Options

Fan-Tastic--Am I missing something?

Just bought a 2017 CS-S. This forum has already helped me resolve a couple of issues, and it hasn't even left my driveway yet, so thanks! This problem has to do with the Fan-Tastic vent. Like a previous poster, I don't even know what model I have, and the manual addresses of variety of them. This one is obviously pretty basic. 

When I unlock the dome and turn the hand crank, it only raises about half an inch. I can't even tell if the motor works, as it apparently doesn't operate unless the dome is properly opened, so I'm stumped. Am I doing something wrong, or do I have a faulty fan?

Comments

• Options
    MitchMitch Member Posts: 8
    Additionally, the manual says I should be able to pop the screen ring off to access the fan (for cleaning, ostensibly, but I'd like to see if the dome cover is sticking), but there's no way that plastic ring will budge without breaking. Anything?
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    The fan has a cutoff switch that will not allow it to run with the cover in the closed position. 1/2" may be within the switch limit. Standing in the cabin looking up, pull down the round bug screen.  It may take some effort, but will come off. Facing the rear of the cabin, look up into the fan's right corner. You should see a black plastic hook that grabs a long bolt. This is the lock for the cover. Simply reach in and move the plastic hook off the bolt.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    You may have to remove the clear plastic fan blades to get your hand in.  Very easy to do - just remove the screw in the center of the blades.
  • Options
    Thanks much for the speedy reply and helpful suggestions, Tabaz. I'll have to give it another go tomorrow.
  • Options
    Glad to help. Look closely at the round rim of the bug screen. You will see a small lip. Start pulling it down from there. Also make sure you clear the black knob used to open and close the cover. I too thought I would break the screen taking it off the first time. Good luck.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    There's a lock on the vent so it doesn't blow off. Make sure the lock is in the OFF position. Not to be confused with the round big black knob that opens the vent cover. There is a switch that prevents the fan itself from operating until the vent is open a certain height (oops just like Tabaz said). That screen is stubborn, but does come off! Promise.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Thanks again, Tabaz. It turned out to be an easy fix. The center screw in the crank was too loose to raise the dome cover. A good tightening, and I'm good to go. I might never have recognized this, however, without your encouragement in popping the screen off. I was terrified that it'd snap.
  • Options
    Excellent Mitch!! I'm glad you are good to go. I was so afraid that screen would snap too, but folks here assured me it would come off. I think I was gritting my teeth and looking outta one eyeball as I pulled it off. It came off as described and thought "Hey, these peeps on this here forum know wut they're talking about!" Even if a few of us don't know, we are masters at derailing a thread until problems are figured out. :lol:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    seejayseejay Member Posts: 12
    edited June 2017
    I am having similar issues with my new 2017 Tab. I'm not able to crank the dome cover up/down nor move the locking mechanism (it was stuck in lock position. I popped the screen off and noticed that the lock hook was on the wrong side of the peg yet I couldn't raise the dome to move it back.
    So I pushed the dome up a bit with my hand. I repositioned the locking mechanism but now I cannot lower the dome as the handle just spins. I even got on top of my Tab and looked inside but all parts are concealed.
    I just noticed that Mitch previously posted that he tightened the screw on the knob and voila I now can lower/raise the dome with a screwdriver. But the handle still does not work it just spins. I would prefer not to use a tool each time I want to open/close the vent. I've noticed on the Fan-tastic Vent website they are not using this nob any more. Mine looks like a pull handle for a lawnmower. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    seejay said:
    I am having similar issues with my new 2017 Tab. I'm not able to crank the dome cover up/down nor move the locking mechanism (it was stuck in lock position. I popped the screen off and noticed that the lock hook was on the wrong side of the peg yet I couldn't raise the dome to move it back.
    So I pushed the dome up a bit with my hand. I repositioned the locking mechanism but now I cannot lower the dome as the handle just spins. I even got on top of my Tab and looked inside but all parts are concealed.
    I just noticed that Mitch previously posted that he tightened the screw on the knob and voila I now can lower/raise the dome with a screwdriver. But the handle still does not work it just spins. I would prefer not to use a tool each time I want to open/close the vent. I've noticed on the Fan-tastic Vent website they are not using this nob any more. Mine looks like a pull handle for a lawnmower. Any suggestions?
    You should speak to your dealer first for a resolution as your unit is under warranty for a year.  If it goes up and down with a screw driver it might be as simple as a different handle, longer screw to keep the handle in place, etc.  Either way it does sound like a manufacturer/distributor defect and your dealer should be able to resolve the issue. If not,  your next stop would be the factory warranty rep, Marvin Raber.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    The fantastic fan people are amazing. Since it's considered an an appliance and has its own warranty, I'd advise speaking to them first. Be armed with the model of your fan. You can find it under the screen when you pull it off.
  • Options
    seejayseejay Member Posts: 12
    edited June 2017
    Thanks Ratkity and Michigan Mike for your advice! I would never have found the model #. I will be making some calls today.
    UPDATE: Before making some calls about this I decided to put some muscle behind tightening the knob screw. It worked:)