Options

Can you use all the outlets at a campground pedestal?

we're currently attending a music festival where several RVs are attached to a single pedestal. From what I can tell it looks like most of them are using extension cords to plug into the 15(20?) amp outlets. If someone else were to plug into the 30 amp outlet would that trip all the breakers on that pedestal?

the gist of the question is how many RVs could attach to each pedestal? Could you use all three (a 30amp plus two 15amp outlets) or are they designed for only one or the other.

We've not had a lot of experience using electrical pedestals as we typically boondock but next year we're hoping to get here early to snag one of the pedestals if possible so we'd love to have an idea of whether we'd be able to share it with others.

Comments

• Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    I have heard some campgrounds that allow 2 rigs to use one pedestal but this is not the norm. And not extension cords-one used the 30 amp and one the 50 amp (with a 50-30 amp adaptor). These were 2 small rigs (like a tab) in one site. 
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,434
    Tripping a breaker is not about how much you plug in, but rather how much total power you try to pull through those outlets.

I'm not sure of the requirements for wiring campground pedestals. Without getting bogged in the details, it's conceivable that drawing from multiple outlets could overload the main feed to the pedestal. This could trip a main breaker (probably not accessible to you), or even create a fire hazard.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Torzanne said:
    we're currently attending a music festival where several RVs are attached to a single pedestal. From what I can tell it looks like most of them are using extension cords to plug into the 15(20?) amp outlets. If someone else were to plug into the 30 amp outlet would that trip all the breakers on that pedestal?

the gist of the question is how many RVs could attach to each pedestal? Could you use all three (a 30amp plus two 15amp outlets) or are they designed for only one or the other.
    If the pedestal is wired correctly (wiring is rated for the load, correct fusing, etc.) it will be good for the rated receptacle amperage (20A, 30A, etc.) that is mounted on the pedestal.   Many of the 20A receptacles you find in a 30A pedestal in parks today are GFCI style recepatcles and will trip off when a fault or imbalance is detected.   If the circuit is overloaded the worst that can happen is that it will trip a circuit breaker in the facilitie's fuse panel.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    We have shared a campsite with friends on occasion. They used the 50 Amp in their motor home, we used the 30 Amp with the T@B, and we used some of the 15/20 Amp 110 plugs for outside lights, toaster oven, outside microwave, etc. All worked just fine.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Also, on our annual Halloween trip where we decorate extensively, to give us a bit extra power, we use the 50 Amp with an adapter for the T@B, use the 30 Amp with an adapter to power a couple of power strips, then also use the four 15/20 Amp standard plugs. Plenty of power for all our orange twinkle lights, blowup decorations, outside fridge, microwave, toaster oven, etc.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    If each receptacle has its own breaker then using all the receptacles should not pose a hazard. If there are multiple receptacles but only one breaker on the post, you run the risk of tripping the breaker on the post. Not a big deal but sometimes the overload can also trip a main breaker and you could leave all your neighbours in the dark.
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,434
    I agree with KBaggins1 about the potential for tripping a main breaker. However, this could still occur even if every receptacle has its own breaker. What matters is the capacity of the main breaker for the pedestal, and that may not be readily accessible.

To illustrate, I have a 200A main breaker in my house feeding thirty 20A branch circuits. If I pull 10A through each branch circuit at the same time, the individual breakers won't trip, but the 300A total will trip the main breaker.

Just like in your house, pedestal circuits are almost certainly downstream from another breaker so this situation could occur if you draw power from too many branch circuits.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    edited June 2017
             You can overload anything if you try hard enough. A common convenience receptacle circuit in a house has 12 outlets allowed and you could try and plug a 1500 watt heater in to each of them. You would get the 2nd one turned on and the breaker would trip.
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base