Options

North to Alaska...

VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
edited June 2017 in Camping & Travel
Left Spokane Thursday 6/8, overnighted in Kootenay National Park, then through Lake Louise to Jasper National Park and now, 3rd night, in an RV Park in Grand Prairie, Alberta.   After the first 800 miles, monsoon like rains first two days and nights, a bit of snow this morning not sure Mary Kay as excited about the next 1600 miles to Anchorage.  But sunshine today was fun and outdoor rugs dried out!

We see T@B's often in states...none so far up here.  No chance to try my solar panel yet...maybe tomorrow night.   Not a lot of cell phone service but satellite radio works well.   

We never get tired of the Canadian Rockies, enjoy the photos.

Kim and Mary Kay
ps...how are these bugs getting through all our screens?   

Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,657
    My XM radio stopped about Tok or so..but the drive was so fun I hardly noticed!

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    ClaudeAClaudeA Member Posts: 54
    Enjoy your trip.  The ride from Banff to Jasper was one of our favourite sections.
    2016 CS-S silver and red, 2022 Toyota Sienna Hybrid
    Ottawa, Ontario
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357

Here's a solution for the bug issue from Photomom:

http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/47441/#Comment_47441

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    Have a safe and fabulous journey! We look forward to great stories at breakfast next fall!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Amazing trip! I bet you have some stories :)

P.S. The bugs just open the screens themselves. No one really knows when they got opposable thumbs. LOL.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Another night with wifi...on Muncho Lake in northern BC.  Tomorrow Yukon Province.
    Dawson Creek is official start of the Al-Can, their claim to fame. 
    Kiskatinaw Bridge is only remaining original from 1942, just off current route. 
    Boondocked last night and ALDE 'fan failure' required heating hot water on stove...today Spencer at ALDE had some suggestions (his encouraging words helped my mood), but bouncing along the highway fixed problem as boiler started up tonight!
    Fort Nelson has an awesome museum related to the Al-Can Highway among other amazing stuff.
    Wildlife and great expanse of northwest Canada continue to impress us.   Today 5 black bears, 8 Stone sheep, and 1 moose .  

Kim and Mary Kay

• Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    I'm enjoying this thread immensely. Please keep the pictures and commentary coming!
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Vikings, Be safe out there, great pictures! Keep 'em coming!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 905
    @Vikings - What a great T@bventure!  Love traveling along with you via your pics!  The Fall SpoT@b breakfast will be non-stop talk of all our fun adventures!  Be sure you are all keeping journals/logs.
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    Wow...Canada is BIG.  Still amazed at the immensity of BC and Yukon. 
    We are now about 1500 miles, or 2500 KM into trip.  Tonight in Whitehorse, and when pouring rain (actually had about 36 hours w/ no rain) we decided to eat out, and over next two hours sun came back. 
    About 18 hours of daylight today, a week or so prior to summer solstice.  
    Left Muncho Lake yesterday morning and first stop was at Laird Hot Springs...very cool.

Then we finally saw a T@B heading home...a white one with grey side panels.  If "you" check this let us know if you saw us. 
    Think we saw a grizzly munching something along the road along with a couple more black bear sightings.  Also 4 bison (biggest mortality impact is car hits...they use the roads just like we do).
    Next was Watson Lake...83000 signs...started by an injured soldier during ALCAN construction.  This wifi system not working too well....so you will have to trust me, lots of street signs and license plates.  And now photos out of order...

Last night at rudimentary Big Creek Campground...the fire smoke helped control the mosquitos.
    Kim and Mary Kay
    ps...bring a long handled car washing brush...TV and T@B very dirty...here in Whitehorse at Hi Country RV they have an RV wash but just spraying it ain't gonna' do it. 

• Options
    I still have grime on parts of my car from the rainy road construction sections.....
    2017 Outback
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    We drove up the same route, took the ALCAN highway all the way up to Fairbanks (also other routes and stops in-between) and drove the Cassiar highway back down.  We entered Alaska through Tok and enjoyed the trip immensely.  

So how is the amount of light up there at this time of the year (land of the midnight sun) as we were there in late July into August and there was virtual daylight all night long.   It was eerie walking around at night in daylight, seeing campgrounds and trailers and no one outside in the light.   It was quite an experience and it took some getting use to in order to fall asleep and get re-energized for the next day of travel!  

Great trip and the trip of a lifetime for sure!  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ClaudeAClaudeA Member Posts: 54
    Thanks for posting.  It's bringing back great memories form 2013.  Did you see my sign at Watson Lake lol.
    2016 CS-S silver and red, 2022 Toyota Sienna Hybrid
    Ottawa, Ontario
  • Options
    Make sure you drive down to Valdez....  And maybe you plan to or are on that route now since you camped in  Wrangell- St Elias National Park?
  • Options
    Great log and pictures... I have loved following you this way!  Keep it up!

• Options
    Wrangell-St. Elias provided some hiking opportunities which coincided with sun...
    Amazing mountains that happen to be everywhere. 
    What started it?
    While busting their butts they did have great views...
    42 miles into back country (rough gravel road, fjorded 4 smaller streams) we found several in-dwelling residents along with small airplanes and runways...
    11:30 PM June 17th...

