Options

Use of ground cover under T@B tent

We just ordered a T@b tent for our T@b trailer.  Does anyone use a ground cover under their tent or is this needed. I didn't know how strong they were or if the ground cover helps keep them cleaner..  This forum is great.  Please let me know if one is needed.  Thanks, Tom & Patty
Happy 2013 t@b owners Greentown, Ohio

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    It's always a good idea to put a ground cover under a tent.  It helps protect the floor from dirt, rocks, roots and other things that may pierce the floor.  I bought a 7x10 tarp from Harbor Freight (their better one) to fold in half under my Paha Que 5x7 screen room.  It also gives a more cushiony feeling....if that's possible with a tarp.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I bought a camping mat that is big enough to under the floor of the T@b, that way it serves 2 purposes.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    breakawaybreakaway Member Posts: 38
    I have the tent and the awning and both are well served with our heavy duty tarp that goes under which ever one  we are using. Then on top of the floor I use a 9x12 piece of indoor/outdoor green covering. Works great!!
  • Options
    stanmstanm Member Posts: 49
    Most modern tents need a footprint to protect them from rocks and gravel and stuff. The fabric is high tech and very thin so it can end up with holes & tears if it's not protected. If you decided to just use a tarp, be sure to fold it smaller than the T@B tent footprint, at least a couple inches. We learned the hard way that when it rains, a tarp sticking out from under the T@B tent will cause rain water to pool under the tent. Although the tent is water proof, any tent sitting in a pool of water will leak. We spent most of a weekend trying to dry out clothes we had in the tent that were soaked by the pooling water under the tent.

Even better, Paha Que has a T@B tent footprint that they just started making. It is the correct size 2-3 inches smaller than the tent. I ordered mine last week, $45. I expect it to be worth it.
    Stan & Kitty - Seattle - 2014 T@B Q, Silver & Orange, 2013 Outback
  • Options
    tphorntphorn Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the response.  I though a ground cover was a good idea.  Still learning all of the ropes.  Love the camping community. Tom & Patty
    Happy 2013 t@b owners Greentown, Ohio