Options

Electrical compartment toolbox mod

hymiehymie Member Posts: 150
We have had our t@b Outback for two weeks and the mods proceed! I got thinking about the extra space in the electrical compartment.
There is a ton of extra space but it is almost impossible to use.

My solution was to add a "lip" around 3 sides that allows us to use this space for a (oddly shaped) toolbox.
The toolbox rests on the "lip" on three sides and is tight to the wheel well. I also added two XLPE foam blocks to the floor under the toolbox to ensure adequate support.

The toolbox dimensions and shape were determined by existing wiring and allowing for adequate clearance for heat dissipation.

The toolbox is not fixed in any way but is easily lifted out to access the electrical. Not exactly fine woodworking but extremely functional. Fits a surprising variety of items.

And the final touch was to add the piano hinge for easy access.

Super pleased with the results.

Let the mods continue! :)

Cheers- James
James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Wow!!! Excellent mod! My little vacuum like yours had no real home (still doesn't). And what is this "not fine woodworking" comment? I'm lucky to get a clean right angle!! It's perfect.

Are you going to put a strap somewhere so you can lift it out? You don't have any by-pass valves in there, so I guess it's not a major deal.

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    @Ratkity Thanks! It lifts out fairly easily but, yes, I am planning on adding a handle to aid in lifting it out.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @hymie, great mod!  I'd love to do that, but my "pantry" is attached to the top of the plywood. Right now it is two wire baskets on full slides. Between camp hostessing sessions this summer it will be boxed in with drawer fronts and a couple of hinged spots for miscellaneous flashlights, batteries, etc. But, I'll still keep thinking of the wasted space underneath ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @hymie, Looks like something that should have been put there 'stock'. Another great idea, keep 'em coming! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    Very nice mod. Can you post a pic of the bottom of the toolbox? Thanks.
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    This might be one of my favorite mods, yet. I have been noodling how to partition some of this off. I have an Alde radiator in there, so a little less space, but every little bit, helps. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    SnapDogSnapDog Member Posts: 53
    Very nice! I've been thinking of storing the table top in there but like your set up much better.  
    Sn@pDog, 2017 Outback, Silver w/black trim
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    @hymie any chance you drew this tool box up and created instruction, before you started cutting wood?  =)
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    @KBaggins1 Here ya go-

Materials are 3mm and 6mm baltic birch and 1x 2,3,6 pine

@jkjenn "Lip" is easy to create using off the shelf house framing straps from any big box bandit. Cheap too!

@dsatwork Of coarse I made scale drawings in Solidworks and subjected it to FEA analysis thus determining the need for 3.6 lb high density cross link foam of sufficient surface area to conform to ASTM 4169 .

Busted... yeah, I winged it. :)

@ericnliz Aww shucks.. Thanks.
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    @hymie dude.....(affectionate west coast term meaning "wow your awesome") You even used "square head wood screws", to keep with the whole Amish build theme.....wow you are awesome.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    Looks really great thanks for the extra pics.
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • Options
    @dsatwork Ummmmmmmm.... Not sure how to say this... Square head (Robertson head) is a Canadian thing. Widely used in all industries here especially building trades. You've got some smart Amish in Ohio. :) My father gave me buckets of assorted brass, bronze and nickel screws over the years - all of which have slot heads. I'm fairly certain that I have never used one except in extreme cases. I almost always manage to mangle myself, the work or both.

I am, however, a pro at stripping Phillips head screws at the worst possible moment. It's a gift. :)

• Options
    ruralgoddessruralgoddess Member Posts: 8
    Verna Could you post some pics of your "pantry"?
  • Options

hymie said:

@dsatwork Ummmmmmmm.... Not sure how to say this... Square head (Robertson head) is a Canadian thing. Widely used in all industries here especially building trades. You've got some smart Amish in Ohio. :) My father gave me buckets of assorted brass, bronze and nickel screws over the years - all of which have slot heads. I'm fairly certain that I have never used one except in extreme cases. I almost always manage to mangle myself, the work or both.

