Maxxfan Mod

I finished this project this weekend (with help from my brother-in-law). I really like this Maxxfan Deluxe and I can't wait to get it out and use at a campground. Thanks for all of the great threads on this subject. There is one thing I do want to mention that others may or may not have encountered. I have a 2017 T@b and I discovered when I was putting screws into the mounting flange that I was hitting the aluminum support around the fan opening and buckling the surface of the T@b. We ended up using self-tapping #8x1" stainless screws and everything worked perfectly. I guess we could also have pre-drilled pilot holes for the screws, but I did not want to take the chance of going in too far. Anyway everything worked out fine and I have a great new vent fan!  Dave

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Yes, it is a great fan!  Enjoy!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • mannymanny Member Posts: 108
    Sam,  on the photo camp site post I see you have a tab tent room is that the one that was on sale.. they said it would not fit clamshell mod.  ?  did u get from teardrop shop or direct from Pahaque?... Manny
    2017  T@B CS-S Max ...  2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Pahaque had it in their Outlet online store.  Only one. Used at a show/demonstration.  CS specific.  Doesn't match, but could not pass up the deal.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    You will love the fan. So nice to not worry about rain. And yes, we do use the remote so we don't have to get up. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    I just installed this fan this weekend and have a question - the instructions say that the minimum roof thickness is 1 1/8", and my T@B roof is only 1".  I built a wood frame out of pine trim to shim it out but after the install it looks like it really isn't necessary?  There appears to be plenty of room on the garnish ring.

It would be easy enough to remove the wood frame and I would prefer to do so.  The wood frame drops the headroom down 3/4".
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    @Photomom We do too :grin:

Love this fan.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 583
    edited April 2019
    I had my new MaxxFan Deluxe 6200K installed today! Thanks to several discussions here and for the Fantastic Fan upgrade, and much analysis, I decided on the MaxxFan manual version, 10 speed, 6200K. I went with this version as it offers: 10 speeds, low profile cover, no rain sensor, manual open/close so I can decide how far open I want it, operates as a ceiling fan when cover closed, and of course pulls air in or exhausts. It also has a temperature control. When closed it appears to be maybe 2" taller than the stock Fantastic Fan cover. I store my trailer in my garage, so to be safe, yesterday I hitched up and pulled it out to ensure another 2" would be safe and of course it is. (I have an 8' garage door opening). 

Also to be safe, I contacted Creed at NuCamp to ensure nothing special had to be done, and he said no. I was a little concerned about the stated minimum roof thickness, but no modification was required. We did not need to use any shims.

I had a mobile RV guy come to my house to install it for me. His hourly rate is the same as brick and mortar shops, but he also charges a house call fee. Well worth it for me as he was done in less than two hours and I could watch and not have to leave the trailer somewhere.

He unscrewed the four FF screws inside, then used a knife to cut the caulking up top, and pried off the fan and cleaned off residue on the trailer. He used butyl tape (like putty) to adhere the flange to the trailer. He predrilled the four holes for the screws as was suggested and installed the top. He used a thick tape called Eternabond rather than the goopy, messy Dicor caulking stuff to seal. He said it holds real well for years. He then cut the inside frame to the correct depth and it was done.

As others have noted, this fan is wonderful! It's so quiet I had to ask the guy if it was on. Now I have a fan that uses much less energy than the Fantastic Fan three speed, has a rain cover, looks great, all speeds work, and it's quiet, did I say that already?! Oh happy day!!

Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    Glad to read your positive review. I'm having the same model installed in our 2020 320 BDL when it comes off the line (soon, we hope!). 
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • Adam_HoughAdam_Hough Member Posts: 11
    Agree..it is a much better fan and we don’t worry about the rain anymore in the PNW
  • klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    that is a very good price indeed
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    Does one have to be a member to get that price?
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 583
    I don't think you need to be a member, but you could try going through the check out process. I am a member of the Good Sam club and was able to use a 10% off coupon off the sale price when I bought mine earlier this year. I think I paid $211 for the manual version. 
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5