Options

Do I have enough strength to do this?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Ditto to what @Homebodyatheart said. If you're in an area where you could take advantage of a rental possibly, that would help with your decision. 'Ya just never know until you try! Good luck & welcome! :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
    @LuAnn - I'm also a solo female T@B owner and have hand arthritis which has impacted my strength considerably. I second Creamsicle's suggestion to put gloves on. I have a few pairs that have the "grippy" material and they help a lot while hooking up, unhooking and manhandling my 160w Zamp. Lastly there's been a few times I've enlisted a fellow camper to help but for the most part I've been able what comes my way. Let us know what you decide!
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    edited October 2017
    @mickietucs I've added a pair of channel lock pliers to my setup/takedown kit for the days my hands aren't strong enough to get the job done. They are especially handy at the water spigot connection! Those grip gloves are a great idea! Thanks!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Two pair of Vise Grips (and/or Channel Locks) come in handy if the water regulator somehow gets so tight it can’t be loosened, says the voice of experience.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    sunny70sunny70 Member Posts: 11
    New member here, love reading and learning from all your posts  (LuAnn love your determination).  What great insights from all your experiences.  I'm a senior gal close to purchasing a used 2016 Tab 320 S.  I've not even seen one yet in person, but the place I'm dealing with, a few hours away, says I can hook up and practice before making a decision.   I'm not new to rv's, have had many motorized in my life which I've handled by myself, but have not pulled a trailer for 40 yrs.  All your comments about work arounds are invaluable.  I'm excited to see a Tab and kick tires, etc.,  is there anything else I should pay particular attention to on a used unit?  It appears to be in great shape.  I plan on trips with my dog.  We're in MN, anybody else up here in the north country?   (Still having winter) 
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    sunny70 said:
    New member here, love reading and learning from all your posts  (LuAnn love your determination).  What great insights from all your experiences.  I'm a senior gal close to purchasing a used 2016 Tab 320 S.  I've not even seen one yet in person, but the place I'm dealing with, a few hours away, says I can hook up and practice before making a decision.   I'm not new to rv's, have had many motorized in my life which I've handled by myself, but have not pulled a trailer for 40 yrs.  All your comments about work arounds are invaluable.  I'm excited to see a Tab and kick tires, etc.,  is there anything else I should pay particular attention to on a used unit?  It appears to be in great shape.  I plan on trips with my dog.  We're in MN, anybody else up here in the north country?   (Still having winter) 
    Be aware that all 2016s were not created equal - at some point the factory started rolling in the 2017 features like Lagun table, SeeLevel II tank monitor, and digital Alde display. IMHO those are valuable features, not that you should automatically reject an earlier 2016 without them, but if they're important to you check to see if the trailer you're looking at has them. They would cost quite a bit to add them to an existing trailer.

The two most expensive appliances to fix are the Alde and the refrigerator, so have the seller demonstrate that hot water and heat are working, and that the fridge cools on AC and lights up on propane.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited March 2018
    @sunny70, lots of us 'up in the north country'!

The Tab is great for cold weather camping! Being so tiny, the Alde keeps it plenty warm. But you probably won't want to use the fresh water plumbing in freezing weather. Keeping it winterized is less work overall.

If you're used to an RV with a forced air heater, you'll have to get used to the fact that hot water radiant heat is a different beast, the most obvious being that it takes longer to hear the space up. 

It seems most people love the heat the Alde puts out. We do.

Chances are, you'll love it.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    Verna said:
    Two pair of Vise Grips (and/or Channel Locks) come in handy if the water regulator somehow gets so tight it can’t be loosened, says the voice of experience.
    In case this was not done and if not, it could help, is to release the pressure from the water system will help unscrew the water hose.  

Basically, turn the water off at the camping suply lime (that I'm sure every body doeas), then, open trailer faucet cold and hot, water pressure will drop and will ease the unscrew the water line. Any system under pressure is harder to take a part, including propane.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    Welcome @sunny70! Our winter finally melted and the robins are back! I have not regretted buying a 2017 320S for one minute. It’s my first trailer, but I’m a long time camper. I love the Alde heat, but do carry a small ceramic heater to warm it up faster until I warm up if needed. Good luck with your decision!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Sunny70, (info from a previous thread) you will want to make sure the S model has a Norcold vent fan to exhaust the heat from the frig - that was second half of 2015 - early 2016's I think.  Upgraded cushions with the 2016 models, late 2016/2017 with shades that pull up and screens that pull down ( earlier models were reversed and had shade sag problems), Lagun table and bed slats standard starting late 2016/early 2017. 

From a thread - changes for 2016:
    • 3D Logos
    • 100% Azdel Backers
    • Radial Tires (2015)
    • 30 amp power cord w/ built in LED light (2015)
    • Fantastic Fans will be clamp on which makes them screw free
    • Corrugated underbelly protectant & insulation
    • No fabric on window valances (they will be like the Outback)
    • Seat Panel Finger Inserts for Finished Look & EZ Opening
    • Upgraded upholstery foam density
    Late 2016 -added Digital Alde display

Also, inquire of any recall work.  I can’t remember, but some S models had a ?propane line resting on the frig fins.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    sunny70sunny70 Member Posts: 11
    Wow Homebodyatheart and Sam, appreciate your comments, makes me rethink the purchase of a new one, may be worth the extra $.  
  • Options
    lauriehartlauriehart Member Posts: 11
    Would those who have trouble bending over, squatting, and/or lying on ground find that an Outback model would be easier than a regular T@B in many ways?  Is everything higher up and thus easier to see/reach/manage on the Outback? (jacks, hoses, coupler etc)
  • Options
    @lauriehart if I know I am going to be doing something that requires more bending than I can give, I carry one of those folding garden kneeler benches that doubles as a small bench seat. While I can still bend and move, some days I'm stiffer than others, and this is helpful. I don't need the amenities of a Bookdocking edition, and do fine with my 320S! Good luck!
  • Options
    newellnewell Member Posts: 182
    What ever happened to LuAnn?

Earl & Sue | Central NY |
    2017 T@B 320S | TV: Chevy Silverado
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    She has not logged on since Oct 2017
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    kaylevine1kaylevine1 Member Posts: 165
    Luanne-I am 66 yrs old and have arthritis in many joints-went by myself for the 1st time over Easter weekend-I take my time setting up-back hurts after putting down 2 stabilizers-I rest in my zero g chair a couple minutes-then I can continue one step at a time all my accessories like small portable grill, aluminum fold out tables etc. I have bought with lifting in mind-the hardest thing is bags of firewood-I do love a campfire-I divide bags of wood into smaller bags n keep in the back of the truck-only take out what I need at that time rather than all the wood-and the generator-got the Honda 2200i which was the lightest weight I could find-keep in the back of the truck chained up only will take out if absolutely need it-and-I'm not above asking for help lifting if need be
  • Options
    KFarriorKFarrior Member Posts: 13
    Hello LuAnn, I have a 2016 Tab Max CS-S. I’ll be 60 this year and have some physical limitations with my legs. I travel and camp in my trailer a lot. I have not had any issues with set up. It’s a fair amount of bending and stooping. It takes me about 15 minutes to fully setup my trailer. I’ve been having the best time with it. I’ve also found that in camp grounds there are always other campers that are willing to help if you need it. Take the leap and enjoy.