Golf Cart batteries install

I posted this in another discussion and decided to post here too as new discussion to make sure it gets seen, so, sorry for the duplication.
I live in Colorado and camp a lot here. I have heard a lot about GC batteries and want to get them but they do not fit into existing battery holder on T@B. Unfortunately, have not developed handyperson skills thru my life.(i am trying now!!) Anyone out there who can give me a step by step on this procedure? or direct me to one already on this site? Must be very remedial, however!!!! I am about to purchase a regular interstate battery that fits just to be done with it but I love the idea of GC batteries and a little solar. The mountains are  beginning to call me and I want to be ready. We just had a bunch of snow up there so may be a while.  I'll head to Arizona and Utah and New Mexico until it melts. Thanks!!!
Barbara in Durango... T@B Max S 2015...Red & White... pull with 2016 Toyota Forerunner

Comments

• RuntarootiRuntarooti Member Posts: 76
    @9Jethro was more than helpful in posting some pictures and describing how he installed 2- 6v in his standard tub. He only had to move the battery shutoff and propane valve, both very simple to do. Just unscrewing screws, sealing the holes, and re attaching with the self tapping screws. Only a screwdriver is required. The hardest part is lifting the very heavy batteries into the tub, you may need a strong helper.
    I can post the pictures and messages he sent to me, if he ok with that. 
    2015 T@B Max CS-S Silver and Black
    Goes where it's towed to by 2017 Subaru Outback
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    When @Runtarooti said you might need a buddy to help lift the batteries.... not kidding! 68# a piece. My back's limit is 50#. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • geekmamageekmama Member Posts: 107
    @Runtarooti if you could post any pictures of 6 volt battery installs that would be great. I've asked my dealer to do it when my t@b comes in (any day now, fingers and toes crossed) and I'd like to be able to show them pics if necessary.
    Aileen, Muggles & Scout @ 2018 T@b CS-S @ 2018 RAV4 Adventure @ Massachusetts
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    Lots of 6v install threads and most have pictures...copy this into the search engine of your choice....

6v battery install site:tab-rv.vanillaforums.com

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • geekmamageekmama Member Posts: 107
    Thanks, I have gone through the ones that are in the forum and have downloaded some pictures. I just figure it's always good to have more especially as it relates to moving those two things the OP mentioned.
    Aileen, Muggles & Scout @ 2018 T@b CS-S @ 2018 RAV4 Adventure @ Massachusetts
  • 9Jethro9Jethro Member Posts: 15
    @Runtarooti, no problem with sharing anything on this forum. Hope it helps out. 
    edited May 2017
    @9Jethro sent me a detailed description on how to mount 2 - 6v in a standard tub very easily....Very helpful. THANKS @9Jethro !!!! His description and pictures below. He gave me permission to post.

I only had to move my battery cut off switch and propane regulator mount to the sides a little and turned my Propane tank 90 degrees. Took 3/4 inch plywood and cut it to dimension of the two batteries. Laid plywood on top of existing frame inside tub, put batteries on top and hand adjusted to fit. Took a 1 inch ratchet strap and went around frame and batteries and tightened. Cut off excess strapping and secured ratchet with a zip tie to prevent accidental opening. My batteries were from Costco and they are heavy. Used a strap to tie to sides of batteries to make lifting and removing a little easier. (battery has a little tab with slot on each side). Also made a little plastic battery cover to keep water off top. Hope this helps. Glad to answer any other questions.

I asked how to move the propane regulator on the diamond plate. He said:
    The bracket was mounted with two self tapping screws into the diamond plate aluminum using caulking. I just removed bracket, cleaned up old caulking, applied new caulking and mounted to new location. Don't forget to fill any old holes from previous mount with caulking to prevent water from entering.  

You can see he also moved the battery cut-off switch over a little to open things up. GREAT MOD.

