Options

Orientation of T@B....fridge propane

I can't find this via the search bar, although I know it has already been discussed.

I'm planning on camping at the beach soon.  It will be windy, and I remember someone saying not to point the front of the T@B into the wind as it would blow out the propane for the fridge.  Or was it DO point it into the wind for stability and to keep air from coming in the side vent by the door?  I don't remember.  

I think it was @Nomad or @jkjenn who posted their experience with this.  I would be very appreciative if someone would share their experience.  Thanks!
Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    It's tough to know for sure, but it could be either way. Probably easiest to point driver side and rear towards wind. But on super windy days, it would blow out. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I have been through 40 to 65 mph winds in AZ and Texas and my 3-way fridge's propane flame or pilot light has never blown out. I have been hit broadside, from the front and from the rear and (knock on wood) I have never experienced a propane flame blowout. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,499
    @LauraRey remember the side vents for the fridge were added late 2016 to now, so someone with front vents may have different experiences than someone with vents by the door. Just a thought.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338

@LauraRey remember the side vents for the fridge were added late 2016 to now, so someone with front vents may have different experiences than someone with vents by the door. Just a thought.

I have the two round vents on the front and one side vent on the side next to the door.

Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    We have the two round vents on the front. Never had a flame out while parked. There will be less rocking in hi wind if you either back in or head into the wind IMHO.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @LauraRey, as I recall, the pilot light being blown out numerous times was due to a defective circuit board and then a misaligned part (thermocoupler?) on one owner's T@B. It was a 2015. There are many more of us who have never experienced this happening. So, I don't consider it a widespread problem. 

As a rule, if I know a windstorm is coming, I do position the rear of the T@B towards the incoming wind, solely due to the fact the rear seems more aerodynamic to me. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thank you all for your answers.  Much appreciated.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    The Norcold is built and designed so that the unit will function best at a level position.   If the unit isn't level the chances of the pilot going out are increased.   Here is a Norcold FAQ that has some good information.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Yes, I understood about the need for it to be level.  Thank you.  I was just remembering someone's posting about orientation and wind.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I've been out in some hefty winds in Michigan, Texas & Arizona and this hasn't had an effect for me personally on the pilot light on the Norcold.  We were at 9K feet out in Colorado about a month ago on the edge of a mountain and were buffeted all night long by high winds and without any issues other than an occasional bump or hit from a heavy gust to the side of the trailer.  

The exhaust covers should deflect wind as do the louvers on the vent.   The only time I've really been concerned or considered re-positioning the trailer was via an approaching weather front and high winds in an attempt to align the trailer in a manner (aligned parallel front to back) so that we wouldn't be hit broadside by the prevailing wind.  I've never heard anyone mention the Norcold or mention that it went out because of windy conditions.  
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I believe @Pxlated has experienced it. I only experienced during one or two storms, so I am assuming it had to do with the wind direction of those 2 incidents.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options

jkjenn said:

I believe @Pxlated has experienced it. I only experienced during one or two storms, so I am assuming it had to do with the wind direction of those 2 incidents.

Thanks...I was beginning to think I had dreamed the posting. :)  
  • Options
    edited April 2017

jkjenn said:

I know it's a no-no in the RV industry for obvious reasons, but traveling with the Norcold running has been the only time I've had the pilot light go out and heard it trying to re-light itself when I parked the trailer.   That's not to say that having the pilot go out in strong wind conditions won't happen, but I've never had it happen yet and will have to say that I've been in some very strong weather and consistent wind and buffeting wind conditions out west (as approaching weather fronts came through the area) when boondocking on BLM lands, etc. and in open areas with the Norcold exhaust exposed to the wind.   Hopefully my lucky streak will continue!  smilie