Options

ARB Fridge Tips and Tricks?

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
I know several of you now have the ARB fridge, so I am looking to crowdsource some tips for long distance travel.

Do you use your T@b fridge at all prior to arriving at the campsite? If so, do you use the ARB as a freezer while you travel? If you don't use the T2b fridge while in transit, do you just turn it on at the campsite and give it a day to cool?

Do you let the ARB use the T@b fridge overnight if you are just pulling in late and leaving early, and dry camping?

How long can I leave it with frozen stuff in it, closed, before stuff starts to thaw?

I am guessing @Verna and others will have some useful advice.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I use the ARB from the time I leave home until I get back home, along with my 3-way fridge in the T@B. I usually run the 12V extension cord out the window and plug it into the outlet on the tongue when I'm stopped for camping. I rarely have an electric site, but I still take a 40' 120V extension cord with me, just in case. 

I set the temp for 27*, cool it for a couple of days at the house before leaving, then I put my meat already frozen at the bottom of the ARB. That meat will stay frozen as long as the temp stays around 27*. I do keep margarine, salad, eggs, and butter in the dairy section at the rear top. 

At 27*, the bottom 3" to 4" will be frozen, but anything near the top will not necessarily be frozen. You would have to take the temp down farther to use the entire contents as a freezer. And you have to be very careful that nothing thaws. If the meat makes too many changes of its state (frozen to thawed to frozen to cooked to frozen to thawed is a sure way to have food poisoning--voice of experience after a 24 hr power outage at home).

Be careful with site seeing or shopping where the ARB is in the tow vehicle for too long without having power. I try to not let it stay without power for longer than two hours. When in doubt.... the food being tossed is easier than two days of food poisoning. Or, you can cook the meat for different recipes and then refreeze it, but it can be thawed only one more time, and then needs to be consumed. 

Does this sound like like a lot of work? No, it becomes very easy when you take care of it every day. I can go two weeks without shopping for meat.  I buy the meat, repackage it for either single meals or most of the time I cook enough for two or three meals. Then the packages are smaller to be arranged better in the ARB.  I can shop for fresh veggies every few days, or use canned veggies (prefer fresh). 

I also keep the made-to-order insulated cover on the ARB, plus a windshield sun reflector on top of that, plus two insulated flannel quilts on top of that. I also put Reflectex in the window next to the ARB as the temps get over 70*, or if that side of the truck is facing the sun (sometimes unavoidable). 

Enough info?  If not, ask. 

Verna

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Perfect, thanks, @Verna ! The temperature settings and locations were helpful. The extra insulation is also a good idea!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    texasaubiefantexasaubiefan Member Posts: 62
    Is this a better option than a yeti cooler?   When we moved to Houston we used a yeti for all our frozen foods.  Everything stayed frozen for 3 days.  Good thing as the power company mistakenly shut power to our house.  Everything else in the house fridges spoiled but the yeti stuff made it with room to spare. 
    2017 T@B 320-S, Sofitel (M@bel)
    Mabel is my great grandmother that I never knew.  She took her 3 sons (ages 8-2) on an epic adventure from Alabama to Florida in the 1930's in the back of a pick up truck.  I named my female English springer spaniel after my mother.  Might as well go for broke with the brownie points in Heaven!   
    TV: 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew 
    David & Jill, Houston, TX
  • Options

Is this a better option than a yeti cooler?   When we moved to Houston we used a yeti for all our frozen foods.  Everything stayed frozen for 3 days.  Good thing as the power company mistakenly shut power to our house.  Everything else in the house fridges spoiled but the yeti stuff made it with room to spare. 

If you are only camping for 3 days that will work. I camp for weeks at a time.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I procrastinated for a few years on the ARB before taking the plunge and purchasing one.  And inasmuch as they are spendy I considered this a long term investment in my camping/travel gear and needs and haven't regretted it for one minute!  No more dumping melted ice water, looking for ice while traveling, no more floating cheese, lunch meat, condiments, etc. and this unit is energy efficient and keeps your food, drinks and produce fresh and safe.  

We were thankful to have it out west when the 3-way was acting up and like Verna, our ARB is used from the time we leave home until the time we return!  I keep our ARB in the bed of my pickup and it is always nice to be able to pull over and have food or beverages available after unhooking from the trailer and traveling around the countryside.  

I will sometimes cool the ARB prior to travel  but I have also just set it in the bed of the pick up truck, plugged it in and took off for a trip. I operate similarly as Verna, although I do not freeze food in the ARB, but rather use it to keep things cool and fresh.   I have my unit set at 33° and do keep an eye on things during travel and when parked. I normally plug it into the extra solar port on my front tub of the trailer and run off the battery during the day while boondocking. There have also been times at night or prior to going to bed where I will unplug the unit and let it sit until early morning, then plug it back in to conserve energy.   Now that I have dual 6 V batteries this should not be an issue.    It is important to keep the vent areas on the lower portion of the ARB open and maintain distance around these areas to ensure proper operation and cooling.  I would also advise people to use an air compressor and blow out the lower vent areas as they will suck in a lot of dust and inhibit the cooling ability of the refrigerator/freezer.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