Options

What led you to get a T@B?

ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
edited May 2017 in Products and Accessories
Thanks for your enthusiastic participation in my previous polls. While discussions are great for exchanging ideas and sharing details, polls are fun way to see where us T@bbers stand as a group! Here's another for your amusement...
2015 T@B S

What led you to get a T@B? 81 votes

Sleeping in a tent was getting old!
58% 47 votes
No way I'm sleeping in a tent! The T@B was my ticket to camping.
9% 8 votes
I upsized from a smaller camper so I could actually stand up!
14% 12 votes
I downsized from a larger camper. K.I.S.S.!
17% 14 votes

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I loved my Silver Shadow teardrop, but literally sitting out storms inside and not having an inside bathroom were the big deciding points.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I LOVED tent camping, whether it was car camping with the family or backpacking or kayak camping with adventurous women friends. But the last time we camped at our favorite lakeside campground in the Adirondacks was miserable. It rained every day and my husband did something to his back so we just bugged out early. That's when we knew our tenting days were over.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    Hey, Photomom--I'm headed for an Adirondack lakeside myself in few weeks. I hope we get better weather than you had on that last trip, but if we don't, at least it won't be in a tent!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Setting up a tent trailer got old! DW wanted an actual bathroom.....now we own a T@B!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    We went from a 40' Winnebago to our T@B. I like to say it has everything the Winnebago had except a fire place, and it fits in our garage.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    edited May 2017
    One or two days in a tent?  OK.  Three to five days in a tent in different spots......this is getting a little tiring.  Several days with a tent and the weather is cold and miserable.......I needed a camper, and the T@b is just my speed!

Oh, and add bathroom and shower.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    foxdenfoxden Member Posts: 148
    Not really related but.......is it just plain wrong to change your T@b's name after you have already had it for a month? 
    2017 Max S - Silver/Red - T@briolet -  2016 Jeep Cherokee - Fredericksburg, TX
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,499
    Go ahead Foxden...she will never know the difference:)
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,499
     My DH and I live to travel both nationally and internationally.  We enjoy the outdoors and never really considered ourselves campers - we have enjoyed backpacking out in Wyoming and in the back country of Yellowstone - my favorite place in the country.  We started on our TaB journey when we decided that part of our retirement would include spending weeks out in the Yellowstone Park area.  I looked at local housing that we could rent - but not much available that did not require a long drive into the Park and was affordable.  Pinterest popped up with some vintage trailer stuff and that lead to the small trailer idea.  Before I knew it I had solved the housing dilemma and thrown in a whole new way to travel!  We still plan to backpack and sleep in a tent once in awhile...  It has been a steep 2 1/2 year learning curve, but a nice distraction as we prepare to retire in 3 months, 2 weeks and 2 days!!!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Like Verna, I loved the Silver Shadow too but  up-sized to help out my lady Linda as she has back problems and needed a trailer where she could stand up and also a unit that had a bathroom area.  No regrets here as we love the trailer and are looking to go to a 400 in a few years if the $$$ is there and things shake out.   
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    I actually don't mind the tent now and again.  But we go to a few music festivals each year and the facilities often consist of porta potties and cold showers.  Needless to say a tiny camper with a toilet and shower was awfully appealing.  Plus it is much quieter in the T@B then a tent when the revelries continue late into the night in the camp ground.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @foxden I did that! I liked dragonfly but.when she came L@dybug, or Bug for short, fit her better. Go for it! It's yours to enjoy, name  and all!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    As a family we had tent camped a fair amount, but then the kids grew up... I continued to tent camp occasionally, sans wife & kids, and still enjoyed it, EXCEPT for the inclement weather part. Set-up, takedown... the worst was having to open everything up a second time later to allow it all to dry out! I think that was the worst for me, wet weather. Sleeping on the ground was also becoming ... less enjoyable, let's say.

When some neighbors came home with their new T@B, we were smitten! Three years later, we bought it from them. (It had been all the way from NH to AK and back!) I loved that I could pull it with my Jetta TDI Wagon, no set-up involved, and DRY; it even had HEAT!!

Ours was an older DM T@B, so no self-contained water system and only a small porta-potty (that was never used). We just stayed at campgrounds where we could access bathrooms. Really loved that little thing, but eventually up-sized --not by much-- to a short wheelbase Sprinter-based Roadtrek. I can certainly appreciate that the new T@Bs have a bathroom and a water system; they're really convenient to have!

