Options

Water pump issues

So for the second time while dry camping I am in the shower, and water stops flowing. I check water level reads 13%, I add water to the tank and pump runs but no water. I drive to dealer the first time they replace the pump and we are back in up and running. Two weeks later same thing took trailer to dealer, guy in the service department  says you are drawing the tank water to low getting an vacuum lock. Is there a level the fresh water tank should not go below? It would seem when you only have 11 gallons to start with you need every drop. We have a three week trip starting next week and will be dry camping a lot of it.
2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn

Comments

• Options
    pittchristinepittchristine Member Posts: 30
    Ours stops at 13%, too!
    Chris and Rick, 2017 T@B Max S with 2010 Ford Escape TV
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    You need to add water once you hit 25% on the fresh water tank.  Sounds like you are getting air into your pump and losing prime.  Add water sooner.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    Showering while boondocking? Wouldn't think that was such a great idea.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I try to refill at about 25%. Experience will tell you how far down you can pump from your tank. 

When you think of the alternative of having a privy tent and a bucket of water you have to warm up to take a shower, it's a small price to pay to keep enough water in the tank for showers. 

I rarely miss a shower while camping. I carry two 4 gallon and two 6 gallon Reliance jugs and I fill them where I can. Free at a campground or pay for the water at a self-serve kiosk 25 cents per gallon or $1 for 5 gallon. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    BirdieJaneBirdieJane Member Posts: 237
    Thank for the information, this site is great!!
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
  • Options
    So how do you get the pump pumping again if this should happen again?
  • Options
    JacobyOJacobyO Member Posts: 35
    I have had this happen a bunch of times now. Definitely keep it above 20% if possible. When I get the vapor lock I follow the hose from the exit side of the pump down to where it connects to plumbing system. Then I give it a good suck start while hitting the pump on switch. That usually takes care of it. Make sure you can drain that hose into the toilet or a bucket and that you can quickly reach the off switch to the pump once you have it flowing again. I got wet the first couple times I did this but I can do it pretty quickly now without any issues.
  • Options
    Thank for the tip :-)
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    Mine did the same thing this last weekend; 25% and it starts sucking air.  I carry two six gallon jugs of water with a hose attachment I configured.  I attached the hose to the jug, placed the jug on my propane tank, inserted the hose into the water fill, and turned on the valve on my attachment and let the water flow.  The one six gallon jug exactly filled it back up to 100%.  As was said here, it's best to stop pulling water when you first hear your faucet pulling air.  After the tank is refilled, it just takes a few seconds of running the faucet to repressurize your water system.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    John, I would like to see a picture of your 6 gallon jug arrangement, please.  We need a system to fill.  Did you by chance replace the fresh water fill port?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited May 2017

SAM said:

John, I would like to see a picture of your 6 gallon jug arrangement, please.  We need a system to fill.  Did you by chance replace the fresh water fill port?

This is how we do it with the stock fill port set-up and via the multifaceted bike rack on the front.   Gravity is your friend!  =)

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited May 2017

So for the second time while dry camping I am in the shower, and water stops flowing. I check water level reads 13%, I add water to the tank and pump runs but no water. I drive to dealer the first time they replace the pump and we are back in up and running. Two weeks later same thing took trailer to dealer, guy in the service department  says you are drawing the tank water to low getting an vacuum lock. Is there a level the fresh water tank should not go below? It would seem when you only have 11 gallons to start with you need every drop. We have a three week trip starting next week and will be dry camping a lot of it.

Rule of thumb here is to monitor the fresh water tank level and as noted by others, refill it before it gets down to around 25-26% read level on the SeeLevel ll system or you'll be standing there listening to the pump and without water flowing.  Prior to showering I always fill up the tank to ensure adequate water for this task and it never has failed me.  This is a learned process that anyone with the shower experiences with a small trailer and with limited resources and storage capacity.  Nothing worse than lathering up with soap and finding out the water level is below the pump's ability to supply water.  

As for re-priming the pump, try filling the FW tank up to the top, burping the T@B water system (when the tank starts to spit water back out, stop the fill process,  let it calm down some and begin filling it again until water comes up to the top and out the water fill port onto the ground) and activate the pump again.  If no water is coming out and the pump continues to run do the following:

1.  Let the pump continue to run and:

a.  Open up the sink faucet handles to allow any air in system to escape.

b. Flush toilet and hold handle in the flush position for a few seconds to allow air to escape.

c.  Open up the shower faucet handles to allow any air in system to escape.

d.  Let the pump run a bit, turn it off and repeat above steps as necessary until the system pressure rejuvenates itself.

I have found that by simply flushing the toilet a few times, this releases air trapped in the system.   If the above doesn't work you should also place a towel beneath the water pump (to catch water), unscrew the filter from the pump, inspect it and remove any debris that might possibly be collected there.  

You will figure it out and get this process down pat after practicing what works best for you.  It is unfortunate to experience these small irritations in life, but through practice, perseverance and diligence you eventually will figure the process out.  The tank monitor system isn't perfect, but it is an effective means of monitoring all three tanks and the battery voltage and is much nicer than guessing, ending up standing in gray water in the shower, ending up with no water or finding out late that the black water tank is in need of being emptied.   There will always be trapped water in the FW tank as the manufacturer's design doesn't permit it all from being drawn out and that is the unfortunate truth and a nuance that is no doubt experienced by anyone who has an RV, whether a T@B, Airstream, etc.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    My "water-filling" system is similar to Mike's.  The only difference is I place the jug on the propane tank box and I added an inline valve (from plumbing supply at Home Depot) so I can turn the water on and off.  I have the original fresh water port.

Mike's steps for getting the air out of the system are exactly what I do, and I also don't have any problems getting the system pressurized.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Our tanks are very shallow so just the slightest angle front to back can make a big difference as to weather the pickup point in the tank is under water or sucking air. I believe the pickup draws from the  side of the tank and not the bottom. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    RuntarootiRuntarooti Member Posts: 76
    So would it help to tilt half a bubble towards the pickup point? I don't have a propane fridge to worry about for "levelness"
    2015 T@B Max CS-S Silver and Black
    Goes where it's towed to by 2017 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410

So would it help to tilt half a bubble towards the pickup point? I don't have a propane fridge to worry about for "levelness"

It would. Depending on where the pickup is.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    davel4wadavel4wa Member Posts: 91
    Re. Propane absorption type refrigerators, you will find that modern versions are not as subject to out of level problems as older units.
  • Options
    davel4wadavel4wa Member Posts: 91
    I'm not sure which water pump is used I'm the Tab series but pumps like Shurflow pumps are self priming. Having air in the line should not be a problem. If the the supply side line is not in the water, of course, that's not going to work. If that is the case then the the tank design is a problem. Manufacturers often times use a tank with a sloped or stepped bottom to reduce low water effects.