Options

suggestion for a generator and battery for my T@B 2015?

Admittedly, my mind disappears when I try to understand the whole voltage, etc thing. I just don't want to get stuck somewhere with a drained battery and no lights. I use lights and tv sometimes and like to keep my laptop charged. Anyone out there that can just tell me what to buy?? I heard Honda generators are good, but what model and it needs to be quiet for obvious reasons. My battery died at the end of the season last year so need to buy a new one. I read here about golf batteries, etc but think I need to get the same size to fit in factory installed spot. As I said, I am far from technical so do not feel confident to customize like so many of you have ability to do. I feel i could fare well with battery and generator as I just take grandkids out for a couple days at a time or i go on a road trip for a short time, sometimes a little longer, thus the need for generator.
I am steering clear of solar as often we do primitive camping and don't like to leave the panels out when out exploring.
Appreciate any and all suggestions!!! Thank you!!!
(I'm a simple girl, I am)
Barbara in Durango... T@B Max S 2015...Red & White... pull with 2016 Toyota Forerunner

Comments

• Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    A generator can be heavy, gas smells & produce carbon monoxide. Remember if you do run down your battery in the T@B you can always start up your car if it is properly hooked to the T@B and you will have all 12 volts & will be charging your TAB battery. You would need at least a 2,000 watt Honda which is something more you have to carry & set up & carrying fuel for it. I suggest you spend your money on a better battery. Unless you need air conditioning I would not get a generator. They (carborators) tend to be cantankerous when not started for long periods of time. Everyone is different, try without it before you buy one. Art 
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    luvmytabluvmytab Member Posts: 66
    Thanks Art. Oh yuk, that sounds horrible. Actually, that is how I have been recharging, with my car at the campsite at end of day. Seems a waste of gas and involves setting up camp so I will have easy access to the battery. Do you recommend a specific battery? There are so many out there. I got an Interstate for my auto. Thanks

Barbara in Durango... T@B Max S 2015...Red & White... pull with 2016 Toyota Forerunner
  • Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378

I haven't had to replace the battery and I've yet to buy a generator, but you should look at this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01720SV1A/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_img?_encoding=UTF8&colid=ORFK9MJAHRD8&coliid=I299MXC4HAWD2L&psc=1

I believe I heard about it here on the forums. It has similar specs to the Honda and Yamaha - which are the most popular, it seems - is pretty close in terms of quietness and about half the price. It also gets very good reviews on Home Depot, Lowes and Amazon.

Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @luvmytab, If your original in your T@B is the Interstate (HD 24DP), go to Interstate Batteries site on-line, the SRM 24 offers a little more reserve capacity than your OEM group 24. There are a LOT of choices available out there, this is only one suggestion. A little research goes a LONG way!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

gulfarea said:

A generator can be heavy, gas smells & produce carbon monoxide. Remember if you do run down your battery in the T@B you can always start up your car if it is properly hooked to the T@B and you will have all 12 volts & will be charging your TAB battery. You would need at least a 2,000 watt Honda which is something more you have to carry & set up & carrying fuel for it. I suggest you spend your money on a better battery. Unless you need air conditioning I would not get a generator. They (carborators) tend to be cantankerous when not started for long periods of time. Everyone is different, try without it before you buy one. Art 

What you need would depend on how long you camp. I spent last summer, using a fair amount of gadgetry and not skimping with lights or TV and was able to keep up with my needs with 6 6v golf cart batteries and 200w of solar. I also used a small Goal Zero Yeti 150 to help keep gadgets topped off. Based on your description, you would probably do fairly well with a battery upgrade and solar, but I understand your concern about panels growing legs. I had a small panel stolen at Twin Lakes, last summer. @Tabster has an interesting idea for mounting semii-flexible panels.

If you don't need air conditioning, you could get by with a much smaller generator, depending on your power uses. I see that you are in Durango and likely would not need a/c in the mountains. If you venture to Moab in July, you'd likely want a/c or to camp at a site with hook-ups. You could also consider something along the lines of the Goal Zero Yeti 400 or 1200 and use that to power your laptop and even recharge portable lanterns or lights instead of using the house battery. I like Luci solar lights, but they are not really enough to read by at night.

If you frequently boondock, you could try permanently mounting your panels, although there can be drawbacks and it would require a fair amount of time and energy for the set-up or the expense of having a dealer do it for you. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    sranderlesranderle Member Posts: 78
    I'm also curious on the generator route, as we would like the option to camp without electrical hookup and still power my CPAP machine (Airsense 10, humidifier and heated tubing).  I'm expecting that I would need to recharge the battery daily.
    Steve & Sherry
    2016 T@b Q
    Lakeville, MN
  • Options
    NewfisherNewfisher Member Posts: 105
    Our old T@B didnt have AC, the new Outback does and since we boondock, it allows us to reach out to hotter climate areas this summer and keep the trailer cool at night with the dogs. My answer: LowPro lock mount custom shaved and a EU2000i on the left side with exhaust pointed outward secured to the Outback platform. The right side holds a Yeti Roadie 20qt cooler secured and locked down. Ill post pics after the weekend. Im getting ready to install 100w flex panel on the roof to maintain light usage.
  • Options
    Guten_TaBGuten_TaB Member Posts: 7
    We bought a used Honda EU2000 from a dealer, holding off on Solar for a bit. We camped last year a couple of times in 100 degree weather, it was nice to run the AC during the peak heat.  The Honda is quiet 20 feet away, you can use a normal voice level to talk. Stored for 5 months with fuel extender, started in 6 stokes.  We have the clamshell, so battery to run the refrigerator when no hook- ups, and the battery drains quickly with the refrigerator running.  We use smaller batteries with solar to recharge our gadgets.
    Eva and Martin, Guten_T@B, Sacramento, California. 2016 T@B Max CS-S
  • Options
    luvmytabluvmytab Member Posts: 66
    thanks, good info
  • Options
    DebM11DebM11 Member Posts: 26
    edited May 2017
    I bought this Goal Zero 400 generator last month and it worked great for our first trip on using it last week. Charged it up and ran two CPAPs off of it for two nights and used somewhere less then 20% of the battery. My husband wired the CPAPs for 12 volt by buying at the thrift store two 12 volt adaptors wiring them together and then plugging in the conjoined pair to the Goal Zero. Using 110 for the CPAP on a generator or using a humidifier will use alot more energy. Your mileage may vary ; )
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D5RVMAM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  when I bought at the beg of April it was $364.  
    SOLD: My T@BLEAU
    2016 Max S Silver & Lt Blue T@B, 2007 Lexus 400h, Rockville & Port Republic, Maryland

Now riding/driving a Thor Vegas, 24.1 around the country
  • Options
    NewfisherNewfisher Member Posts: 105
    Heres mine locked down on one side of the platform with the lowpro quick lock and a Yeti Roadie locked down on the other side. Can choose to leave it home or take it with and have it for AC when needed boondocking. Very secure!

• Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    We too use the LowPro Lockdown platform and have been for quite some time. You can use it on the platform or move it away from the Tab. Of course if you do you have to chain up or it will be gone. What limited time we have had it on the Tab, it been easy to see which way the wind was blowing and shut the appropriate windows while it was on. 

2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    George101George101 Member Posts: 48
    Newfisher said:
    Heres mine locked down on one side of the platform with the lowpro quick lock and a Yeti Roadie locked down on the other side. Can choose to leave it home or take it with and have it for AC when needed boondocking. Very secure!

@Newfisher - Is there room to plug into the generator with it mounted exhaust out?

• Options
    robptrobpt Member Posts: 90
    A generator can be heavy, gas smells & produce carbon monoxide.

True about the smell, that is why I am seriously looking into a propane conversion kit for my two Yamaha ef20000is. It would be worth it to me to not have to cart around gasoline cans. 

North Florida T@B 400 towed by a 2014 Nissan Frontier