Options

Which Television Antenna

newellnewell Member Posts: 182
I've seen photos of T@B trailers set up with pole type masts temporarily mounted with small portable TV antennas attached.  Any advice on which ones work the best?

Earl & Sue | Central NY |
2017 T@B 320S | TV: Chevy Silverado

Comments

• Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Not sure what works, but I bought this one did NOT work for me and I had to return it.  
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378

I've been considering this one. It's a little pricey but gets good reviews and is supposedly Omni directional. I've had moderate success with the flat ones similar to the OPs, but it is somewhat directional. I very much agree that television is line of sight, so it's always going to be hit or miss and putting it on a taller pole COULD help.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CTY6VW0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=ORFK9MJAHRD8&coliid=I1BAC6XOLWN77X

For the most part, we give up and stream to the TV when cellular is available and tell ghost stories when it's not. =)

I am seriously considering the pay-as-you-go satellite system that Verna mentioned. It seems to be the reliable method.

Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Most over-the-air TV antennas pick up best when they are at their highest point. The itty bitty little antenna on the side of the T@B is for the radio. The folks with the masts have the right idea (especially if there's a game on they *HAVE* to see). I've never had much luck with cellular (but my sis has). I gave up and took all my scary movies with me and my Kindle. It's usually a toss up as to which I'm going to do - read a romantic novel out loud and nauseate Harvey, or scare the bejeeszes out of him. Either way, popcorn is gonna be flying around.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    MrAmazonMrAmazon Member Posts: 61
    edited April 2017
    Best antenna money can buy
    2016 T@B silver Sofitel/Outback combo, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport TV, Kernersville N.C.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Ratkity, Poor Harvey.  :s
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770

ericnliz said:

@Ratkity, Poor Harvey.  :s

Don't worry, Harvey gets me back by eating all my doritos in my bed!! For all you newbies, that's Harvey, trying to hide his fat tail in the snack bag!! Caught Red-Pawed!!

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    duckblind123duckblind123 Member Posts: 61
    I purchased this one from Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WW7H9ZI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I bought a collapsible paint stick from lowe's and mounted the antenna. Works in every place we have camped. No need to orient as it is omni-directional.

Marc & Janet
    2016 T@B Max S - 2017 Honda Pilot - Winchester,VA

• Options
    @MrAmazon, Is that a paperclip I see? I use a set of rabbit ears with a coax cable end, works like a champ!
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    MrAmazonMrAmazon Member Posts: 61

ericnliz said:

@MrAmazon, Is that a paperclip I see? I use a set of rabbit ears with a coax cable end, works like a champ!

Yezzziirrrrr.... cheaper, better! 
    2016 T@B silver Sofitel/Outback combo, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport TV, Kernersville N.C.
  • Options
    Atta boy! ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
    Someone on the forum recommended the ClearStream 2. I got it and a telescoping aluminum painter's pole. Easy to clamp on/off. It's worked like a charm (of course depends on how far you're from a signal - but out at Catalina State Park in Tucson which is quite a ways from town, I pulled in numerous channels). They now have the ClearStream 4 but I'm not upgrading as this has served my needs. Will use it at home when I move back to my duplex.
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378

"Someone on the forum recommended the ClearStream 2"

I had the ClearStream 4 in my house before I moved and will be buying the same when I move into my new house. Excellent choice! I was picking up 72 channels at the house, but you have to be very precise in aiming it at the antenna field. I thought about it for the T@B but it's a little wieldy to travel with. I might investigate the 2, but I would definitely like to see if the omnidirectional one works first.

Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    Getting ready for the summer today so I could post some pictures.  I am not really into watching TV so this set up is my compromise between ease and performance.  The higher you can get your antenna the better your reception will be.  A plus to this antenna is that it is omni directional.  This works for me and does not require me to carry much extra.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Yes, but....  @lapowers57, 5'3 1/2" does not go as far as your height!   I need to check your setup out because I like not having an antenna pole. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    Are the feet on the four corners part of the antenna or did you add those? Thanks!
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    edited May 2017
    The antenna is designed for indoor or outdoor use.  It included the mount for a standard antenna pole and the 4 feet for indoor use.  I had an old soft 1 lb scuba weight that I put on top of it for breezy conditions.  I do realize that most people will need a step stool to get it to the top of the camper but luckily I can reach and do not want to carry a pole.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    texasaubiefantexasaubiefan Member Posts: 62
    I can vouch for the Clear Stream.  I use a CS2 at my home since the towers are easily within the range.  Works very well although I did have to add an inline power amplifier to boost the signal to the TVs.  Haven't bothered yet about having a TV connection.  When and if I do (this fall during football season will be the determining factor), I'm leaning heavily towards a Dish TV option.  
    2017 T@B 320-S, Sofitel (M@bel)
    Mabel is my great grandmother that I never knew.  She took her 3 sons (ages 8-2) on an epic adventure from Alabama to Florida in the 1930's in the back of a pick up truck.  I named my female English springer spaniel after my mother.  Might as well go for broke with the brownie points in Heaven!   
    TV: 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew 
    David & Jill, Houston, TX
  • Options
    tjandtabtjandtab Member Posts: 6
    I went with the Dish option just due to the fact I already had it in my home, just had to add one the Wally receiver to my account. Also if you go with the Dish Wally receiver and Tailgater get 50' of good coaxial cable due to always needing a clear south view of sky. There are always trees when camping.
    TJ&T@B
  • Options
    HvtymwiltravelHvtymwiltravel Member Posts: 51

WSKY 50 mile antenna from Amazon &22.79 shipped. Amplifier is included and can be added.
    PVC schedule 20 slotted at the top to hold the antenna, Y shaped wooden painter stir paddles glued to stiffen the antenna (not shown)
    Drain fitting to secure the PVC to the weighted base.
    Base goes in the tow vehicle, flat antenna goes in tow vehicle behind the jump seat, and PVC goes into sewer hose storage area.  I don't use the sewer hose area for hose storage.

2017 T@B 400   TV  Colorado Duramax
  • Options
    @Hvtymwiltravel, First of all, I LIKE your moniker! Great idea for the antenna, and thanks for sharing. Is that a new T@B 400 I see? :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Thank you and yes.  We like it and looking forward to our next trip West in ten days.
  • Options
    @Hvtymwiltravel, How far west, and where are you startin' from?
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Starting from Ohio going to Yellowstone and Glacier and points in between
  • Options
    @Hvtymwiltravel, Sounds like fun. Be safe out there! :)
    Spokane, Wa.