Options

Installing brake controller advice needed

luvmytabluvmytab Member Posts: 66
I just replaced my Outback with a Toyota 4Runner 2016. The dealer wants to charge me $350 to install wiring for brake controller and the brake controller purchase.
The Toyota came with a tow package. I googled and found the place that I would plug in the brake adapter, so it appears to be wired. 
I found a Tekonsha brake controller online for $56. I don't think I have to do any wiring since the plug in car looks all ready to have the controller plug into. 
I am totally non-mechanical. I am hoping this is true as I don't want to spend $350 unnecessarily.
Any thoughts?? 
Barbara in Durango... T@B Max S 2015...Red & White... pull with 2016 Toyota Forerunner

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Toyota is notorious for saying it's wired for towing, but that means there's a plug under the dash that you have to run to the rear for the 7 pin plug. The brake controller may have an empty plug to connect to. It's a toss-up. Then you have to buy the wiring harness in addition to the brake controller. This happened to me, but I knew that's what I was doing and how to run the wires (Rav4 forums). I'd look at your TV forums and see what people had to do to wire a brake controller (did they need a special harness, did they need to pull trim from front to back to get to the 7 pin? Did the harness have a brake controller plug and play piece?). Toyota could've made it easier now. If it's just one plug under the dash and you already have the 7 pin... go for it. Doesn't sound like a problem for you to do the work! :) Let us know what you decide.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    I can't speak for Toyotas, but my Nissan with the OEM tow package was ready to go. I bought a cheap controller and the appropriate connecting harness for my vehicle, attached it to the plug under the dash that Ratkity mentioned, and everything worked.

I'd definitely do a little more research before making any charitable donation to your stealer!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    My 2015 Toyota Tacoma with factory tow package was wired and ready to go on the 7-pin. Yes, the charge wire was already wired, too. I used the wireless brake controller so I don't know if the brake controller package was ready. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    I got the Tekonsha P3 with the Nissan harness for our 2016 Frontier.  mounted the unit, plugged into the connector under the dash and ready to go.  etrailer.com got it right out with great service as usual.  Got the P3 from them for less than I could get the P2 from a local store. there is a lot of info about the difference in controllers on the net.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    HappyCamperWivesHappyCamperWives Member Posts: 33
    We have a toyota tacoma, we had it install for I think $150 but then decided to "calibrate" it ourselves. Long story short, going down a mountain pass each time we started braking we did a mini fish tail... truly terrifying until we got the right calibration (while driving a stick downhill). Make sure that you do it right is my biggest advice for both safety and peace of mind. 
  • Options
    Rolltide82Rolltide82 Member Posts: 89
    Look on etrailer.com.  very simply to install yourself.   They have plenty of videos.  I have the tekonsha P3 in a Tacoma.   They have great tech support also
  • Options
    etrailer was very helpful, got my parts ordered, thanks!
    Barbara in Durango... T@B Max S 2015...Red & White... pull with 2016 Toyota Forerunner
  • Options
    Rolltide82Rolltide82 Member Posts: 89
    How does the 4 runner pull the t@b?   Might add one to my driveway of Toyotas...lol
  • Options
    I had a 2011 outback and felt the strain once i converted from Lil Guy teardrop to T@B. I am in middle of getting it ready so do not know the answer to your question yet. I love my Forerunner, however!
  • Options
    dinzzydinzzy Member Posts: 180
    By now you have it figured out and dialed in.  This forum has great people with extremely good information!
    Tow with a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2016 T@B CS-S Max

• Options
    IslandJoIslandJo Member Posts: 60
    I heard the same thing from my mechanic when I asked about my 2017 Tacoma with the towing package. Like you I am totally non-mechanical. Owning a T@b is broadening my horizons and pushing my skills for sure. I turned to my old friend, YouTube, and found that the plug I needed was already there behind the driver kick panel. You need to take the kick panel off to pull out the plug enough to expose it for your use. I think they leave it hidden back there to clean things up for those who don't need to attach the brake controller. It's easier than it's sounds. Good luck. 
    2018 T@B CS-S on an Outback axle 
    2017 Toyota Tacoma with tow package
    Pacific Northwest