Alde hot water leak

DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409

Well I guess it is my turn in the barrel. Our has a drip drip where the hot water line exists the tank. The red "T" is dripping where It connects to the brass fitting on the Alde. I am using a pressure regulator. It apparently not a pressure issue. Because it drips when on city water or with the pump. Does anyone know how to release the tubing from the "T"?
  1. Hash  T@B Fun

Comments

• ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Dalehelman, Not having to take apart the new style plumbing as of yet, no I don't. Have you run this one past @Pop-T@B (Shawn) yet? I think that would be a good place to start, or perhaps @ScottG, or @ChanW could chime in.??? Hard to see from the photo, but does the brass fitting screw on to the tube coming out of the tank? I would think if you could disconnect it from there so you could get a better look at the "T" connection function it might help. Anyone else got any ideas, solutions? Thanks.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    I'm at work so can't do extensive research, but I scanned you tube for pex plumbing installation and there's a ton of stuff up there. I saw how to connect these fittings; but, unfortunately, not how to disconnect. It "seems" as though you push the black rings towards the tee when inserting into the tee, so maybe pushing towards the tee and then simultaneously pulling back on the pex tubing will release it?
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    I'm not familiar with those fittings, but if I was going to guess I would say what marknjudy said.

Along the lines of what Eric suggested, I would probably try to unbolt the brass nut from the Alde, then replace both the nut/connector and the red valve-thingy. That would ensure you are starting with all new materials at the point of failure.

Those connections don't seem all that robust to me, so I'm curious to hear how you eventually get them apart and replaced.

2015 T@B S
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Dalehelman, my hot water hose came loose one morning...just popped out of the fitting. I pushed it back in, I check it every time I think of it, and (knock on wood) it has stayed in place. I have no explanation why it popped off. I was in the desert on solar power using my freshwater tank. Luckily it doesn't leak. I'll have Austin check it when he does some other mods. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Pop-T@B said:
    Dale,  those fitting are a "push connect" style fitting , the way it comes apart is to push in on the black collet ( ring) while pulling outward on the fitting. The black collet has metal gripper rings in it that hold it to the plumbing. the sealing part is done with an 'O" ring inside the fitting. the "O" ring can be replaced, but the tick is finding the correct one.
    I have had very good luck with finding O rings in a variety of sizes at Home Depot and Lowes in the plumbing department. I would think a really good hardware store could help too.

(Geocachers often use small containers with O rings that need to be replaced periodically.)
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    Thanks Sean
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Pop-T@B said:
    Dale,  those fitting are a "push connect" style fitting , the way it comes apart is to push in on the black collet ( ring) while pulling outward on the fitting. The black collet has metal gripper rings in it that hold it to the plumbing. the sealing part is done with an 'O" ring inside the fitting. the "O" ring can be replaced, but the tick is finding the correct one.
    As Pop-T@B said:

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Nice pic, Mike! Dale, there are different size connectors. Some are half inch and some are 3/8 or less. Measure the outside of the hose before hunting for replacements. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    Got it apart thanks for all the help.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    @Dalehelman, So, now that 'ya got it apart, was it an "O" ring failure, or something else? From the descriptions provided by @Pop-T@B, @marknjudy, and @Michigan_Mike, do these fittings "snap" shut with the black collet (ring), and seal with an "O" ring? Just curious, and would be good info to pass along. Thanks!
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

I didn't see any O-rings in the videos, but I'd like to know too so I can toss a few in the tool bag if needed. Just an interesting (or scary) note: I'm sitting in the basement of a 17 floor hospital that is completely plumbed with this stuff. And my new house is as well. I hope it's the real deal! :s:o
    edited June 2017
    While it's not exactly the "test of time" I plumbed my house with PEX and (knock on wood) have had no issues in twenty years.

I should add that I used a "home run" layout--no fittings of any kind except at the source manifold and at the fixture. There are also none of the little check valves and other doodads such as those found in a camper.

