Surge Brakes

Comments

• mikesnewjourneymikesnewjourney Member Posts: 28
    We have been looking at a 2007 T@B with surge brakes and am curious if there is an electric brake retrofit possible?  We are new to the travel world and would like to be as safe as possible when traveling.  Thank you 
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited May 2017
    @mikesnewjourney, surge brakes are just fine. I have them on my 2014 T@B. After a small car pulled in front of me and then braked this past winter, I can honestly say they stop on a dime...or maybe a nickle in that case!

They do still need to be checked, and I have that done at the utility trailer business as they are tanking care of my bearings each year. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    edited May 2017
    Ditto. Mike, on our 2004 DM T@B, they worked very well, and I loved the simplicity of them. Only need to check brake shoes every so often to ensure they're properly adjusted and that sliding parts are lubed. Is yours like this?

Here's a diagram of how they work:

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,547
    If you figure it out, send me your surge brakes so I can retrofit my 2015!  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,160
    Here's another yea for surge brakes.

I thought we'd be getting the new electric brakes when we ordered ours, but instead got the last of the surge brakes on the line. 
    Thought i'd be disappointed, but quite satisfied.
    Simple and they work.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    Sounds like the surge brake system works fine.   Has anyone ever replaced the drum brakes? 
    I kind of curious about the sealed bearings and their maintenance? Thank you all for your fantastic input  I appreciate all the help

Yes Irving , the surge brake system is exactly as you pictured them.   I do believe they will work OK. Thanks again for your input