Still miss our T@B, it was so simple... but have learned how interesting it is to be able to dry-camp darn near anywhere, using our "small RV" with water, bathroom, solar & battery storage, like many of you have done with your T@Bs.

Hope you don't mind, but I'll still always approach & talk to you T@Bbers whenever I run in to you. (Guess now I'm officially a "zombie"...?)

Walt in NH
  • Options
    foxdenfoxden Member Posts: 148
    I love tent camping but also love having the luxury of an indoor bathroom and a place to sometimes get in from the rain, heat, bugs etc.  Oh, and the occasional bear that decides to raid your tent when camping on your own property in Colorado.  (Kind of a funny story).  I had looked at the Tab for a few years and knew I wanted something small that I could easily tow and would fit on the patio space in my yard.  Handling a trailer on my own was a little intimidating but I am always up for a challenge.  Just not a 20 foot challenge.  But honestly, I was drawn in by the cuteness of this little trailer!  So a month ago, I made my decision to just go for it and I couldn't be happier.  And after my first trip out I decided that my T@b was just too much fun to have a serious name like St@rdust so I went back to my original thought I had a year ago and the name is now T@briolet.  I really think if this trailer could be a fun loving convertible, she would be!
    2017 Max S - Silver/Red - T@briolet -  2016 Jeep Cherokee - Fredericksburg, TX
  • Options
    janet_ncjanet_nc Member Posts: 6
    Rain, rain and more rain. The last 4 or 5 times I tent camped, it rained every time (North Carolina), Usually just for 15 or 20 minutes over the course of an entire beautiful weekend, just enough that I'd have to set up the tent again when I got home to dry it out. Bought the T@B in November 2015 and never looked back!
  • Options
    gbellgbell Member Posts: 88
    We were getting tired of sleeping in our van or tent while camping, even rented an Aliner, that was a bad idea, wind blew it down on us,. Then tent camping last May in Moab I saw a t@b max s in a campground and knew that was exactly what we needed. Ordered it the following week. Love it.
  • Options
    @irvingj, Walt, definitely NOT a Zombie! You're still a part of the T@B family! Heck, we even let @Ratkity stick around! ;)  
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770

ericnliz said:

@irvingj, Walt, definitely NOT a Zombie! You're still a part of the T@B family! Heck, we even let @Ratkity stick around! ;)  

*snort* Your bad back isn't keeping you down at all! :rofl:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    @Ratkity, good thing you weren't sippin' on yer favorite beverage on that one, huh......or were 'ya? =)
    Doesn't seem to effect my typing.....much. :o
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @ericnliz, no beverage this time... just cookie crumbs. Compressed air to the rescue!!! Dontcha hate it when you press a keyboard key and it goes "crunch". "You know you're a geek when you sit at your computer and snack so much that you can dump a whole cookie's worth of crumbs outta your keyboard"
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    <clearing throat> Back on topic.......
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    uh, oh, wand has spoken......sorry @Verna! Goin' back over to "idle chit-chat" :s................
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Thanks, guys. In case you hadn't noticed, I really loved our simple little DM T@B, and gave it a lot of TLC. Thank you for allowing me to hang around on this forum!

I firmly believe that I'll always remember that white teardrop we used for just a few years, and the adventures we had with it. Now camping in a different category, but still.... (And folks ask why I opted for the very smallest Sprinter-based camper.... DUH!)
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217

ScottG said:

Hey, Photomom--I'm headed for an Adirondack lakeside myself in few weeks. I hope we get better weather than you had on that last trip, but if we don't, at least it won't be in a tent!

Hopefully after black fly season. I heard from someone that they are REALLY BAD right now. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 927
    Form follows function.

A soft dry bedroom with a nice functional kitchen out back.
    The next level of accommodations for mature back packer, bicycle tourists.

• Options
    "... they are REALLY BAD right now."    YEP, THEY ARE!!  

Hit central NH about 3 days ago; just miserable this year! (Some folks... not me... say that black flies are the NH State Bird....)
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    While camping in our traditional teardrop in Glacier National Park trying to figure out how to cook outdoors in wind and rain, neighbors at the next site invited us over to sit inside their trailer and visit.   We had no idea what it was, but it sure was cute!   Guess what?   It was a T@B!  When an indoor bathroom became an option, we gladly became T@bbers!
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    ClaudeAClaudeA Member Posts: 54
    This!  Camping on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon 1st week of April this year.

2016 CS-S silver and red, 2022 Toyota Sienna Hybrid
    Ottawa, Ontario