Options

üCamp 17 Rally - Workshop Ideas

Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
What would you like to see in the way of workshops at this year's rally?   

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ

Comments

• Options
    fiddlefootfiddlefoot Member Posts: 62
    Oh my!  I've given this a lot of thought since you first asked, and this would be my top 2 priorities.
    Having read a lot of posts concerning solar, there is still confusion about what I need and what will work with solar panels and how big a panel I would need and if I need more batteries and ....  Probably will learn a lot by seeing what others have done, this is the best reason to attend.
    And then there is maintenance.  A guide or hand out with every so many miles check this and every so many months do this and every season do this, along with a hands on demonstration of how to do these things.  There is so much information on the forum about maintenance and thanks to all, a guide would be so nice.
    And thanks to you for asking.
    Denise

Denise, Rea and Ruby
    2016 CS S, 2008 Toyota Tacoma
    Somerset, VA

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    For all of the new owners and a refresher for others: Alde how to, where are the two hidden glass fuses; what sounds are appropriate coming from the Alde (gurgling, hum of Alde, heat from the Alde unit); winterizing/dewinterizing; how to remove air pockets in water lines; how to change a tire and why to never allow a jack under the axle. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    DockguyDockguy Member Posts: 14
    Discussion on creating new sewer hose mount on the T@B outside of the unit.  Also, different types of alternatives for holding bikes on a T@B Max S.  Maybe adding a 2" hitch on the back of the T@B underneath to carry a 2" bike receiver.
  • Options
    DockguyDockguy Member Posts: 14
    edited April 2017
    Alternative devices used to hang up toilet paper in the wet bath, keeping paper dry while showering.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Mike, I probably won't make it but, I would suggest:

A new owners' workshop: T@b 101:
     - Winterization
    -  Basic Battery Management
    - Basic Troubleshooting (fuses, water pressure issues, Sea Level, Red Light on Alde, Alarms)

Pick Your Mod:
    - Single Sewer Drain
    - Upgrading your front cupboard hinges

Improve Your Road Game:
    - Finding free or cheap campsites in beautiful locations
    - Changing a flat tire
    - Solar
    - Planning for an extended trip

From the Kitchen:
    - An introduction to dutch oven cooking
    - Foil pack meals
    - Packing your fridge for maximum efficiency

You be You: Personalizing Your T@b
    - Decorating ideas
    - Custom graphics, paint, or wraps
    - The mobile office

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited April 2017
    Great ideas  @jkjenn!
    -Brake & bearing maintenance
    -Stabilizer care and maintenance
    -Jack and tongue maintenance and care
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Restless_NativeRestless_Native Member Posts: 116
    These are all really good. Battery and solar basics would be very helpful. 
    Amanda, Ft. Myers, FL Ag@tha 2017 T@B CS-S  , TV: 2013 Chevy Equinoz LTZ

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We can't go, but it would be awesome if someone would videotape the correct way to change a tire, and put it on YouTube. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    spkbeamspkbeam Member Posts: 15
    All great ideas. As a newer owner we would probably go to most of what was suggested 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,499
    Mike, there are a lot of very experienced Tabbers.  Why not take the workshop burden out of the hands of nüCamp.  Let the workshops be owner driven.  Who knows better what info we need?  We can try this on a limited basis this rally.  I bet it would be very successful!  Any volunteers?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861

SAM said:

Mike, there are a lot of very experienced Tabbers.  Why not take the workshop burden out of the hands of nüCamp.  Let the workshops be owner driven.  Who knows better what info we need?  We can try this on a limited basis this rally.  I bet it would be very successful!  Any volunteers?

I'm not opposed to this and agree, we have a wealth of talent and knowledgeable individuals spread out among our members.  If anyone is interested and wants to do something along these lines please let us know.  

One other thing I'd be interested in hearing some feedback from members on is whether or not anyone would be interested in participating in a swap meet.  I do need to clear this with nuCamp first, but have always felt that people do have extra gear (things they've outgrown and that are sitting in the garage collecting dust) and that it would be an interesting thing and allow folks to sell some items they no longer need and that others might be interested in having.  Any interest in doing something like this if the hosts are okay with it?  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    @SAM, we have done this before. Two years ago, most nights were spent at my T@B with question and answer sessions--solo travel security, security in general, how to use solar, how to find boondocking opportunities, etc. John Gerton, a dealer in Southern Indiana had a session in the daylight on how to change a tire, Steve and Karen had a session. Last year Marvin had a wonderful presentation that drew most everyone who attended.

As time gets closer, we could firm up those plans for volunteers to have sessions. There's nothing saying there have to be plans for owner led sessions either--just come to me, tell me you have a dozen or so people who want to see how to do xxxxxxxx, we'll select an appropriate time and 30 or so people can bring show up their beverages, Thermocells and camp chairs to my campsite and we can discuss, demonstrate (except actual black &a gray water disposal!).   I'm sure Mike and others will volunteer also.  

And there doesn't have to be a planned specific topic to be addressed, we owners can always find subjects to discuss.

I volunteer. I love meeting and getting to know everyone in person.  But, I'm bad with names--please put your userid names on your name tags, too ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    edited April 2017

Photomom said:

We can't go, but it would be awesome if someone would videotape the correct way to change a tire, and put it on YouTube. 

That is a great idea, Henrietta! I will not be able to attend either, but it would be fantastic if several of the workshops could be videotaped for those of us who cannot attend. This would provide a wealth of information for all newbies and others. I'm a visual learner, so having those videos would help immensely. At least it would give me sense of all of the fun you guys are going to have! Hope to make it next year, but I am already making plans for T@bazona so I can meet some of you.

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    Bill_in_TulsaBill_in_Tulsa Member Posts: 65
    We are going even though we do not have a T@B, just a Silver Shadow but would still be very interested in all the idea presented above. All very useful for most everyone, even old timers.
    We are happy to be able to attend.

Lynn and Bill-in-Tulsa
    2016 Silver Shadow 5x10 ~ TV 2016 Ford Transit 350 Wagon XLT van.
    "Find the Magic in a Teardrop Trailer"
    Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

Photomom said:

Ed Kauffman has done this, already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abxd23tkBAE&index=1&list=PLzsC1ymNvWlHHG2YcYqqLR-X00hbX-oIj

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Nice!
  • Options
    With the promise of air conditioning we are going after all! I would love an "open house" event where we could tour other people's' campers and setups!
  • Options
    Pop-T@BPop-T@B Member Posts: 199
    I would be game for that, it would be really fun to see how people customize and modify their T@B's to suit their needs and camping style. I think everyone would get some good ideas from this one and who doesn't like to show off their work =) .
  • Options
    Has anyone been to a rally where this kind of thing has been done? What would need to be done to organize it?
  • Options
    Bill_in_TulsaBill_in_Tulsa Member Posts: 65
    ???
    Lynn and Bill-in-Tulsa
    2016 Silver Shadow 5x10 ~ TV 2016 Ford Transit 350 Wagon XLT van.
    "Find the Magic in a Teardrop Trailer"
    Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
  • Options
    Every Tabazona has it. Frank just sets a time and everyone follows him from camper to camper. Of course not every camper likes this, so a signup sheet is good.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @Verna, we tried something different at East Meets West, Washington State. Instead of a guided tour we opted for a more relaxed schedule. The plan was that after 10am the first morning anyone who wanted to show their trailer put out a little orange flag. If you didn't want to, or wanted to wander and look first you did not put the flag out. This made sense and seemed simple enough...until we pulled into the park and saw mostly orange and a few green little flags EVERYWHERE. Seems they were marking sprinkler issues or something. All we could do was laugh at that point. Next year I will have T@B themed something for folks to put out. This worked really well for everyone as folks could come and go at their own pace, and it offered the opportunity to get to know people better rather than be part of a large group just looking. Over the course of the days there everyone who wanted to see someone's trailer had done that, and it was a very pleasant experience for us all!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    gregndebgregndeb Member Posts: 31
    As new T@Bbers, all the suggested ideas are good.
    My interest items are
    • A forum on better storage utilization in the front "tub".  Can one fit two 6V golf cart batteries, propane AND meaningful sewer hose storage?
    • Battery pro/con:  GSM, 6V golf cart, or just a bigger 12V
    • Storage - can one use a sissor lift to raise their T@B so another car can fit under the T@B?
    • Solar: outside panels, glue-on-the-roof, what else is needed?
    • Tow mirrors, what works for some people vs. others?  (I've towed tent trailers and other stuff.  It took me 3 iterations of mirrors to get "mirror nirvana" with our 2017 Toyota Highlander.  If I can save someone some hassle, I'm willing to talk.  (Maybe listen too)
    • I'd be willing to talk about TV wiring.  Adding a solenoid to have switched 12V and putting a diode across the the solenoid to prevent electrical surges, et.al.  
    T@B: 2018 320-CS Max
    TV: 2017 Toyota Highlander
This discussion has been closed.