Options

Solar panels

I have a Coleman hundred watt solar panel and wondering if it's connected directly to the batteries if I put a charger on the batteries will the power from the charger affect the solar panel?

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Alski , Just curious....why would you want to do that?
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    Eric, maybe it is cloudy and the solar i
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    If you roof mount a panel and roll on down the road you are using 2 sources simultaneously to charge the battery.  Your charge controller prevents overcharge- don't think it is a problem.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    NewfisherNewfisher Member Posts: 105
    I have 100w mppt set up on my vanagon and hardwired 20amp marine charger into the shore power system. It gets plugged in after every trip and after 2 years....no problems other than healthy batteries.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited May 2017
    It shouldn't impact the panel if the voltage is within 12-14 volts DC.   You basically do the same thing when the vehicle is running and have fixed panels on a trailer and this is why we install fuses on devices to protect against high voltage or surge type conditions.   For peace of mind I'm sure you could easily install a small disconnect switch for travel time if this were a concern.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