we bring the espresso coffee maker inside . Your all right it's really a personnal choice , for us it's surely a clamshell
  • Options
    There is a gentleman on YouTube that shows some of his modifications. He has 2 videos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzDm5QmSdKo shows the coffee maker sliding shelf. Both are good. No wright or wrong when it comes to T@B, models, some bias maybe. Wish the same rules applied when I was in school. We just use a stove top espresso maker and a stove top milk frother when camping.
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553

Since I have propane, I make my coffee with a little ceramic percolator that I've used for umpteen years when I was tent camping.  I don't think you can buy them anymore.  It's made by Corning Ware and cleans up super bright.  No black residue on the bottom.  I get the pot & coffee all set up the night before, and when I wake up all I have to do is light the stove.  No amps used.  Sweet.   

:D
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    ScottDickie, my husband watched this same video with bedding ideas. Love the modifications but not ready for that, YET

• Options
    MontalaskanMontalaskan Member Posts: 27
    I'll resurrect this because that question is one the wife and I are pondering right now. Initially, she had put her foot down. We were getting the S.

"Must. Have. Kitchen. Inside. (And potty.)"

But then we went and checked out the S on the lot and a couple of CS-S models. For some reason, to me, the CS-S felt roomier on the interior, probably because the bench is lower than the kitchen in the S. Of course, the bed is about 15" less wide, or with the S, could be used more north/south than east/west.

So I was utterly shocked when she said, "I think I like the clamshell better." (Just when I was starting to come to the side of the S. Hilarity ensued. Actually, mostly confusion.

There was a lot of talk about "what about bugs" and "it rains a lot in Alaska" and such. And yet today, she reiterated the clamshell is her favorite.

The way I see it, there are two drawbacks to the clamshell: 1. Smaller bed. 2. Smaller fridge.

The drawbacks of the S for me are: 1. No bench (perfect dog perch/bed.) 2. Felt tighter. 3. Seemingly less storage space (could be just perception)

So we waver on. Or at least I do. Although it seems like it'd be perfect for a web designer to get a CSS.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Going on three days of on/off rain and there are two other T@Bs in the canyon besides me (first T@Bs I've seen anywhere in 3 months on the road). Both are clamshells. Haven't seen them with the kitchen open for the three days and there cars have been gone a lot - presume they're running into town to eat.
    I've run into just enough weather that's I'm glad I bought the Max-S.
    Tonight, 60% chance of rain but I don't care, I've got a nice sundried tomato basil sausage pasta dish ready to go :-)
  • Options
    BgkirkBgkirk Member Posts: 66
    We love our clamshell and outdoor cooking etc.  We would be jealous of PXLated in a rainstorm, particularly if we could smell the pasta dish.  For the rain we tried to maximize the options for cooking inside by removing the clamshell bench and replacing it with a S model counter and sink with the stove and refer removed.  We have a small backpacking propane stove for cooking on the counter inside if need be (with appropriate precautions).  Just another option to make it more/less confusing.  image
    Brian Kirk - 2015 T@Bulous CS-S M@x - Portland Or
  • Options
    OrygunOrygun Member Posts: 17
    I love my clamshell specifically because it feels more like camping to me. I'm not a morning person, but stepping outside into the fresh air, and making the coffee(french press, of course) while listening to a little music and the chirping birds is wonderful. I live in the Pacific NW, and weather doesn't stop me from cooking outside, unless the wind is blowing hard. Also, my dog's bed is the front bench. 
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    edited January 2015
    I switched from a 6x10 Silver Shadow to a T@DA with bathroom and indoor kitchen.  I bought the SS instead of a T@B at the time (2012--before the Clamshell was an option and before the S was an option) because I wanted to be able to cook outside and have it be closer to tent camping without rocks in your back while sleeping.  My son and I spent about 12 weeks on the road that first summer with the SS, so I got a good deal of time in experiencing life without a shower and indoor kitchen.  So much so, that by November I was buying a T@DA and selling the SS.

I love, love, love having the bathroom and the kitchen inside.  I can't imagine going back.  I can still cook outside all I want over a campfire or on a camp stove.  I can also use the campground facilities for the bathroom and shower if I want.  It is so great to be able to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, grab a cup of coffee first thing in the morning and to shower when boondocking, all in the privacy of my trailer.
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    We considered the clamshell as there seemed to be more room inside, but then we thought about wanting to make tea at night and not wanting to have to go outside to do so. If I had known about substituting the bench for the counter setup as per Bgkirk, then it might have been a consideration. I also considered wanting to access the fridge for a cold beverage and again, going outside to do so seemed a bit inconvenient. We have the "S" and are very happy with our decision. In terms of the fridge, a two way as an option would be great. Compressor based fridges are far more efficient than absorption models. Just look up the details on an ARB fridge and you will be impressed. 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options

BGKirk we have a clamshell, but certainly would have loved to have this option!! The counter and storage much better for us.  Can you tell me how you got this? We were not given an option when we purchased. 

the dark side of the T@B Texas White & Black 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r - White & Black 2015 T@B CS-S Maxx
  • Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    Hi, thedarksideoftheTaB,
    We also have custom cabinetry in our Clamshell. We enlarged the Wardrobe and added drawers to the right of it (losing the bench and space above the bench). Basically we just asked if it could be done and were pleased to learn it was possible. It was a bit more expensive and added time to the wait from order to delivery but it was very worth it. The factory is willing to work with you on custom orders!
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    BgkirkBgkirk Member Posts: 66
    thedarksideoftheTab answered your question above.  The factory is fantastic to work with and will try to get you what you want. I have had 4 different RV's over the years from tent trailer, camper, 2-5th wheels and now the T@B.  By far, the T@B is the best built RV I have owned and a great company to work with.

Not sure how close you are to the factory "thedarksideoftheT@B", but it would be possible to have it retrofitted, I think.  I know it would have been better to have the option from the beginning....
    Brian Kirk - 2015 T@Bulous CS-S M@x - Portland Or
  • Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    We bought a 2015 T@B S with all the stuff and if I had it to do over, I would not want the bathroom because it is only suited for a small child in my opinion-but the wife like it and complains about not having a closet.  But in a bind, I will appreciate the bathroom!  We had a Casita a few years ago and nearly froze to death because of the "carpet insulation" which was glued to the walls and that's it!  The T@B is very well insulated and will keep folks warm in the coldest of weather with the aide furnace.  That furnace is highly recommended by not only me but many Tabbers.