The 18th we traveled south to southern Wrangell-St. Elias entrance, dropped trlr at campsite and drove 90 miles to Kennecott mine site...this is the glacier...and then mine buildings.
    Up close in this photo...
    All that grey is not mine tailings, rather it is glacier ice covered with rock, etc.  And while lower than mine buildings now, 100 years ago it was 100 feet ABOVE the buildings.  The big white part of glacier 4 photos above is to extreme right of this photo (you cant see it but explanation may help your orientation). 
    There is a little town, McCarthy, with 50 winter residents and 350 summer residents to service tourists...hamburgers, beer and wine were quite good.  The 90 miles in, 30 pavement, 60 smooth gravel, may not be to your liking however a giant moose jumped out about 100 feet in front of us on way out...worth the effort?  Unfortunately he did not wait around for us to find out camera...
    Braided rivers everywhere...this one flows into the Copper River, of Copper River Salmon fame. 
    Finally the above mountains from the western side...
    Tonight our second in Anchorage, in not the best but not the worst RV campground.  Tomorrow with pick up grandson at airport and head to Kenai. 

Kim and Mary Kay

• Options
    KatsKats Member Posts: 95
    You are making me homesick for my adopted state! I am a New Englander, but my alma mater is the University of Alaska, Anchorage. Enjoy the Great Land, and keep posting!
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Amazing!! Just awesome picts :heart:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    @Vikings, What an awesome adventure! Thanks ever so much for sharing your amazing photos along with descriptions. Nice journal!!!! :)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    If you get to Valdez(via a lot of frost heaves BTW) take the ferry to Cordova, home of the Copper River, Copper River Salmon. Somewhere there is the Eyak cannery. They also have huts of smoked salmon, and other goodies. I toured it in 1990 when I worked on Prince William Sound for the summer. Amazing sockeye there! The main hotel is The Reluctant Fisherman. Good food, and a bit spendy. Back then no one locked car doors. When I asked my boss why he said "Where would they go? there is one road out of town and it dead ends at the Million Dollar Bridge." Not to mention that everyone knows everyone! I loved Alaska!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Interesting!  I thought the mine looked familiar as it's been shown on TV with the McCarthy footage and residents who were either supportive or unsupportive of tours and tourism in general.  Obviously a lot of it is scripted, the guy who owns the hotel in McCarthy also owns the makeshift power grid and was behind allowing tourists access to the old mine and operations therein.  It looks like a beautiful area and appreciate you sharing your trip and photos!  
  • Options
    I am laughing!  Good for you to make it work... A trip of a lifetime for all three of you!

• Options
    @Vikings, Thanks for the good chuckle from another fellow Spokanite! I'm laughing mostly from the "been there, done that" syndrome, from the knife at the airport, to the sardine can with the grandson! You're on an adventure all three of you will cherish for years to come. The laughs have just started, the memories will be forever! Thanks for sharing, and remember....they DO sell tents at Cabela's! :rofl:
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    Great story! I have to say, I am enjoying the two travelogue threads that are running right now - this one and the one about 1st vacation (or something like that). We should have more of these!
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    Perhaps I was too hard on Seward…while not blinding you could almost tell where the sun was on Thursday, June 22.  Another older T@B has been parked here but have not seen owners.  500 sites in this Seward city campground, though not all for RV's.  
    As you can see the sardines fit in the T@B nicely when upright.  

We had a great zip line experience.  The package guy loved it and Grandma did well too. 

On Friday a cruise to Holgate Glacier was well worth the cost:  Bonus points for those who can spot the T@B, (photo from cruise boat deck) in forest of motor homes,

sea otters,

sea lions,

Orca’s, yes, zoom required...

and even three North Pacific Humpback Whales were spotted.  No documentation of humpbacks…you will have to trust that I did see the flukes going down.
    The glacier was impressive…zoom photo and you will see a 30 foot boat within 500 feet of ice which gives more perspective on size.  

The return trip was a bit boring for the package, but I am proud he has learned to nap like Grandpa.
    Saturday morning Mary Kay saw some blows from our campground, and you can see the weather has improved immensely.   Was I too hard on Seward earlier? 

Zip line guy told us about a salmon weir just a couple of miles from Seward and we found it Saturday AM.  Turns out they just count the salmon there, and perhaps limit number into Bear Lake, though not sure why.
    Look hard and you will spot several salmon heading upstream 50 feet below the weir shown above. 

We then did a short 1 mile in, 1 out hike to toe of Exit glacier, again within miles of Seward.  

After that it was off to city of Kenai on the west side of this peninsula.  Tonight is just beautiful, not a cloud in the sky…well maybe there are some still around 10,000 ft. Redoubt Volcano, across the bay.  Sundown is at 11:39 and with no clouds this will be a bright night.   

This Russian Orthodox Church has been here since 1894.  

On towards Denali tomorrow.   We hope weather holds so we can see it! 
    Kim, Mary Kay and the "package"

• Options
    Good luck in Denali! 

There is a "tidal bore" event on the Turnagin Arm the next two evenings.  Not til about 5:30 or 6 pm, so it may not fit in the Denali drive schedule. 

http://www.alaska.org/advice/alaska-bore-tide

2017 Outback
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @Vikings your wonderful posts and pics are bringing back so many happy memories for me, and showing me things I didn't see in Alaska, too! Thanks! When you took the boat tour from Seward what was the name of the glacier you went to? We sailed to Mears glacier once a week all summer, the only ones there, and it was amazing, especially when it calved! I did take a tour to Talkeetna and saw the spirit houses in the cemetery. Interesting place! Again, thank you!
  • Options
    pthomas...did not see tidal bore because through area about noon...but tides were way out so we can understand how a wave might develop, something I did not know about.
    Homebodyatheart...Holgate Glacier, but saw many others also...but up close and personal to Holgate.  We also did not make it to 
    Valdez...turned east at the road to McCarthy/Kennecutt.  

To those interested in the tipping of the planet...aka daylight change...last night clear, sunset was at 1130 pm and rise at about 4 am, and virtual daylight all night long...sun came up on same side of trailer as it set on...

Kim and Mary Kay