• Z_GZ_G Member Posts: 38
    This mod also works for two 12volt batteries ... with removing the pvc tube next to propane tank for a touch more wiggle room
  • HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    @Runtarooti can you give us details on the batteries you used?  I can see they are Interstate and I believe AGM...  can you provide a bit more info (wondering how many amp hours!)

(Also, thanks so much for sharing the write up and the pictures and to @9Jethro for giving you permission to post the original details!)

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

@9Jethro purchased the 2  6v batteries at Costco Item #858234. They weigh about 57# each, 207 AH. 
  • ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    If you have a Batteries Plus store around you they sell a Duracell 6V 230AH battery for $109.  They weight 65 pounds, though.  I have two of these and so far they have worked just fine.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited May 2017
    I purchased two 6-volt Interstate golf cart batteries at Costco for about $82 each (plus sales tax), plus a $15 core return fee.  I also set them easily into my diamond plate tub, side by side and installed them while traveling through Arizona in a roadside park in about 15 minutes.  They fit into the tub like a glove and have given me peace of mind and greatly increased my power caiacuty for the T@B.  Very satisfied with these batteries, great deal at Costco and much cheaper than buying from an Interstate distributor!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
    edited May 2017
    @Michigan_Mike you said diamond plate tub, do you have an Outback or have you upgraded the tub from the standard to the Outback tub (the Outback tub is larger)?  Same with @ColoradoJon, I think you have an Outback too?  My dealer has said it's not possible to fit two 6v battieries in a standard tub, but have been open to trying it if I can show them some details on where it has been done before.

Sadly @Runtarooti I couldn't seem to pull up Costco details on that battery to measure size.  Do you know if they were wet/flooded or AGM?  I'd really like to put two 6v AGM batteries in the standard plastic tub if possible.

• ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @HR_Taly, Do a GOOGLE search through Interstate batteries. It will show you all the dimensions.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

edited May 2017
    @ericnliz sadly I had tried! :( That item number doesn't pull up, and if pulling up all Interstate batteries I'd only be guessing at the ones that people made fit. With such a tight space (and dealers saying it's impossible) I was hoping to get the actual battery model as then I know it has been done... (has been done, can be done, right? :) )

@HR_Taly, What model # are you looking for? I'll help 'ya.
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

HR_Taly said:
    @Michigan_Mike you said diamond plate tub, do you have an Outback or have you upgraded the tub from the standard to the Outback tub (the Outback tub is larger)?  Same with @ColoradoJon, I think you have an Outback too?  My dealer has said it's not possible to fit two 6v battieries in a standard tub, but have been open to trying it if I can show them some details on where it has been done before.

Sadly @Runtarooti I couldn't seem to pull up Costco details on that battery to measure size.  Do you know if they were wet/flooded or AGM?  I'd really like to put two 6v AGM batteries in the standard plastic tub if possible.
    I own a 2015 T@B Maxx S model and got rid of the plastic tub and purchased the larger diamond plate tub, which I would say is the same tub used on the Outback model.  the Costco golf cart batteries incidentally are wet cell batteries (approx. $82 each and with $15 core fee).   here are some photos of my trailer battery bank set up.

ericnliz said:
    @HR_Taly, What model # are you looking for? I'll help 'ya.
    Runatrooti quoted "2  6v batteries at Costco Item #858234. They weigh about 57# each, 207 AH".  How's your google fu?  I found several posts referencing them but no specific details to gauge size.  I'm afraid I don't have a Costco membership or else I'd pop in! 

(Again, working on a dual battery set up to fit in a standard non-Outback tub).

edited May 2017
    @HR_Taly, After researching the Interstate 6v golf cart batteries per their website, here's an average of the height, width, and lengths.
    Length: 10.21 to 10.3
    Width:7.125 to 7.13
    Height: 11.13 to 11.88
    The closest I could find as far as weight (58#), and AH (210) is the GC 2-HCL-UTL
    I could not get the Costco model #858234 to accept at all through the Costco, nor the Interstate sites.
    The above dimensions depend on which model # you choose for your application.
    The Model # (Interstate) is right on top of the battery. You might ask either @Michigan_Mike, or @Runtarooti to take a look-see and get back to you so you'll have more specific info. I believe the info I just gave you as far as the Interstate # reflects what @Michigan_Mike used for his application.
    Spokane, Wa.

My trailer is currently in storage but I will measure the batteries when I return to it in the next few days.  
    @HR_Taly, Correction on @Michigan_Mike's batteries: GC 2-ECL-UTL
    Info for these is as follows: Length:10.25
                                               Width:  7.13
                                               Height: 10.98
                                               Weight: 62#
                                               AH:       225
    Spokane, Wa.

@Michigan_Mike, Don't need to sir, I did the leg work for 'ya! ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    edited May 2017
    If you have a Batteries Plus store around you they sell a Duracell 6V 230AH battery for $109.  They weight 65 pounds, though.  I have two of these and so far they have worked just fine.
    These are what I got.  Great batteries built by East Penn, with the Duracell label on them.

Often, batteries plus does online specials, where you buy online and pickup in store, offering a 10% discount.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
    @wizard1880 - I just stopped in and they gave me a 10% discount just for being a nice guy :)

@HR_Taly - yes, I have the Outback model with the larger diamond plate tub.  All I had to do is remove the old 12V battery and place a spacer on the bottom to clear the screw heads that hold the tub to the frame.  I cant say for sure but I think it is possible to fit them in the standard tub if you move things around?
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    There are a few owners who have placed two golf cart batteries in their original tub. Cbarnhill has photos of hers on the forum. A search of golf cart batteries will get you photos and some good information. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • luvmytabluvmytab Member Posts: 66
    wow, so much good info, has really helped. So, am down to choice between:

Napa 6v golf batteries (Napa here in town says it is the same exact as Interstate), price is $141 each plus core charges 

Duracell GC2 at Sams Club, an over 100 mile round trip to Farmington, NM. $85 each, does not say if there is a core charge.

link: https://www.samsclub.com/sams/duracell-golf-car-battery-group-size-gc2/prod3590228.ip?xid=plp:product:1:2

Have already gone to Napa and measured theirs, think I'll make the cardboard template as suggested here, to make sure I can find proper placement. And yes, they are verrrrrry heavy batteries.

After reading so much on this forum, I felt assured my son can do any Macgyver-type changes with tools and screws to increase footprint of battery holder.

I thought about placing batteries on the tongue as Jenn suggested, but I do so much primitive camping and tend to be away from camp hiking a lot that I probably will stick with the factory provided space.

Any votes on which battery to choose? I like the idea of Sams Club Duracell, much cheaper but will cough up for the Napa if I get solid feedback based on your experience.
    Barbara in Durango... T@B Max S 2015...Red & White... pull with 2016 Toyota Forerunner
    Here is a listing of the state environmental fees

http://batterycouncil.org/?page=State_Recycling_Laws

Sam's Club will warranty their batteries and if it were me I probably would buy their batteries and save the cash.  Costco has a similar deal around $82 each and I purchased two 6-volt batteries in Albuquerque.
    $85 is not bad at all.  215 amp hours on those Duracells.  You would be saving $112 over the Napa batteries.  I would go that route, even with the long drive :)

Do yourself a favor and get the battery handle!  Something like this:

https://www.solar-electric.com/battery-carry-handle-strap.html

Says it is for Trojan and Crown batteries but will work on any of the GC2 brands.
  • luvmytabluvmytab Member Posts: 66
    Checking out Michigan_Mikes link.....looks like New Mexico might not even charge a core fee, I guess I will find out when I head that way on Monday!

• Dave28Dave28 Member Posts: 40
    Thank you T@B Forum for providing very helpful guidance that enabled me to switch my single 12 volt battery in for 2 each 6 volt batteries in a series! I got the 6 volt golf batteries at COSTCO for around $84 each plus a $15 return battery deposit.