Options

Ok fellow taber's WA to MO trip any ideas?

BirdieJaneBirdieJane Member Posts: 237
we plan to travel from NW Washington to Columbia Missouri for a wedding starting May 27th following I 90 any secret stops we should not miss? We have three weeks to make the round trip.
2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn

Comments

• Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    1) If your towing vehicle can take it, highly recommend the Northern Cascades Route, WA Rte 20- beautiful!
    2) If you're into aviation and/or American inventiveness, the Bird Museum in Sagle, ID is fantastic and apparently not very well known. http://www.birdaviationmuseum.com/map_driving.htm
    3) Missoula, MT is a very interesting town, worth a stop.
    4) Devil's Tower, Badlands, Mt Rushmore, of course.

Have a great trip; we made it from east to west two years ago. Don't be afraid to get of the interstate and see some territory once in a while!
  • Options
    Thank's so much for your info, we plan to do some fly fishing too.
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    "...some fly fishing too."   Absolutely!! My pole is always within reach.

OK, it's an ultra-lightweight spinning outfit, but I just got a beginner's fly outfit- seems there are more & more "Fly Fishing Only" spots.

Probably well worth it to get on-line temporary licenses for both ID and MT at the least. I had great luck in small streams in ID. Some great rivers around Missoula, too. And while you're in MO, try to wangle an invite onto some farmland-- those "farm ponds" can be an absolute blast for crappie, bass & catfish! (Wife's family is from the Kirksville area- I always visit her brother & his ponds!)
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 923
    I would have to stop by Glacier NP if I were that close then head down toward the Badlands NP through Sturgis and east passing Devils Tower and Mt Rushmore.

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @BirdieJane, Have to agree with @rfuss928. If you've never been to Glacier NP, make it a must stop. it's an experience you'll remember for a long time!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    edited May 2017
    Speaking of Glacier, if you have time to travel far enough north in the park, the "Going to the Sun" highway is simply epic.  It's not for the faint of heart, as there's a few areas of single lane and sheer cliff drop-offs, but the scenery is unforgettable.  One of the few roads you can literally drive up and over the continental divide.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Currently Hwy. 20 in the North Cascades is scheduled to open Memorial Day, and the going to the sun road is probably going to be late June this year, so may not work for OPs timing.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Really great to get ideas you guys, 17 days till the big trip!!!
  • Options
    HvtymwiltravelHvtymwiltravel Member Posts: 51
    In Kansas City, MO, check out the Arabia Steamboat Museum.   http://1856.com    A steamboat fully loaded with trade goods sunk in the Missouri River. The museum is loaded with the cargo recovered from the wreck. Much of it is in like new condition.  If you are into history there are a lot of Lewis and Clark historic sites along parts of your route. If you range South into Arkansas I recommend a traditional hot bath at Hot Springs, AR
    2017 T@B 400   TV  Colorado Duramax
  • Options
    The Steamboat sound great!!