The moral of the story is that while I think the PEX tubing itself is a good product, I'm more suspicious of the connectors, fittings, and accessories that are commonly used in such systems.
    2015 T@B S
    That's good to know, @scottg.
  • dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    When I replaced my faucet and had all the problems with my water pressure,there was a point where I thought I would need to remove the12" extension hoses I used to get the extra length I needed. Then replace the cold and hot supply hoses with longer ones. To do this I would need to have some specialty crimping tools that were very expensive. As fun as it is to learn new stuff and buy new tools, I'm glad I didn't need to for that job. Sounds like I may need them in the future though. Do you guys/gals ever feel like you need to be a well skilled handy person.... just to own one of these. 
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    dsatwork said:
    Do you guys/gals ever feel like you need to be a well skilled handy person.... just to own one of these. 
    No,, because we have so many owners who can walk us through our problems. Sure, being handy helps, knowing the difference between a blade type and a glass type fuse helps. And then we get owners like @DaleHelman and @Pop-tab who love to help, they just don't sit still, and they love to make mods on their T@B's. This forum continues to grow because we all help each other. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    When I plumbed my house I was able to borrow the required PEX tool from my local supplier. I think they were eager to have an owner-builder give this relatively new (at the time) product a test run. You might be able to do the same--or perhaps even rent the tool--it doesn't hurt to ask.

Anyway, I've never let lack of skill prevent me from buying a tool I felt I would get good use out it. After all, you gotta' learn those skills somewhere!
    2015 T@B S
    @ScottG, AND 'ya can NEVER have enough tools. ( Although renting one is a great alternative if you know it's only going to be a once, or twice event!)
    @Verna, Absolutely agree! I think ALL of us have received help here, and returning the help just seems like the right thing to do! :)
    Spokane, Wa.

Two words "Shark Bite" no tools needed and they are reusable.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    @Dalehelman, Gotcha! Thanks.
    Spokane, Wa.

Unfortunately all of the fittings coming off of the Alde are apparently metric. Then converted to inches down stream.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    Up date on the leak. It was not the plastic "T" O ring that is dripping. It's the threads on the brass fitting that screws into the Alde tank. Very strange the threads are not tapered as with US plumbing fittings. I am able to screw in brass fitting all the way to the shoulder with no resistance. There is no washer or seal. Even with teflon tape water can pass the threads. Apparently they use some sort of sealant on the threads. When I first removed the brass fitting it was very tight And there was some sort of  residue in the threads. Since I don't want the threads to be bonded permanently I am trying silicon on the threads. I also installed an O ring to shoulder. If this doesn't stop the drip I will contact Alde.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    @Dalehelman, thanks for the update. I'm surprised that you didn't at least find a copper washer, or seal at all on the fitting. Also surprised that Teflon tape wouldn't help either. The "o" ring, and silicon should work, just seems it would have a better seal at that junction. I'd be curious to know what the installer used for sealant. Did you look in the Alde book for installation for that fitting? ( Back portion of the Alde manual.) I haven't had a reason to look, but it appears pretty concise for the install instructions as I browsed through them. 
    Spokane, Wa.

• SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    Wonder if someone grabbed the wrong fitting.  I believe :confounded:? there are some metric threads that will accept a  U.S.standard thread but then would not seal as a result.  There are definitely with nuts and bolts where this happens.  Sort of explains why it screws on so far.  Just thinking.

Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

Interesting thing is that it didn't leak for almost three years. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    I suspect it has something to do with multiple temperature fluctuations, not to mention the mechanical abuse of being bounced around.

There is "pipe joint compound" that comes in a tube and is used for sealing threaded plumbing connections. Your description suggests that what was used originally, and it apparently degraded over time.

Please follow up with your final resolution. My T@B is also approaching the three-year vintage and I like having these potential issues (and their fixes) in the mental file.
    2015 T@B S
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I think someone has a mental file on me... could be someone here! :wink:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    For when your mental file gets too full...

2015 T@B S
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We are driving between campgrounds but I'll try to post a pic later. IIRC the fitting on my Alde looks quite different, silver color and no threads. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
    @Photomom. Awaiting your photos. In my case threads are not  visible.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun