Options

Charging with new golf cart batteries question

I am in the process of hooking up my new golf cart batteries. I was going to plug in my T@B to fully charge it, like I do every year and I was told that by friend I did not need to do that this year because i have the new fully charged golf cart batteries. In fact, he says it could even ruin my batteries. I am confused.....advice is welcome and appreciated. Thank you!
Barbara in Durango... T@B Max S 2015...Red & White... pull with 2016 Toyota Forerunner

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The converter is used to charge the batteries, so it will maintain the charge in the batteries.

Some say they leave the converter connected all the time, some connect the power occasionally to maintain a charge.

I've been connecting power for two or three weeks, disconnect the power for a week or so, connect it, etc. In the past, I have also used a Battery Tender Jr to maintain the battery charge between trips. And, yes, I do have the dual 6V golf cart battery set-up in my T@B. 

And there will be many opinions of what is best for you, so do some reading here about trickle charging, maintaining a charge and using the converter and decide what is best for you. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    Like @Verna explained there is no issue with connecting power and allowing the converter to maintain your new batteries.  To expand on that a bit - the converter on the TAB is a 3 stage charger.  If the batteries truly are fully charged the converter will switch to maintenance mode and keep your new batteries topped up.  It will not damage your batteries.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    luvmytabluvmytab Member Posts: 66
    so, if i heard your both correctly, at this point, since we are heading out in a few day for this years "maiden journey" (can't wait!) and prob will not have time to fully educate myself on maintenance,etc of my new batteries...suffice to say I can plug it into power for my own peace of mind and it will not hurt anything....still not sure if it is necessary or not as I am so green on electrical language and concept....but sounds like I will be educated and actually understand what a converter is.  thanks!
    Barbara in Durango... T@B Max S 2015...Red & White... pull with 2016 Toyota Forerunner
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    A converter (converts) 110 volt energy to 12 volt, which is why you can charge a 12 volt battery from a 110 volt outlet.  An inverter (converts) 12 volt energy to 110 volt energy, which allows you to use your battery's 12 volt energy to power 110 volt appliances.  A T@B comes equipped with a converter; it does not come equipped with an inverter.  Note, however, that an inverter can drain your battery fairly quickly if you are using your batteries (through the inverter) to power 110 volt appliances.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    What @JohnDanielsCPA said :)

And yes, you can plug in  your camper and hook up your batteries without hurting anything.  My 230Ah Duracell batteries were *not* fully charged when I bought them so it's good insurance to do so :)

Enjoy your first trip of the year!
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    Make sure your battery cut off switch is turned to "On" to charge/maintain charge.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio