What's Buggin' You--DIY Screen Room and Other Pest Defenses

ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
edited June 2017 in Modifications & Upgrades
Part 1: A Rant...

Last year's early June trip to New Brunswick found us battling blackflies and revealed the limitations of the T@Bs accordion screens as the walls became peppered with smucked insects. Oh well, we thought, they are awfully small--certainly mosquitoes won't be able to sneak around those edges...

Right.

Last week in the Adirondacks dispelled that myth. The screens aren't "limited," they are virtually useless for keeping out anything other than birds. Cute, yes--and clever with the little screen/shade integration--but a functional defense against bloodsuckers on the trail of a meal? Absolutely not. Oh sure, they keep out about 80% of the pests, but the remainder are smart enough to stroll around the edges of the screen and chow down. If you've camped in skeeter territory, you know that is not even remotely acceptable.

Fortunately, DW had sewn Photomom's hairnet style supplemental screens. They did trap quite a few of of the first wave, but the most determined just kept walking right around the edges of the net as well. While only 5% of the mosquito population now joined us in the camper, this is still not acceptable. I don't have this problem with the screens in my house--or my tent for that matter--so I darn well shouldn't have it in my expensive RV.

I'm pondering other alternatives to replace the T@B screens with something that actually works. Suggestions, ideas, and musings are most welcome! 
2015 T@B S

Comments

• jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    How about no-seeum netting with a Velcro edge around the perimeter?  I am very interested as I would like to return to that part of the country some day and have very vivid memories of how vicious those Black Flies are!

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    edited September 2020
    Part 2: A Screenroom...

DW's other winter project was screen panels that could convert the standard awning into a passable screened enclosure. While a version of this is commercially available, it's expensive and--more importantly--only does half the job. Back to the sewing machine...

The project consists of two panels: one to cover the front opening, and another to close the gap between the bottom of the trailer and the ground.

The front panel was relatively easy. A large rectangular panel with a central zipper was constructed. This was hung in the opening of the awning, and trimmed to fit its contour. For strength and a little more coverage at ground level, rip-stop nylon was added to the edges. Ties were sewn along the top edge to attach to the existing loops on the awning.

The bottom sides were left long enough so the screen could be wrapped around the awning and clipped to it with binder clips. Binder clips were also employed between the ties to close up some of the drooping that occurs on the top edge (see photo right). 

The lower skirt was bit more challenging. It consists of two screen/rip-stop panels that slide into the fore and aft keder rails and Velcro together just in front of the wheel well. The forward panel includes flaps that Velcro around the step. The aft panel has a flap that goes up over the wheel and ties around it. As with the front panel, rip-stop nylon edges provide extra ground cover and a means to wrap the panel around the outside edge of the awning where it is also secured with binder clips.

While this set-up is not nearly as tight as a fully enclosed tent, it worked surprisingly well for what it is. We certainly had a trial-by-fire opportunity to field test it in NY. It was particularly good as a sort of "air-lock" (bug-lock?) to reduce the number of critters that were able to access and bypass the screens on the door and passenger-side windows.

I can't provide specific instructions for making this--it was mostly designed on the fly and cut to fit on the spot. If you can sew, you can probably figure it out. I think the most important thing is to leave enough material to close the gaps between the awning, panels, and ground. I'll try to answer any questions as best I can.   

2015 T@B S
    jcfaber1 said:
    How about no-seeum netting with a Velcro edge around the perimeter?  I am very interested as I would like to return to that part of the country some day and have very vivid memories of how vicious those Black Flies are!
    Yep, I pondered the same idea--sort of an up-armored version of the "hairnets." Whatever it is it has to still allow access to the window mechanisms, and--if not a permanent installation--be something that is easy to stow.
    2015 T@B S
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We bought one of these screen houses years ago when we tent camped regularly in the Adirondacks. If we were heading into really buggy territory we'd take this instead of the T@B awning.

https://www.campmor.com/c/eureka-northern-breeze-screen-house?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItIzCrbjP1AIVh4KzCh1rJQY9EAQYAiABEgKPnPD_BwE
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    I know it's not solving the original problem, but have you maybe tried a Thermacell to help while you work on different options?  I haven't used one myself, but I have heard good things about them.

https://www.thermacell.com/

Please keep us updated on your screen alternatives and what you find out.  As someone that is unfortunately a mosquito magnet, I'm dreading my re-introduction to them!

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

• NewfisherNewfisher Member Posts: 105
    I use common home insect spray at the camp site and I spray window screens and door entry areas with it. Pet friendly product bought at any if the retailers and works great. You can go from our site to the next area over ( we boondock) and notice an immediate differece in bugs. Been using it for years and dogs are still alive. Was worried about it getting on thier paws. We also baby wipe them down before they come into the trailer.
  • TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    newfisher, when you spray your screens with bug spray, does it add an aroma to the inside of the camper?  Also, is it seem to be long lasting, or do you need to reapply often.  We use photomom's screen idea, ( we like it) and think that spraying would be something to consider.    Now that I think of it, we didn't make a screen for the door.  We will have to look into how that might be done.
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

"the most determined just kept walking right around the edges of the net as well"

My wife said not possible with ours.  The bungee fits tight around the edge.  I have to say that you can't tell that we have screens.  
      We bought the awning and also the front screen for outside.  All the screen did was trap all the bugs that can get in the sides, thus providing a ceiling swarm.  Haven't used the screen much, except for privacy.  Someone suggested a small plugin fan while sitting out. Mosquitoes don't do when in a breeze...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Rolltide82Rolltide82 Member Posts: 89
    No natz spray....thermacell and clam screen tent....bugs are horrible in Georgia
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    TerryV6 said:
    "the most determined just kept walking right around the edges of the net as well"

My wife said not possible with ours.  The bungee fits tight around the edge.  I have to say that you can't tell that we have screens.  
      We bought the awning and also the front screen for outside.  All the screen did was trap all the bugs that can get in the sides, thus providing a ceiling swarm.  Haven't used the screen much, except for privacy.  Someone suggested a small plugin fan while sitting out. Mosquitoes don't do when in a breeze...
    The mosquitoes in the Outer Banks have learned to fly against the sea winds!! Niece and I went to play volley ball on an unusually warm, but breezy November day after being in the hot tub. By the time we picked up the ball, you could see the swarm coming after us! They just emerged (starving) from behind some scrub bushes. Both of us screamed and jumped back into the hot tub. For some reason, the mosquitoes stayed away from the hot tub. She and I got bit a couple of times before reaching safety. I think them suckers could open the front door and let themselves in.... they bit hard too!!

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    TerryV6 said:
    My wife said not possible with ours. 
    Okey dokey.  ;-)

Okay, I mostly agree, though I stop short of "not possible." While the bungees fit pretty tight on the side windows, the curve of the front windows leaves a more passable gap. Mosquitoes are also pretty determined when on the trail of blood, and can apparently make themselves quite skinny. On top of that, all the bugs that end up smacked between the hairnets and the existing screen frames give the T@B a bit of a charnel house vibe. That said, the nets do make a big difference if you deploy them in a timely manner. (Thanks, again, Photomom!)

There are lots of good suggestions here for combating campsite critters, but they digress from my original point. I don't want to go back to wrestling a tent, or adding more equipment to the inventory. I rarely have power to plug in a fan. Spraying is a chore and has its own limitations. I normally get by with camp smoke and swatting, and the new screen panels for the awning (which is really what this post was supposed to be about--that was my digression!) provide an additional modest layer of defense if needed.

However, on the rare occasions that things get really bad, I should be able to retreat into my camper for a bug-free respite. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
    2015 T@B S
    edited June 2017
    Ratkity said:
    For some reason, the mosquitoes stayed away from the hot tub.
    I've got it! Turn on the Alde and fill the T@B with water. Instant bug free hot tub!  :-)
    2015 T@B S
    "screen panels for the awning (which is really what this post was supposed to be about--"

Sorry from here, not trying to hijack the thread.  We have the awning screen, which is worthless if you think you are getting bug protection.  I see how you are trying to remedy that.  In this regard, I think the tent camper addition might work better though.
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

No apologies needed, TerryV6--I kinda' hijacked my own thread before it even got started!

I do appreciate your review of the front screen panel. I had solicited opinions on that item right after they came out, but I don't think many people had purchased/used them at the time. The awning alone is pretty good at trapping bugs in the ceiling--your comments confirmed my suspicions that adding the front screen would only make that worse.

I will add that having the lower skirt pretty much eliminated that trapped swarm.
    2015 T@B S
    Hey @ScottG, ya ever try them electrified tennis racket-looking bug swatters? They're not much good for little things, but you can catch some of the bigger moths! Sometimes, you can catch your little sister on the arm too. LOL. They're pretty worthless, but fun sitting outside with a thermacell under or near the chair. Inside, I agree. It should be bug free and squishing bugs on the ceiling is a no-no.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Ratkity, A couple years ago, my friend's nephew thought he would see how strong the "ZAP" was with the tennis racket zapper after everyone had retired for the evening. He'd been "sipping" on some peach flavored moonshine....hmmm, mighta had somethin' to do with it!!!?!! First try was a tongue "touch". All we heard was a loud ZZAAAPPP, followed by some, shall we say "colorful" language. After two more succeeding tries at the same thing, everyone within ear-shot was laughin' so hard, no one was still sleeping! :rofl: Next day, he was shall we say a little embarrassed, :blush: and a LOT hung over! Still don't know if he tried it on bugs! :o
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The side windows in my 2014 T@B have the white screens which seem to be very effective with flying insects. I rarely open the front window, which is the 2015 black screen, so I don't have to worry about bugs coming in through that window. 

Off Topic, but relevant:

The battery operated fly swatter works on bugs!  But I haven't had the courage to try it on the wasps and hornets....I had to wait about 30 minutes for a few wasps and that pesky hornet to leave before I could get into the former camp store to get the receipt book for the firewood. 

The fan (battery powered O2, but cheating by plugging it into the 110V) worked to get rid of the white flies early this morning, and I turned on the Thermocell for good measure. Yes, this is outside the T@B. So far, only one fly has gotten in the T@B--it didn't last long!

Most of the bugs left when a 15 mph wind started. The remnants of Cindy will make for an interesting day tomorrow. I hope to be able to keep the visor up. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • RuntarootiRuntarooti Member Posts: 76
    edited June 2017
    @ScottG I love your awning mod and I think your DW deserves a badge and several Bravos. Excellent job!! :)
    I have just ordered the netting and I'm kind of wondering, about what size zipper she used #5, #3?.
    If she does have a tip or 2 that would be great. I can sew, but have never sewed net.
    2015 T@B Max CS-S Silver and Black
    Goes where it's towed to by 2017 Subaru Outback
    ericnliz said:
    @Ratkity, A couple years ago, my friend's nephew thought he would see how strong the "ZAP" was with the tennis racket zapper after everyone had retired for the evening. He'd been "sipping" on some peach flavored moonshine....hmmm, mighta had somethin' to do with it!!!?!! First try was a tongue "touch". All we heard was a loud ZZAAAPPP, followed by some, shall we say "colorful" language. After two more succeeding tries at the same thing, everyone within ear-shot was laughin' so hard, no one was still sleeping! :rofl: Next day, he was shall we say a little embarrassed, :blush: and a LOT hung over! Still don't know if he tried it on bugs! :o
    :rofl:
    @Runtarooti, DW used an "8mm" zipper. We're not sure how that translates, but it was what Seattle Fabrics recommended for tents and the like, and it does seem like the perfect size for this application. She also said sewing net didn't pose any particular challenge as opposed to any other fabric.

For the skirt, sewing onto the keder rail cord can be a little unwieldy, as it is quite stiff and tends to want to do it's own thing. However, it's manageable with a little patience. To get the curve of the panels just right, she made patterns by taping newspaper to the T@B and cutting along the keder rail.

I hope this helps. PM me if you have more specific questions and I can hook you up with DW herself!
    2015 T@B S
  • BythecoverBythecover Member Posts: 3
    We have just taken our 'maiden voyage' in our new T@B and loved it until about ten o'clock at night when the mosquitos found their way in around the edges of our screens.  This seems to be a major flaw to me.  After all, we camp to be in nature, not eaten by it.  My husband purchased some foam and filled the gaps in the accordians so the second night was fine but I object strenuously to a design flaw of this magnitude.  Has anyone contacted nuCamp about this issue?  I don't feel I should have to FIX my brand new toy.
    @Bythecover, clever idea using the foam as a quick fix, though I'm sure the implementation was a PITA. If you can make those "hairnets" they do help a lot.

I don't know what feedback has been provided to NuCamp. I suspect they source the screen/shade units from a third party vendor. The only real solution I can conjure is to ditch the existing frames and replace them with a proper double-sliding screen that would still allow access to the window hardware. (I do like the awning windows, even if they can be a little awkward to operate.)
    2015 T@B S
  • TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588

One option is for nüCamp to replace the current window design with the type that includes an integrated screen with sliding window. The interior shade would remain separate.

If awning windows are preferred they could switch to shade/screen units with a roll-out design on top and bottom, not an accordion. That should eliminate any gaps. Perhaps there is a source for this already.
    Ditto with the accordion screen door (switch to a roll-out design).

The current design could also be fixed with an upgrade that uses flexible accordion runners on the sides that hug the frame and hold the screen/shade. The runners could include soft bristle sweeps on the outside edge to provide a bit of float and ensure no binding. This design change would be up to the 3rd party shade unit provider to implement. Surely they must be aware of the bug/gap problem by now. This type of upgrade might be offered as a retro-fit kit.

Any change should also include no-see-um screening. :o

In the meantime I like the foam strip stopgap from @bythecover. ;)
    That's gotta help when you've got swarms to deal with.

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    By the way, I did send an email to nüCamp with links to both screen threads. Be patient, and I'll get back to you when I get an answer. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    Speaking of bugs, what about screens in the side vents?
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
    Roamey said:
    Speaking of bugs, what about screens in the side vents?
    If you are referring to the fridge and A/C vents, mine all had screens in stalled in them.

I looked long and hard for any place other than the windows where critters could be getting in.
    2015 T@B S
    edited August 2017
    @ScottG, looking back through your messages I'm guessing you have a 2015 T@B. The two side vents for fridge in the 2018 didn't have any screens. Don't know about the A.C., don't have any  
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
    @Roamey, yes, mine is 2015. Both the original vent and the upgraded vent with the auxiliary fan had screening attached. It's taped to the back of the ~2" deep vent, so it's a little hard to see from the outside.

I'm not familiar with the new fridge set-up, so I don't know why the vents would not include screens.
    2015 T@B S
    I had read an old thread about people complaining there were no screens for the bugs in the vents and PV responded that they were putting them in. That had me scratching my head as I looked at mine. 
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world