I am, however, a pro at stripping Phillips head screws at the worst possible moment. It's a gift. :)

Ut oh hymie, we may have the same genetic anomaly! I've even busted 2x T45 Torx bits. I now have a manual impact drill that should knock those Harley Torx bolts loose without breaking bits (the bolts themselves are almost indestructible). My very old mobile home I lived in when in grad school used Robertson (square) heads. Never seen them before that. Never really saw Torx much either. Seeing more of both lately.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    TTTabTTTab Member Posts: 100
    I noticed the small vacuum as well.  What brand is it and is it 12v?  Who has found an auto vacuum that they recommend?
    2015 T@B M@x S silver and white
    tv 2010 Lexus RX350 Matador red  
  • Options

Verna Could you post some pics of your "pantry"?

I'll try for some photos in a different post this afternoon. It's just a start with only the wire baskets right now. I've used two fake wicker boxes for two years and wanted something more permanent and something easier to see my food stuffs. I need to turn the Alde and fridge on today so I can work in there plus hopefully the camp hostess Campground might get my campsite electrical ready so I can finally start my "job" this weekend;). (I'm actually calling it a fun summer, not a job!)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    @TTTab Vacuum is made by Simonize, 12 volt and retails around $60 CND ( Likely $30 US ). Works reasonably well.

However....

It is a PIG at 6 amps. So likely use will be when on shore power and for very limited use on battery.

All in all- worth it for us. It was the smallest physical choice at the big box bandit near me.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

hymie said:

@TTTab Vacuum is made by Simonize, 12 volt and retails around $60 CND ( Likely $30 US ). Works reasonably well.

However....

It is a PIG at 6 amps. So likely use will be when on shore power and for very limited use on battery.

All in all- worth it for us. It was the smallest physical choice at the big box bandit near me.

I finally switched to a good black and decker 12v vacuum. I found it worked well and I could recharge either via the T@b or while driving. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    @TTTab, Almost any 12V auto vacuum will work. I had three, and I grabbed the one with the longest cord to plug in to the 'cigar lighter' fixture above the sink. Results.....central vacuum! ;)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    Some large Class A RV's have central vacuum.  Who wants to be first to design a usable system for our T@Bs?  =)
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options

Some large Class A RV's have central vacuum.  Who wants to be first to design a usable system for our T@Bs?  =)

Well, you start with a pool noodle... hehehehe. :lol:
  • Options
    TTTabTTTab Member Posts: 100
    You would only need one outlet.  No need for the 30 foot hose!  Get working on it guys!!!

2015 T@B M@x S silver and white
    tv 2010 Lexus RX350 Matador red  
  • Options
    RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
  • Options
    A cordless Dust Buster is mar-vel-ous!  Charge it when you can, but the charge lasts a long time.  It picks up the mystery sawdust, sand and dirt, etc. There is also a more expensive lithium battery cordless Dust Buster but I just couldn't see spending the extra bucks. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    I chose the corded vacuum as it weighs less and the t@b just isn't that big.

• Options
    I inherited a corded dustbuster. Have had it for at least a century and it won't die for nuthin! LOL. It is beat up and scratched and has seen the inside of nearly every vehicle I've ever owned. I think it's possessed. Sometimes it works and picks up everything perfectly. Other times, it'll purposely miss one thing while cleaning everything else.
  • Options
    In truth, the vacuum has a critical role in our day to day life. My dear wife is very not fond of spiders. Enter the dustbuster...

Or, as I like to call it, the "Whirling Vortex Of Death".  Somehow that seems to make it a little more final... :)
  • Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    I agree with your wife, @hymie! That's why I always have a bottle of Home Defense around and spray it liberally on everything in house, trailer and especially garage. I've never met a brown recluse, and I will do everything possible to avoid it.
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    Ok, since this already got high-jacked...those little vacuums work great for getting the yellow jackets off your hummingbird feeders too! Pour a couple cocktails...great entertainment. (Don't ask me how I know about that one either!) :D
    Spokane, Wa.